Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-04-21, 09:43 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Brooke Shields broke femur using balance board with cylinder

Just saw this on the news - how awful!
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tra...ry/vp-BB1f8xrf

i saw these balance boards with a cylinder several years ago, and knew there was no way i would try using one of them. i've had really good success with a bosu in strengthening my core and balance, so never had any desire to get a balance board with cylinder.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-21, 09:48 PM  
Leonana

And she came down with a staph infection that required surgery and three blood transfusions. How awful for her.

I could see using it with the cushion underneath, but the cylinder looks dangerous.
Old 04-04-21, 10:47 PM  
fanofladyvols

Yikes!!! Talk about the worst case scenario plus rough recovery

That's awful .

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 08:11 AM  
alisoncooks

Yikes indeed.
The older I get, the more mindful I am of risky moves. That balance board looks like a potential sprained ankle at the very least.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 09:57 AM  
Taiga

I have had an Indo board for about 15 years now. It is an excellent balance tool and far more challenging than a bosu. I initially purchased it to up my snowboarding game but it has been useful for other workouts. When using it, I tend to let my TRX hang down so that I have something to grab if I go off balance. I also use it on a flexi-roll mat to soften any falls.

I just read the headline and summary and didn't search for details (not that you can trust sensationalist driven reporting these days any way). I'm not sure what type of surface she was on, but femurs are typically dense and harder to break in a limited fall. There may have been other factors involved. Osteopenia/osteoporosis can drastically change the outcome of a fall.

So sorry for her --hope she makes a full and speedy recovery.
Old 04-05-21, 10:37 AM  
kat999

YIKES. She's only 10 years older than me. Yesterday I did a FIRM Wave workout (not the same device as what she was on, but not that dissimilar) and I regularly use that and their ZIP trainer, which you often stand on in an unbalanced way. I always felt like those systems and devices were great at strengthening the core without a lot of crunches and repetitive movements, and that balance training is very important as you age (I have a tendency to develop BPPV due to having the crystals in my inner ears knocked out of alignment from a fall). I won't be getting this device and will try to watch what I do with any steps or unstable surfaces.
Old 04-05-21, 11:29 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

That's awful. I seem to remember there was a congressman or some politician who also broke a limb from a balance board or Bosu.

The last DCAC fitness show I went to at least a decade ago, there were tons of unstable devices. They were hyping Bosus, Kangoo boots, roller boards, all sorts of contraptions on springs and wheels and sponges. I think most of them are overrated tbh.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 11:44 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Yikes! What a horrible thing to happen! Especially when you are trying to be fit.

I'm wondering if Brooke has bone loss issues to have such a severe break? Or, is on bisphosphonates which can weaken the femur?

I do balance work regularly. I use a balance disc, balance pad, Wii Fit Balance Board/Games, balance DVDs and just regular standing on one foot.

I have some bone loss and there's no way I would use that gadget!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 03:10 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

If you go to You tube she goes into detail about what happened. She was in the presence of a trainer, but it was a freakazoid accident because she flew up into the air. She had to have metal rods and pins inserted into her leg, but I think the thing that really got her was the staph infection that started at the site on her arm where the IV was inserted. Poor infection control protocols at that hospital. She has a long road to recovery, but I think she will be okay in the end. Best wishes to her.

I also have some bone loss and balance issues, but I would never even try such a contraption. I work on balance, but my workouts are much more modest. I'm not auditioning for the cirque.
Old 04-05-21, 05:13 PM  
Sollamyn

Wow, I can certainly empathize after my ankle break last summer. She has a long road ahead of her. As for that balance board--NO! I bought some balance cushions (foam pads) that were recommended (and used) by my physical therapists and they work just fine for my goals of strengthening my ankles and helping me with regaining balance. I'm tempted to get a bosu in the near future, but I don't want to fork out the $$ for one right now. I may just make due with my pads for a while.

Donna

Tags
balance board, indo board, injuries