Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-05-18, 09:17 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

TBH, I'd be thrilled if I only gained 6 pounds during this process! I've gained almost 20 from before I entered perimenopause to now (51). I'm not 'officially' in menopause yet, but will be in another month if I don't get a period by then.

I've cleaned up my diet somewhat and I exercise, but the exercise I do now is different from what I did when I was younger because I can't seem to handle anything that intense anymore. Intensity makes me gain even more weight. I really haven't found anything that works consistently, but I have lost about 6 pounds in the last couple of months so I'm happy about that.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 09:17 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I'm so glad this topic came up today, as I'm in my mid-40s and I think I've been in perimeno for a few years now. My midsection is nothing but a muffin top.

I've also noticed my PMS symptoms are much, much, much worse, with breast swelling off the charts. For the two weeks before my period, I can't wear a normal bra, and they seem to swell excessively at night. My midsection during those weeks looks like I'm six months prego!

I've tried seed cycling to balance hormones, I've tried progesterone cream (which made everything worse for me!), I've tried cycling my workouts, I've tried changing my diet during the beginning/end of my cycle, I've tried high intensity, I've tried low intensity, I've tried just yoga, I've tried just weights, I've tried just cardio, I've tried all types of diets, I've tried tons of different supplements (all result in either headaches or worse symptoms!). Nothing changes except my weight creeps back up each year.

Sigh.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 09:21 AM  
gjv

I've always kept a food journal, but I have gotten kinda nonchalant with it. I guess I better start taking it serious now.

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-05-18, 09:24 AM  
gjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
TBH, I'd be thrilled if I only gained 6 pounds during this process! I've gained almost 20 from before I entered perimenopause to now (51). I'm not 'officially' in menopause yet, but will be in another month if I don't get a period by then.

I've cleaned up my diet somewhat and I exercise, but the exercise I do now is different from what I did when I was younger because I can't seem to handle anything that intense anymore. Intensity makes me gain even more weight. I really haven't found anything that works consistently, but I have lost about 6 pounds in the last couple of months so I'm happy about that.
My exercise intensity has changed too.

Congrats on the 6 pounds!
Old 01-05-18, 09:35 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
And if you have hypothyroidism (like I do), it's even harder not to gain weight.
Ditto!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 10:36 AM  
IceQueen07

Glad this thread came up. Lately it seems no matter what I do, nothing is helping. I have dialed in my eating, changed workouts. Just turned 52 and have seen an increase in my weight and clothing. Everything just seems to get tighter. It is very discouraging because for the first time I can't figure out what to do to help with this.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 10:38 AM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

This is an excerpt from an article about Margaret Richard. I seem to remember the earlier article they talk about but can't find it.

In one of Margaret’s earlier articles she talks openly about Menopause. This is an issue many women are facing and struggling to find answers for. Even Margaret with her beautiful, fit body faced the same difficulties we do. She wrote “I sailed through my thirties and forties brimming with strength, passion, and infinite possibilities. Then, something changed. I began to experience a seismic shift in my body’s shape with my hormones waning and my body fat gaining. My once lean and muscular frame began to morph like a science experiment gone awry. I was in my early fifties and every ounce of my being oozed menopause.” Sound familiar girls?
http://www.functionalmedicinecoachin...ill-get-shape/

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 11:12 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
About nine months after my last period, I gained six pounds in a month with no changes in my diet or exercise. The only way I was able to get rid of the extra weight was to reduce my calories (sadly).

Erica
This is very normal, unfortunately. I am nearly 53 and still peri...though getting closer, I hope. I gained 20 pounds in two years doing “all the right things”. For me, it was revamping my routine to be more moderate, walking, and eating more whole foods, etc. The other best thing I did was ditching diet drinks...huge difference in how I look and feel.
Old 01-05-18, 11:16 AM  
gjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
Glad this thread came up. Lately it seems no matter what I do, nothing is helping. I have dialed in my eating, changed workouts. Just turned 52 and have seen an increase in my weight and clothing. Everything just seems to get tighter. It is very discouraging because for the first time I can't figure out what to do to help with this.
This! I guess we are in it together!
Old 01-05-18, 11:21 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
The other best thing I did was ditching diet drinks...huge difference in how I look and feel.
I need to do this. I live on artificial sweetener!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, menopause, menopot, peri-menopause, perimenopause, weight gain