Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-14, 05:00 AM  
SpiritSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by marya View Post
Just read the following on Total Fitness Forum:

lildebbie121 wrote:
Many have posted that Collage put one over on them, but I don't think that is what happened at all. I called Collage today to find out what was going on. I asked if they were staying in business. The woman on the phone said they weren't, but the new company that bought them out would be in business. The new company bought the "Collage Video" name, grid and website address. No one was able to keep their job. The new company is on the East Coast and keeping any former employees was not part of the deal. The new company just wanted the name, grid and website. I believed her.
Thank you for the information.
Old 04-11-14, 05:36 AM  
Carol K

I thank you as well. Sounds like our Collage really is gone.
Old 04-11-14, 08:22 AM  
dianestjohn

I wonder who the purchaser is? I wonder if it's Cathe's company? I hope it's a company whose people understand fitness dvds and have some background in that area. I keep thinking of the late beloved Borders Books which (I heard, not sure if it's true) was bought out by a company who knew nothing about books but just wanted something to turn a profit - at that point the Borders stores changed in character, stock and quality and soon thereafter, Poof, they were gone...
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 08:30 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

That's what I thought, that the name and domain got sold, much like with Circuit City and Montgomery Ward, which only exist online now.

So Jill Ross is no longer with them? (Maybe that was the woman on the phone?)

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 10:06 AM  
Bebop

So the company was sold and they sold their name and website and domain.
probably sold the goodwill and customer lists too.

Hmmm - probably should have just not said anything - had a big closeout sale and then the new company should have announced Collage video under new management.

I'm staying with Mary for now and Cathe and the individual instructor sites.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 10:19 AM  
Judy W.

So, OUR Collage is indeed gone! It's evidently a NEW company taking the name. They will do well to be very upfront with the customer base in letting us know who they are. It would NOT be a good thing for them to continue with language like "We'll be back .... will still have the same great features..."etc., which makes it sound like it's the same people we've been doing business with all along. Obviously it's not, and our friends in Minneapolis have no part in this.

We'll see how transparent they choose to be. Meanwhile, we have Mary!

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 10:22 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
So the company was sold and they sold their name and website and domain.
probably sold the goodwill and customer lists too.

Hmmm - probably should have just not said anything - had a big closeout sale and then the new company should have announced Collage video under new management.
I do think that a certain amount of transparency is helpful.

People who aren't keeping track of things as closely as this community really do have the right to know that the company is owned and run by other people now.

Forewarned is forearmed, or something. (I'm not trying to say that anything bad will necessarily happen, just that it's always wise to approach new, or 'new to you' businesses with a certain amount of caution and research.)

I hope the new company is a good one, I really do, but mostly I hope they aren't going to invade my privacy or use my personal information in a way that makes me uncomfortable.

I made the choice to do business with the old Collage, and I do wonder what assumptions this new company thinks they have the right to make about information I shared with the old company.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 11:41 AM  
Stephanie_B

I cannot necessarily blame the new owners for not wanting people to see the change, some people who do not buy regularly won't know anyway, because they bought really Collage's reputation and hopefully the positives will stay intact.

But I am concerned they have our information, although not any more concerned than if Amazon or something was sold.

It probably was a last minute deal, granted they could have shared more and like I said upthread I will be more cautious anyway. Plus between Mary, Amazon, and instructor sites...really there's enough information out there for me to make informed decisions now as far as purchases.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 12:23 PM  
Diavolobella
VF Supporter

Good information

It's good to know what actually is happening. It's sad that the original owners didn't have something happen at the last minute that would have allowed them to continue. I'm glad we know the "new" Collage is not them. The facts of a situation are always helpful and knowing this makes the situation much clearer. The new company purchased the goodwill that goes along with the name, and that explains exactly why the former owners said nothing. They are probably contractually obligated not to reveal that, so that the goodwill which was purchased along with the name isn't devalued.

The new owners probably aren't prepared for the inquisitive nature of VFers, but they should be. I think many of us feel a personal connection and brand loyalty to people like Collage and Total Fitness DVDs that is uncommon for most online businesses and with that comes a type of possessiveness (for lack of a better word) like you'd have for a sports team. Just like some of us are Firm Believers and Cathelites, etc. We feel the same way about Collage and TFDVDS. Look at the way we are on a first name basis with Mary. LOL. They have been our virtual "neighborhood stores" for a long time so we all feel we have a personal stake in them. It will be interesting to see if the new Collage can maintain that personal interest going forward.

"We all want the looooove...without the handles!" Tracy Effinger

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Diavolobella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 03:17 PM  
Jane1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diavolobella View Post
The new owners probably aren't prepared for the inquisitive nature of VFers, but they should be.
Agreed! I fully intended to continue to be a Collage customer, but marya's post is giving me second thoughts...but I do still hope that they'll continue to have the excellent workout breakdowns on their website. I miss that already!
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collage