Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-14, 02:11 PM  
dianestjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan View Post
There's something a little hinky about the whole thing, that I can't put my finger on. Hopefully, since it is a relatively small community, Collage will have an explanation about what happened.
I agree. Although this could all be random, I feel a little manipulated, but at the same time joyful, assuming the website will be pretty much the same as it was. I just am mournful that my wishlist no longer exists. I'm also wondering how Mary feels, I think she added a forum to her website and maybe was in the process of making other changes knowing that she would be the go-to website and now that's changed.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 03:07 PM  
Diavolobella
VF Supporter

Weird

I feel weird about the whole situation. I put in an order and the entire thing was cancelled, so I didn't lose out financially. Here's the thing though, if my order hadn't been cancelled I would be pretty annoyed even if I got the items at a discount. The reason is, I would not have made a big purchase in the first place if I hadn't felt I would have no other source to get those DVDs from and felt pressured to "buy now before it's too late". Mary and Amazon don't always carry the same things Collage does so they aren't an alternative source for everything out there. To me, if you buy a bunch of things you weren't planning on buying, even if you got a discount, you didn't save anything. You made a big expenditure you wouldn't have made otherwise. Does that make sense? I'm sure there are some who spent a lot more than their usual budget buying from Collage because they thought it was their last chance. That's the part that bugs me.

I'd pretty much switched entirely to buying from Mary and I think I'll continue to do so.

"We all want the looooove...without the handles!" Tracy Effinger

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Diavolobella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 04:25 PM  
shoegoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by fit44 View Post
I agree. It's Mary or Amazon for me.
Me too.

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 04:26 PM  
lindseylu8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump higher View Post
collage video has been such a great and honest business for so long -- like 27 years? -- it doesn't make sense they would suddenly become dishonest and/or "manipulative." ....
this.

You can find a link to my fitness blog in my profile
lindseylu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 05:05 PM  
Eibhinn

This is so unexpected. Even though I used their website for years, I only started buying from Collage in the past year, when their shipping costs to Canada started to be more in line with actual shipping costs, and they started offering some discounts. I placed one order during the sale and spent $40 including shipping on five DVDs that would have cost me over a hundred dollars to buy elsewhere. I didn't go completely hogwild during the sale, knowing that Mary and Amazon will continue to exist. I don't feel duped.

I don't think that they were being dishonest about going out of business - if they were, it was a very convincing performance from all involved. I often wondered how they could possibly economically justify having such a massive stock of often very old videos. I mean, think about the accrued storage costs of endlessly holding on to hundreds of copies of really old workouts pretty much no one will ever buy because you refuse to mark them down, even a little bit. It's entirely possible that with all of that dead weight cleared out, and a new influx of money as a result, the financial prospects of the company are looking up. And I can see the company being more attractive to a new buyer with all of the declarations of love from popular instructors. And, yeah, as others have mentioned, they probably got a lot of free market research via this forum and elsewhere with the discussion of their closing.

It sucks that some people had bad experiences with Collage during the liquidation, but it's not entirely surprising - the whole thing seemed chaotic. I don't have any bad feelings toward Collage, and am interested to see what their new iteration looks like. Hopefully it includes fair shipping prices to Canada. Otherwise, I wish them well but I'll continue to shop elsewhere.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 05:29 PM  
Wanda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump Higher View Post
Collage Video has been such a great and honest business for so long -- like 27 years? -- it doesn't make sense they would suddenly become dishonest and/or "manipulative." I'm not going down that road. I've purchased from CV for at least 20 years and never had a bad experience with them.

Glad they are staying open, and I hope it's the same owners.
ITA.

I'm hoping the new Collage will be exactly the same but, realistically, they'll have to do some things differently this time around or they'll end up out of business for good.
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 06:00 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenara25 View Post
I had to pursue my refund by emailing at least 3x before someone confirmed that I had not been sent my Paypal refund. I immediately received a Paypal refund notice. It was only $13.99 but every little bit counts.
I too had to email at least 3 times to receive my refund for which they kept saying I would not be charged but already had been charged.
In the end it was refunded but I had to fight for it. I was also met with a shade under rudeness in an email from them but have decided to put it down to their stress with filling thousands of orders, going out of business and perhaps my directness.

Ironically I found out in my last two orders that Collage was actually cheaper for shipping then Mary. When did that happen? I stopped buying from Collage because of the extremely expensive international shipping.
I will be looking with interest to see what happens and it will be good to see Collage back.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 06:24 PM  
carole r.

I'm happy they're back. I didn't take part in the buying frenzy. It was too late already. I don't think there was any evil plot afoot. I hope they come back and stay in business. I'll still order from them.
Old 04-08-14, 06:26 PM  
Bebop

I am going to be very cautious with future orders from them.

I haven't bought anything new in a while but I am happy with Mary. I also have never had any problems with Cathe's site.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 07:02 PM  
SherBear

I don't feel manipulated. Good point though. They charged too much for a long time and their clients found better pricing, service. I don't need the live reps on the phone when i buy a ..heh started to type video..dvd. I need a clip, reviews, VF and at times, a glass of wine.
I'll be Very happy if they make a come back.

[QUOTE=BunnyHop;2385812]

Also, if the loyal customers feel they've been manipulated? Not good in the long or short term.
SherBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collage