Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-17, 03:10 PM  
IceQueen07

I keep going back and forth with purchasing this. Does it need to be done by itself or can you add other workouts?

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 04:31 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
Jeannine, Do you even see a resemblance between Lotte Berk and Callanetics? I used to, probably because I expected there to be one but after 11 months of really trying to understand Callanetics and having access to two great instructors (one trained by Callan herself) to answer questions I see very little resemblance. In one of her books, or maybe an interview she talks about teaching in a studio, not mentioning Lotte Berk, but then she wouldn't. She goes on to talk about people getting hurt, which I can imagine was true when I look at the old historic Lotte Berk video. She started teaching her own moves.

In that thread Tamara gives a great description of Pilates. Romana distilled it to Strength, Stretch and Control.
Not Jeannine, but one reason you may not be seeing the resemblance is that the current Callanetics has gone through several changes from the original Lotte Berk over the decades. Even the 2003 Lotte Berk DVDs are going to be different than the original Lotte Berk. In both cases, as new information came up in exercise science and physiology, the instructors (Callan at least and probably Lotte too) adapted their system to make it safer and more effective.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 04:46 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I tried the Countdown, didn't like it, want to trade it.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 04:48 PM  
IceQueen07

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
I tried the Countdown, didn't like it, want to trade it.
Can I asked what you didn't like about it?

**Candice**
Old 07-29-17, 04:50 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
Can I asked what you didn't like about it?
Sure. Lacey's voice and incessant talking. Lack of mirror cuing.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 04:52 PM  
IceQueen07

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
Sure. Lacey's voice and incessant talking. Lack of mirror cuing.
Thanks. I have never tried, only looked at the youtube videos, that was why I was on the fence, just not sure. But hearing about the results made me interested.

**Candice**
Old 07-29-17, 07:09 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
Not Jeannine, but one reason you may not be seeing the resemblance is that the current Callanetics has gone through several changes from the original Lotte Berk over the decades. Even the 2003 Lotte Berk DVDs are going to be different than the original Lotte Berk. In both cases, as new information came up in exercise science and physiology, the instructors (Callan at least and probably Lotte too) adapted their system to make it safer and more effective.
Actually I was comparing the original Callanetics to the original Lotte Berk and the Extreme momentum was throwing me off.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 07:11 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Not sure if you will see this Jeannine. Though you didn't respond to my question, I've continued to think about this. I actually asked someone certified in both disciplines. I'm waiting to see if she'll allow me to quote her.

She referenced the old Lydia Bach book. THIS IS SIMILAR TO THE VIDEO I SAW. I think that the violence of the movements stunned me to the point that all similarities were then lost on me. If I haven't donated it away, need to look at the book more objectively.
This is what I mean omega.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 07:40 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
This is what I mean omega.
Oh I see what you mean. Yeah, what I remember about Callan is that she used to teach at Lotte Berk, but had adapted it first for herself because her scoliosis needed it, and then started teaching those adaptations in class, and was fired for it. So she started teaching out of her apartment.

I can see the similarities. The main differences are eliminating the bounce (she really was ahead of her time on that - I think even Jane Fonda used to bounce) longer holds, emphasis on relaxation, all resulting in slower moves and therefore probably less exercises per class session. I think the similarities are more obvious to me in the book (probably because they aren't bouncing around in photo.)
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 08:13 PM  
SuzieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
I keep going back and forth with purchasing this. Does it need to be done by itself or can you add other workouts?
I don't see why you can't add in other workouts. I added a bit of cardio.
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
callanetics, callanetics countdown, lacey kondi