Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-08-22, 02:07 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Laura, I'm happy to hear you're on the mend! Good to know that Trim Down can be done seated. Keep on healing up and good luck with the migraines.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-22, 11:44 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Laura, I'm glad things are better!

(I'm sorry that you had problems with Margaret's site. Sorry, but not surprised. She has a history of crappy techno/website issues. I see not much has changed...)

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 12:32 PM  
laurajhawk

Update

I'm posting this followup mostly for VFers who might find this thread on future searches Yesterday I had my final post-op check, mainly a formality as I'd been cleared for everything except high impact four weeks ago. Yesterday's check went well and now I'm cleared for everything.

High impact wasn't much of an impediment for me as I don't run and have been using my dog walks for cardio since I got the boot off 4 weeks ago. Once I had the boot off, I started back to yoga classes - restorative and yin, then vin/yin and slow flow, finally back to my regular vinyasa last week - and started doing the Lift with Cee beginner program (YouTube). This worked well for me because it's simple straightforward lifting at a slow pace - that allowed me time to think through any modifications (there weren't many) and to make sure I was safe. I started with low-ish weights because I had used only light weights during my "chair workout" phase, and also because my balance was initially off. Just this week I moved on to Lift with Cee 40-4-40.

The biggest problem at first - walking, lifting, and in yoga - was the stiff ankle from the boot. That resolved - well, 80% resolved - in a week or ten days. It took about the same amount of time to get past the imbalances from walking wonky in the boot The fused toe itself mainly affects vinyasa yoga and plank work. I can do most things in vinyasa, including plank and chaturanga, but it feels odd and some things are harder than they were. Holding plank is stressful on the toe; in yesterday's 40-4-40 workout there were renegade rows, and I did the first set on my toes (in shoes - I am wearing my Hoka Bondi 7 shoes for all weight work) and the second and third set on my knees.

Overall I'm glad I had the surgery, glad I have a huge number of workouts to choose from, and REALLY GLAD that I had my VFers to give me advice when I needed it!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 12:57 PM  
Erica H.

Great update, Laura! I'm so happy for you!

I'm 7 1/2 months post-op and still have pain but I was told my surgery would be a one year recovery. It's been discouraging because I'm worse off now than I was pre-op but hoping for the best.

So glad you are doing well!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 09:20 PM  
geojill

Laura, I’m glad you’re doing better. Thanks for the follow-up as I still search the forum for a lot (even if I rarely post) and it will be helpful for anyone in the future to hear your resolution.
Old 07-24-22, 08:43 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good news Laura! Thanks for checking in and sharing your progress.

Erica, I'm sorry your recovery is taking so long and that you feel you are worse off. I can't imagine how frustrated you are.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chair workouts, foot surgery, getting better, margaret richard download