Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-14-21, 10:17 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

In a couple of weeks I'll be firmly planted in my mid-fifties. I've never felt part of any decade, physically, emotionally, spiritually, professionally. Sometimes I connect with older people and sometimes younger.

I'm hardly paying attention to the age category of the workout, but rather the type. Sometimes I want to work harder and sometimes I want a gentler release workout.

I do think, though, that despite how we feel, there are certain exercises that could be better (or harmful) at certain ages as our bodies change, healing can be slower, balance is compromised, arthritis sets in.
Old 01-14-21, 12:12 PM  
SuzieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I agree....I don't think people want to be put in an age specific box. They want to feel good and move with ease at every age.
I agree, to a point. Some people have the luck at older ages to be doing the same workouts they were doing in their 20s. (I am, unfortunately, not one of those people ) But I think I understand what they were trying to achieve with these.

I know that what I wanted in a workout at 20 is not the same as what I need now, in my late 40s. And for those just starting out with Essentrics and maybe even with exercise, these categories are probably a smart place to start.

That being said, the 40s rotation is kicking my butt. I've done previous Essentrics Health challenges, but I typically do not do Essentrics every day. I usually do Essentrics 2-3 times a week, more when I'm going through a Classical Stretch Season.
Last night, I was so sore, I took an Epson salt bath. Today, I knew that if I did Sasha's workout, I'd regret it, so I am switching day 4 and day 6. I'm shocked that I'm sore and so tired. Anyone else feel the same? Maybe something else is going on with me...

Edited to add:

I think perhaps they could have removed the ages and just kept the focus title for each rotation. Then, as further guidance for those who do no know what their focus should be, provide the age categories as what is typically the focus for that age group.

- Toning and Tension
- Strength and Flexibility
- Toning and Cellular Vitality
- Boost your Energy and Mobility
- Improve Alignment and Relieve Pain
- Increase and Maintain your Range of Motion
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-21, 12:14 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn jane View Post
I think it is really strange that they created workouts assuming that everyone is the same just because they are in the same decade of life. Reading the comments here it is clear that is not the case - people who are all different ages are doing segments from other decades than their own (e.g. someone in their 50s may be doing the 20s segment). It seems to me that it sends the wrong message to assume that people's fitness is connected to their decade of life.
Yes, I felt this was a bit of ageism TBH. I’m in my 60s and I teach & do Essentrics toning based workouts regularly. I think it would be more appropriate to group the workouts to account for fitness level, goal, and maybe injury recovery. I did Maude’s 20s live yesterday. It was lovely but certainly not overly challenging.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-21, 12:25 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I find it funny that Sahra and Sasha's workout were in the 40's category...those are more challenging workouts IMHO. Very upper body intensive and Sahra's calf sequence was a killer, for sure.

Then Maude's workout for 20's was a pretty light, less challenging workout, for 20's.

I certainly don't do the same workouts I did in my 20's and 30's....and I am 53 now. I still don't like to be put in a box according to my age. I like to pick and choose what is appropriate for my body depending on the day, etc.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-21, 01:44 PM  
Izzy

I agree that there are many workouts in did in my 20's that I cannot do now. I mostly ran in my 20's and well, with knee replacement, that's totally not happening. But on the same token, there are some I could do. I do what I like to do and what I think feels good for me no matter the hype, theories, recommendations, or professional opinions (which are all over the place). I do what gets me up and moving every day and that I enjoy. I think the suggestion of the design by focus would have been a good way to avoid the ageism of the levels.

But this is why I am doing my own hybrid method. I follow the schedules but pick the workout of that day between all the options that I think I would enjoy and works for me.
Old 01-14-21, 05:14 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post

I certainly don't do the same workouts I did in my 20's and 30's....and I am 53 now. I still don't like to be put in a box according to my age. I like to pick and choose what is appropriate for my body depending on the day, etc.
Ditto, I don’t want to be put in a box either.

Essentrics workouts, even the toning based ones, are not what I would call intense. I think that’s one of the main points of Essentrics philosophy....you don’t need crazy intense workouts to be fit & healthy.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-21, 05:16 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieC View Post
That being said, the 40s rotation is kicking my butt.
Same! Too many longer toning ones back to back from my rickety old body. And I usually do a CS or Ess every day (but mostly just the more stretchy ones). I went rogue today and skipped ahead to Gail's Joint Release one. I did Cathe Live earlier today, so I just couldn't do any more plies!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-21, 05:09 PM  
DCW

Years ago in a Prevention magazine article Dara Torres, Olympic swimmer at 41, spoke about her training regime. She qualified for the team but her recovery routine from intense workouts were different from the much younger swimmers. I took her words to heart. I can workout and keep up but my recovery takes longer. I have to be careful and avoid injuries. An injury now can knock me off for days and if serious weeks.

At this stage of the game some stuff, I don't want to do anymore truthfully. I loved step aerobics but now "meh". I loved high impact but now I could hurt myself and it doesn't appeal to me anymore.

I enjoy Essentrics and see and like the results. I pick and choose what I feel I like doing. I want to maintain a strong, healthy and mobile body so daily exercise is what I do. I am grateful that I can move and do what I want physically.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 08:26 PM  
momofcha

Thanks for this thread. I couldn’t pass up a new workout with Sahra so I just resubscribed. It was delightful. Even though I’m 50, the rotation for the 40s is more my speed. I’m looking forward to trying the other new workouts.

I thought the production quality was stunning. Such a beautiful workout and Sahra was a joy as always.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-21, 10:19 AM  
SuzieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
Thanks for this thread. I couldn’t pass up a new workout with Sahra so I just resubscribed. It was delightful. Even though I’m 50, the rotation for the 40s is more my speed. I’m looking forward to trying the other new workouts.

I thought the production quality was stunning. Such a beautiful workout and Sahra was a joy as always.
I'm enjoying the new workout as well. Also enjoying having some Live workouts with Sahra.
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, essentrics, etv health challenges, health challenge