Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-22, 11:53 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I've switched now to 2-3 total body strength workouts (Cathe) a week with my highest of a 15 lb dumbbell.
Hi Lori - which Cathe workouts do you do and how many minutes per session? You are my inspiration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I love to tag threads for some weird reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Dawn, I am a behind-the-scenes tagger too!
I do this quite often - really good threads from the past! as a matter of fact, i spent a short session tagging threads from 2004! was trying to look for something in VF that i found via Google search. sometimes, my virus software blocks a thread from VF saying "not having privacy" and i want to view the thread, so i go back to that date in VF itself to try to find the thread the hard way. but i get to read some very good threads from the past.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-22, 10:40 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
Hi Lori - which Cathe workouts do you do and how many minutes per session? You are my inspiration!
I love Cathe Live, so I usually do my favorite weight ones or her newest one that week if it is more weight focused. I tend to do the ones that are around 45 mins and then do a CS ep after. Then the next day I'll do a 30 min (or longer if I have time) Essentrics. I work from home so I work out on my lunch break. If I'm sore or tired, I totally skip it that day until my muscles feel ready again. I don't do anything on weekends at all. I guess it's usually Mondays and Thursdays Cathe, then Tuesdays and Fridays Essentrics. I have been skipping Wednesdays simply because I"ve been too busy (but my muscles like the break). I get up from my desk and move around every hour and drink a lot of water through the day.

I find it much easier to maintain a calorie deficit and hit my macros with less workouts. I literally track everything that I put in my mouth now, and wow it was shocking how off I was when I first started. It's 1000% the calorie input rather than the calorie output for me! Susan Niebergall's book Fit at Any Age and her Instagram have a lot of good info.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-22, 11:38 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

thanks, smart calorie input is the only thing that works for me as well.

thanks for the info about the length of your workouts.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-22, 08:01 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Strength training has changed my body like nothing else. Yes, calorie deficit is primary in losing weight - but that hasn't changed my body, just made it smaller. Strength training has added muscle, which has slimmed me down in a way that just losing weight wouldn't achieve and it has made me less of the type I am (pear, apple) at the time.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-22, 08:19 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
Strength training has changed my body like nothing else. Yes, calorie deficit is primary in losing weight - but that hasn't changed my body, just made it smaller. Strength training has added muscle, which has slimmed me down in a way that just losing weight wouldn't achieve and it has made me less of the type I am (pear, apple) at the time.
That is wonderful and very encouraging. I am so glad it worked so well for you.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-22, 09:05 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
Laura, I agree. On rare occasions when I get really stressed, I wind up having less of an appetite and losing some weight (5 pounds or so). It tends to come entire off the area of my ribcage, the part of my body that is already the slimmest!

If I'm doing more strength training, my weight is always a few pounds higher - but I look and feel better.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio vs weights, kcm power splits, no cardio, results, strength building, strength focus, strength training, warrior plan, weights only, weights vs cardio