Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-03-21, 10:55 AM  
Mickey12

YouTube workouts and commercials

I very seldom do any YouTube workouts, but there seems to be so many good ones. For those of you who do them regularly, do you just suffer through the extremely annoying commercials or do you use the “pay version” of YouTube? Doesn’t that allow you the privilege of no commercials during the body of the video? What is the cost of that?
Old 01-03-21, 11:01 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Right now I am suffering through the ads when they occur.

I believe that some instructors are able to remove the mid-video ads - for example, I've never seen a mid-video ad in PahlaB's videos and I remember her saying something about her son having to go through each video and remove the ads. It's probably just a matter of time until that's not possible, ads increase and YouTube has us right where they want us.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 11:04 AM  
star117

When I watch them, I suffer through. But because of ads, I've become more of a YT workout hoarder rather than watcher!
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 11:11 AM  
cyana

AdBlock - free browser extension and there are versions compatible with all the major browsers. I would describe it as bordering on life-changing. OK, perhaps a bit dramatic, but as someone who uses a lot of YT work-outs, this program (for now at least) makes a huge difference between enjoying the work-outs and wanting to hurl a DB at the TV!

Here's a quick YT video that shows a guy adding AdBlock to Chrome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSd2pAXd6O8

P.S. If you decide you want to try AdBlock, make sure you're downloading it from a reputable source and that they aren't trying to get you to pay for it.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 11:13 AM  
sherry7899

Cyana, thank you. I was ready to throw something at the tv when there was an ad in the middle of an Eoin Finn meditation a few weeks ago.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 11:13 AM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyana View Post
AdBlock - free browser extension and there are versions compatible with all the major browsers. I would describe it as bordering on life-changing. OK, perhaps a bit dramatic, but as someone who uses a lot of YT work-outs, this program (for now at least) makes a huge difference between enjoying the work-outs and wanting to hurl a DB at the TV!

Here's a quick YT video that shows a guy adding AdBlock to Chrome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSd2pAXd6O8

P.S. If you decide you want to try AdBlock, make sure you're downloading it from a reputable source and that they aren't trying to get you to pay for it.
Thanks so much for sharing this! My one step instructor that I love has more and more ads popping up. She said it’s because the number of views of her videos. I go crazy when I’m in the middle of the routine and ads keep popping up every 10 or 15 minutes.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 01:47 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

A little hack that seems to work: after the video starts, scroll all the way to the end. Then hit the replay button. The video should then play ad free!
Old 01-03-21, 03:14 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Inquiring minds want to know... doesn't the instructor get paid if you watch the ads? I would like to give credit to the instructor for giving me free workouts...

Somebody mentioned that Caroline Girvan had her videos set up so that the ads does not pop up during her workout.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 04:08 PM  
fanofladyvols

Awesome, Stephanie..I'm trying that next time esp. if I can't figure out the adblocker thing.

My use of YT was for pilates or yoga and it totally messed with the workout.

So nothing to hurl... but I sure shook my poor yoga mat as I flounced off in disgust

Kim, great thread..I refuse to pay for YT.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 06:44 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
Inquiring minds want to know... doesn't the instructor get paid if you watch the ads? I would like to give credit to the instructor for giving me free workouts...

Somebody mentioned that Caroline Girvan had her videos set up so that the ads does not pop up during her workout.
I also heard that the instructor got paid if you watched the ad so I always watched the ones in the beginning. It wasn’t really an issue for me. But the ones mid workout are pretty frustrating.

Stephanie thanks for the hack. And Cyana for the adblocker.

Tags
youtube, youtube help