Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-17, 09:03 AM  
SpiritYogi

Organic Mattress

I am in the market for a new mattress and have decided to get an all natural, organic latex mattress. I found a couple reputable sites that I might order from:

plushbeds.com
savvyrest.com

Has anyone ordered from either of those sites? Also, has anyone switched to an all natural, organic mattress? If so, please share your experience.

Thanks!
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 10:15 PM  
Loriann

I haven’t bought an organic mattress although I wish we had! We bought an adjustable split king bed and mattresses at a local mattress store. The smell that came off those mattresses when they were delivered was horrific!!!

We kept them in our bedroom with the door closed, the windows open and exhaust vent in the adjoining bathroom running for 20 days before I would let us sleep on them! I also ran the air purifier in the room. I am very sensitive to odors and those mattresses stunk! Luckily we could sleep downstairs in the guest room while waiting to use our new bed.

Now, I did buy organic cotton sheets that I love from Sol Organics. You can usually find a coupon code for them, but if you can’t and are interested, PM me and I will send you a referral email for a discount. I have no association with them, just one of the few places that sell organic sheets for split king beds. The quality is excellent, they are fair trade and the price is good. I also bought an organic cotton blanket form pottery barn that is very nice.

Good luck with the mattress!
Lori
Old 11-20-17, 11:16 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Dena, we bought an organic latex mattress about ten years ago. I can't remember the brand name. We have been sleeping on it every night for ten years and it doesn't show any signs of wear - no low spots etc. We like it and I would buy another one. You don't need box springs with a latex mattress - we got a platform bed. We couldn't find one to suit us (too low) so DH made one.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-17, 01:53 PM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
Dena, we bought an organic latex mattress about ten years ago. I can't remember the brand name. We have been sleeping on it every night for ten years and it doesn't show any signs of wear - no low spots etc. We like it and I would buy another one. You don't need box springs with a latex mattress - we got a platform bed. We couldn't find one to suit us (too low) so DH made one.
That is one of the many positive comments I'm reading about organic latex mattresses -- they last a long, long time and show very little (if any) wear after years of use. I also have a platform bed but had to add a box spring because it is too low for me. Will your husband custom make one for me too?
Old 11-21-17, 01:50 PM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriann View Post
I haven’t bought an organic mattress although I wish we had! We bought an adjustable split king bed and mattresses at a local mattress store. The smell that came off those mattresses when they were delivered was horrific!!!

Now, I did buy organic cotton sheets that I love from Sol Organics. You can usually find a coupon code for them, but if you can’t and are interested, PM me and I will send you a referral email for a discount. I have no association with them, just one of the few places that sell organic sheets for split king beds. The quality is excellent, they are fair trade and the price is good. I also bought an organic cotton blanket form pottery barn that is very nice.

Good luck with the mattress!
Lori
If you really want to freak yourself out, do some research on mattresses that contain non-organic materials and chemical fire retardants. Although many people 'air them out' when they first purchase a new mattress, the chemicals off-gas for years and can have many negative effects. I will definitely PM you about the Sol Organic sheets since I'll be in the market for them as well. Thank you!
Old 11-21-17, 09:27 PM  
Loriann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
If you really want to freak yourself out, do some research on mattresses that contain non-organic materials and chemical fire retardants. Although many people 'air them out' when they first purchase a new mattress, the chemicals off-gas for years and can have many negative effects. I will definitely PM you about the Sol Organic sheets since I'll be in the market for them as well. Thank you!
Ah, yes. I did all that research already after the mattresses were delivered and giving off their toxic fumes. I desperately wanted to return them but DH would have none of it. I still run the air purifier every day - probably more for the placebo effect than anything

The next time, it will be organic mattresses! It will be interesting to know which one you choose and why.
Lori
Old 11-21-17, 09:52 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I've heard great thing about organic latex mattresses. We'll be in the market for a new mattress soon and I'm looking into them myself. Will be curious to see what you choose.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 08:50 AM  
SpiritYogi

I will certainly post what I purchased and why. Considering the hours of research I've done already, I (hope) to make a very educated decision.
Old 11-30-17, 12:24 PM  
ChelePA

I just want to thank you for this thread. We have been talking mattresses for the past few months. I never considered organic prior to your post. But today I bought the organic mattress from Plush as well as some organic sheets from Sol. It’s a surprise Christmas gift for my husband. Plus we’re celebrating 20 years soon so it’s a combo gift. I’ll let you know if I like it
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 03:40 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
I just want to thank you for this thread. We have been talking mattresses for the past few months. I never considered organic prior to your post. But today I bought the organic mattress from Plush as well as some organic sheets from Sol. It’s a surprise Christmas gift for my husband. Plus we’re celebrating 20 years soon so it’s a combo gift. I’ll let you know if I like it
Yes please! (Which one did you buy?)
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
latex, mattress, mattresses