Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-14, 09:43 AM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Ughhh now Ebay reporting it was hacked

http://www.clickondetroit.com/money/...-hack/26095020

I'm beginning to think that I should have NO internet presence whatsoever. This is distressing of course.
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 09:49 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

This article says that eBay will be resetting everyone's passwords.

Isn't that something you're supposed to do yourself?

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 10:15 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I suppose they'll reset the passwords and then email us to tell us to go in and reset them again. That way they can assure they're reset and not have to rely on us to get around to doing it initially.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 10:40 AM  
ruthular

Ugh. My debit card just got hacked and the person bought $189 worth of makeup at sephora and a membership at christian mingle.

I give up. Brick and mortar from now on.
ruthular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 10:46 AM  
dela

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthular View Post
Ugh. My debit card just got hacked and the person bought $189 worth of makeup at sephora and a membership at christian mingle.

I give up. Brick and mortar from now on.
This is nuts, all of this. Why do so many people think it's OK to just steal???

Maybe the membership could help you track down the actual person? The Sephora purchase would indicate a female stole it.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 10:51 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
It doesn't seem like a very Christian thing to do.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 11:06 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Wow, so sorry for the hassle you are facing ... but I have to say that this made me LOL. I mean, talk about the irony.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 11:10 AM  
Stephanie_B

I've had people steal our card numbers, have items delivered, and nothing was done (I mean the charges were removed, but nothing further). I was told I could go to Florida to file a police report at the time, but geez sorry I didn't think it was worth flying from Texas. I feel the banks just pass the charges onto us versus prosecuting.

I wish brick and mortar were safer, the first time I had my SSN and credit card stolen was long before internet.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 11:36 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Based on how all these major hacks have taken place at sites/stores/universities I frequent, I'm beginning to wonder if I am not the hacker.
Old 05-21-14, 11:45 AM  
Diavolobella
VF Supporter

Ebay

Ebay said credit card information was not involved, but you should change your password anyway.

Stephanie, a friend of mine had her credit card information stolen and called the merchants that the person bought things from. All of them were able to cancel the purchases except one, who had already shipped it. He gave her the shipment address in Buffalo, NY. She called the USPS there and the police department and was fortunate enough to get a detective who cared. They coordinated with the USPS on the delivery to make sure it wasn't a situation where the package was dropped off on a porch and someone came up and took off with it. It wasn't. The young man used his actual address and when he accepted the package, they arrested him. He confessed that he'd bought her card number in a chat room on Google. He ended up being convicted. The detective told him, "You picked the wrong person to steal from." She, like me, is a paralegal and she wasn't going to take it sitting down. I thought you might like to hear that sometimes the bad guys do get caught.

"We all want the looooove...without the handles!" Tracy Effinger

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Diavolobella is offline   Reply With Quote