Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-14, 04:50 AM  
kathym
VF Supporter

I feel lucky that I was able to purchase the workouts at the reduced price. I found a new instructor that I had wanted to try for a long while. I always like the Collage site so will be interested to see what is in the future.
Old 04-10-14, 05:28 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I am glad Collage is not going out of business, especially if they are still publishing the catalogs. That said, I believe that Collage knew it was not going out of business when it had the sale, and even if it had been a possibility, the company certainly knew then that there was an alternative business plan which would keep it up and running.

This is a classic tactic of businesses that want attention and a quick influx of sales, to say they are having a going out of business sale and not go out of business. I thought it was very odd that during the sale, some of the DVDs were still being offered for full price and that inventory quantity was shown as being slim to none and then suddenly more inventory showed up. It will be interesting to see what inventory shows up on the site and the timing.

So Collage was not honest about going out of business, but people who need money sometimes act in desperate ways. They are probably frustrated that Amazon and Mary have cut their profits.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 07:18 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I guess they could have called it a liquidation sale?

There used to be a very small number of workout dvds that could be purchased anywhere except Collage, so I was glad they were around. I learned about so many new instructors because of them.
Old 04-10-14, 10:00 AM  
3ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diavolobella View Post
I think some people are missing the point of my post. I don't think I ever used the word "duped" but the fact remains that there is something wrong with telling people you are closing, causing them to stock up on things they might have bought casually over a longer period of time rather than in a rush and then taking it back. Let's say:

• The purple banana store announces it is closing and you love purple bananas.
  • It the only store that sells purple bananas (and in this case, there were some workouts that only Collage carried), so this increases immediate demand.
  • Assuming it's your last chance to get purple bananas, you buy $100 worth of them, whereas normally you might only spend $20 each month on purple bananas. It's not a matter of not being able to afford the $100, but that you try to budget for your purple bananas.
  • The purple banana store then announces they aren't closing.

Yes, you might have bought $100 worth of purple bananas that year anyway, but not all at once and not because you thought your supply was getting cut off so you had no choice if you wanted some purple bananas. That's the problem here. Yes, you willingly made the larger purchase but only because you were told the supply was being cut off, which was false information. There is a difference between persuasive advertising and false advertising. Intentionally manipulating information about supply to drive up demand and increase immediate sales is a questionable, if not deceitful tactic. I'd be interested to see what Collage's explanation turns out to be. If they held a "going out of business" sale to clear their inventory, that's pretty lame. They could have just called it an "inventory reduction sale." However, if something happened at the last minute to save their business and it wasn't intentional, then it's excusable and understandable. It is a very strange situation though and I guess what happened will all come to light at some point.

I don't have a horse in this race or anything since my order never went through, but dealing these sorts of situations and the questions that arise in them are part of what I do for a living as a paralegal, so it's just ingrained habit to dissect them.
This. Very well put and explained.
Old 04-10-14, 10:36 AM  
Severen

Yay!! *does happy dance*
Old 04-10-14, 11:09 AM  
Shelbyfit

Quote:
I don't have a horse in this race or anything since my order never went through, but dealing these sorts of situations and the questions that arise in them are part of what I do for a living as a paralegal, so it's just ingrained habit to dissect them.
Just wanted to say it's nice to see a fellow paralegal on here and I too dissect and overanalyze everything to the nth degree.
Shelbyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 11:16 AM  
Diavolobella
VF Supporter

:)

Thanks. I'm glad I'm not the only person who can't resist the urge to dissect.

I also have a large quantity of purple bananas for those who like them. Sadly, they are invisible purple bananas, however the upside is that they are free.

"We all want the looooove...without the handles!" Tracy Effinger

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Diavolobella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 11:20 AM  
Stephanie_B

So they have to be calorie free if invisible right? My question is are they burp free? Unfortunately, the older I've gotten the less I can eat bananas.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 11:23 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diavolobella View Post
I also have a large quantity of purple bananas for those who like them. Sadly, they are invisible purple bananas, however the upside is that they are free.
How about fish slaps? Are they still free???

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 11:24 AM  
Stephanie_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
How about fish slaps? Are they still free???

And bananas! Oh my.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collage