Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-04-11, 08:45 AM  
alisoncooks

Is there another workout like KCM's Cardio Blast?

I've reacquired a step.
I'm seriously considering reacquiring KCM's Cardio Blast.

I did it one time a loooong time ago. I remember having a "blast" and being sweaty but exhilarated and challenged...but I parted with it. IDK why. Cause I'm fickle or moved on to something else. But that's beside the point.

Anyway, I have been looking at step clips and am noting how unique KCM's CB appears to be:
simple choreography
not dancey at all
fun boxing/kickboxing moves thrown in
athletic moves
low-impact modifier shown
short format (30 min!)

I can't find anything else like this. I am choreo-challenged. Gilad's Step tripped me up. I can't do any turns, reverses, mambos, over the top...that is WAY past my mental-physical collaboration.

So, IS there anything like Cardio Blast? What about KCM's Step Boxing? (is that one of hers with the terrible cueing?)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 08:52 AM  
neatski

Cathe's Intensity is one of the closest, but she does not show a low impact modifier, so you'd have to modify on your own.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 09:17 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Hi Alison! I don't step much but I Cardio Blast. I'm clumsy and need step to be very simple, but then it runs the risk of being mind-numbingly repetitive. Anyway, I have a short list of step workouts I'll do (though only KCM completely fulfills your requirements).

My must-have's:
~KCM's Cardio Blast (of course!)
~Cathe's Basic Step (She teaches this very well - I was shocked to find I could do "around the worlds"!)
~Debra Mazda's Let Get Stepping! (very simple, fun music, I love it)

Others I like. Haven't done them in a while so don't recall their details, but they're either a bit more complicated/dancey or longer (or both). Some I'm still learning. :
~Kari Anderson's Go
~Christi Taylor's Mission Possible
~Cathe's Low Impact Step
~Keli Roberts' Ultimate Step (on VHS)
~Gilad's Step (but I know you didn't like it)
~Cher's New Attitude (also with Keli, also on VHS)

As you can see I don't experiment a lot when it comes to step so I'd love to hear other, newer recommendations.

Re: KCM's step-boxing workouts: I adore her but really can't recommend her earlier step workouts; I found they moved way too fast and were too complicated for me. You might have an easier time, of course.

Quick question: was it you who once claimed that step aggravated her varicose veins? I ask because I have a vein 'situation' as well and was/am concerned. I definitely don't want to aggravate mine either. I haven't seen a correlation but then - as mentioned - I do step very infrequently.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 08:18 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
My must-have's:
~KCM's Cardio Blast (of course!)
~Cathe's Basic Step (She teaches this very well - I was shocked to find I could do "around the worlds"!)
~Debra Mazda's Let Get Stepping! (very simple, fun music, I love it)
There's something really fun about Debra Mazda's Let's Get Stepping. It's a favorite of mine.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 10:00 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I know, Diana. Let's Get Stepping is a fun no-dread workout, isn't it!

I was inspired by this thread to do KCM's Cardio Blast today. So fun, and I was able to follow Kelly for everything but the bench hops (I followed Samantha then).
Old 04-05-11, 06:42 AM  
Diana3271

Quote:
I know, Diana. Let's Get Stepping is a fun no-dread workout, isn't it!
I enjoy the music in this one like you mentioned earlier.

I also like Cathe's Basic Step. Gin Miller has some nice options. Don't forget about the Jenny Ford workout, that will hopefully be released soon.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-11, 03:45 PM  
CarlaShanti

I just looked at Cathe's Intensity. I thought it looked boring. Same moves over and over, endless jumping.

I like Cathe's Step Moves, although I know it's not terribly popular around here. Ever tried that one?
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 09:24 AM  
Fit Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I've reacquired a step.
I'm seriously considering reacquiring KCM's Cardio Blast.

I did it one time a loooong time ago. I remember having a "blast" and being sweaty but exhilarated and challenged...but I parted with it. IDK why. Cause I'm fickle or moved on to something else. But that's beside the point.

Anyway, I have been looking at step clips and am noting how unique KCM's CB appears to be:
simple choreography
not dancey at all
fun boxing/kickboxing moves thrown in
athletic moves
low-impact modifier shown
short format (30 min!)

I can't find anything else like this. I am choreo-challenged. Gilad's Step tripped me up. I can't do any turns, reverses, mambos, over the top...that is WAY past my mental-physical collaboration.

So, IS there anything like Cardio Blast? What about KCM's Step Boxing? (is that one of hers with the terrible cueing?)
I can't help you on comparisons to kcm, but if you are looking for super simple step choreography that's intense...get cathe's new intensity DVD...I love it! Simple, but INTENSE! I can't say enough about what a great workout this is! Hth
Fit Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 09:30 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Does Intensity have premixes, or can it easily be shortened?

ETA - ok, just looked it up on Collage and see that the step section is only 25 mins!
ETAA - According to Cathe's site it has a bunch of premixes:
1. Maximum Intensity – 70.21
2. Step Only – 36.30
3. Step + HiiT (Hi) + Boot Camp – 59.09
4. Step + HiiT (Lo) + Boot Camp – 60.23
5. Timesaver - Step + HiiT (Hi)- 46.26
6. Timesaver - Step + HiiT (Lo) – 47.40
7. Timesaver – Step + Boot Camp – 49.13
8. Timesaver - Double HiiT and Boot Camp – 45.44
9. Timesaver – HiiT (Lo) + Boot Camp – 35.49
Old 04-04-11, 09:39 AM  
alisoncooks

Neatski & Fit Mommy~ Thanks for that rec, I'll go check it out, especially since I'm just getting interested in Cathe!

Quote:
Quick question: was it you who once claimed that step aggravated her varicose veins? I ask because I have a vein 'situation' as well and was/am concerned. I definitely don't want to aggravate mine either. I haven't seen a correlation but then - as mentioned - I do step very infrequently.
Thanks for the suggestions Gina (and actually, I do like Gilad's step...but it gets a little repetitive and I still end up clumsily fumbling through it).

Yes, I did think step bothered my varicose veins. When I bought my step last year, I did several step workouts (3-4 in a week, maybe). I had had NO vein issues/pain before that...and then, quite suddenly, I did. Felt like a connection to me, but who can say? I actually sold my step & step videos right away b/c I didn't wanna take the chance.

Fast-forward, LOL. I got a cheap step ($20!) on craigslist to use as a weight bench for Jari Love workouts, etc. Started fondly remembering Cardio Blast....and well...here we are.

What a slippery slope.
I don't plan on doing A LOT of step, maybe 1x a week or so. So maybe Cardio Blast is sufficient for that.

(Sorry for the book )
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio blast, simple cardio, step