Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-21, 12:59 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

On high-stress-no-time days I like to do something for my mental and emotional health as well as my physical health. I often do a 10 or 15 minute bedtime stretch to both unkink and to relax before sleep. Sometimes I even do it on the bed if I won't disturb DH. Then I try for at least 5 minutes of meditation in bed before I fall asleep. Occasionally I'm asleep before 5 minutes. These not only help me sleep better but are things I find I need to do daily to keep my body and brain working smoothly. They feel like a reward for getting through the day as well as checking off the Doing Something box, so I look forward to it. And I know if I don't do them I won't sleep as well and won't feel as good the next day.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-21, 01:51 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I am not as busy as you are, but I only exercise 5 days a week. I find that something always comes up and I miss a day. I don't sweat it, and just exercise the next day. I found 6 days a week just never happened for me so I went down to 5.

I guess I'm saying don't lock yourself into a schedule that just adds more stress in your life. You've received excellent suggestions, but allow yourself a break, maybe just not do it on your busy days.
Old 11-09-21, 03:50 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I have two full days in office, and three at home. Weekends are primarily chauffeuring teenagers to events/games and I also do freelance work, and never-ending outside work/housework.

I used to want to work out six days a week. Tried and failed. Gave myself multiple injuries. I'm also nearly 50 now, so perimenopause has kicked my butt.

My current schedge: I only work out on the days that I'm home. I do mostly metabolic weight workouts (Cathe) followed by a CS/Ess, combined is about an hour. On the days in the office, I try to just walk on the treadmill in the evening after dinner for about half an hour and listen to a podcast but I don't exhaust myself and if I'm too tired then I'm too tired. I try to do a CS/Essentrics workout on Saturdays before taking care of everything else. If I don't do it before, it doesn't get done.

I've tried fitting in smaller chunks on long days but even that was too much. I find I'm better mentally and without as many injuries if I just keep it simple.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-21, 06:02 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

When my twins were babies, I take 1-2 hour nap when they go to bed. After a nap, I am fresh 'again' to work out. Then back to bed. Wake up when they get up in the morning. Weird schedule, but it worked for me.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-21, 10:32 PM  
DCW

When I started my exercise journey, I put my exercise mat beside my bed. When my feet hit the floor and felt the mat, it reminded me to do my situps, planks and pushups for a few minutes. It wasn't a lot but it got me started. Yes I slept in my exercise clothes too.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-21, 08:52 PM  
Scorpio6

Isometrics

Get Victoria Principal's book. Movie stars have hellacious schedules, too. I think The Body Principal might be the name of the book. You can get it on Amazon.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-21, 09:05 PM  
ellaenchanted

I would just do 5 days. Rest and managing stress is just as important as exercise.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-21, 01:35 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
Get Victoria Principal's book. Movie stars have hellacious schedules, too. I think The Body Principal might be the name of the book. You can get it on Amazon.
or the public library.

i remember when that book came out in the 80s - it was all the rage.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-21, 01:21 AM  
jennstar

I work in health care, in a busy hospital working nights. I prioritize sleep on my working days and aim to get at least 7-8k steps. I don’t worry about working out, because I hit it hard on my off days with weights and cardio. Don’t worry about working out in your long stressful days, just try to get steps and maybe mini 5 minute stretches and walks.
jennstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-21, 09:32 PM  
DCW

Jennstar I am loving your idea. I am headed back to the office with more days required. I have been trying to figure out how to make my workouts the same. I think your approach is doable for me, too.

Thanks!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duration and frequency, fitting it all in, mental block, morning exercise, motivation, schedules, scheduling workouts