Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-20, 10:27 AM  
gigi

The Work Prep

I just previewed The Work Prep on BBOD and I think I'm going to do this starting today. I was consistent when I did MBF and MBFA. I went back to Cathe workouts, which I enjoy, but I find that lately, I do better with a program where I do not have to decide on a rotation or what workout I'm going to do that day. When on my own, I find myself wasting time talking myself into working out or changing my mind and watching clips deciding what to do.

Upon preview, I thought the Prep looked very thorough and balanced and quite tough.

Has anyone done The Work Prep?
Old 11-15-20, 06:46 PM  
gigi

I did the first workout tonight. Push Strength training. 4 rounds of the same exercises with decreases in time per exercise each round: 60 seconds, 50 seconds, 40 seconds, and 30 seconds. These are labeled as intermediate and I'd agree but they are not easy. I used to be advanced but I've put on weight and may be going through menopause.

Exercise 1: Push up to downward dog
Exercise 2: Half kneeling alternating shoulder press
Exercise 3: T-Plank step up
Exercise 4: Standing jammer
Exercise 5: Burpees
Exercise 6: Low plank on forearms/elbows

45 second rest after each round and a short rest between each exercise that decreases each round. I did take extra rest time here and there. If I had not discovered this, I may have given up my BOD membership. I really like MBF and MBFA but did not want to do another round.

I found the trainer motivating without being obnoxious. I didn't mind not working out to music. I think I will be able to stick with this.
Old 11-15-20, 07:00 PM  
fanofladyvols

Hey Angela,

What's a standing jammer? Also ..who is the trainer? I have never heard of this. Are they bodyweight only exercises?

Does the rest between exercise stay the same?

It does look from your description like quite a workout.

I have to have music and would opt to play music in the background if it didn't have any.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-20, 08:48 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Hey Angela,

What's a standing jammer? Also ..who is the trainer? I have never heard of this. Are they bodyweight only exercises?

Does the rest between exercise stay the same?

It does look from your description like quite a workout.

I have to have music and would opt to play music in the background if it didn't have any.
The standing jack hammer is you hold two DB's and press them together and push them out holding them around chest level.

The trainer is Amoila Cesar. He is the trainer for 4 weeks of The Work Prep and a 6 week program called The Work.

The program uses bodyweight, DB's, sliding discs, a mat, a pull up bar, (which I don't have but they give modifications), and fitness loops.

The rests between the exercises were not timed and shortened with each round. But between each full round there was a 45 second rest.

This workout focused on chest and shoulders. Tomorrow is Legs. I will try and report back after each workout. I find that I do not care for most BB programs and only joined for early access to MBF and MBFA.

Regarding music, he does provide a Spotify play list clean and explicit that you can play. I usually enjoy working out to music but for some reason no music didn't bother me in this workout.

Here is a sample workout which seems to include a sampling of the various types of exercises included in each workout so this is not what a typical workout looks like exactly as they all have a different focus: https://www.beachbodyondemand.com/pr...rep/start-here
Old 11-16-20, 10:01 AM  
fanofladyvols

Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

That's nice he offered two versions of a playlist, too!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-20, 12:28 PM  
Malinda

Angela, I did The Prep several months ago. I followed the order of the workout calendar, but I threw in a few lower-intensity workouts in between the Prep workouts, so it took me about 6 weeks to complete the rotation.

I liked it, and plan to start The Work, possibly in December. I actually tried a few of the workouts from The Work and liked them as well. I especially liked the army crawls in The Crucible -- my core was sore for days after I would do that workout.

I'm glad they included a "clean" version -- the language usually doesn't bother me, but every once in awhile I am just not in the mood for it, so I would choose "clean". The trainer is encouraging and fun, and a couple of the female background exercisers in The Work are super-tough and inspirational!
Old 11-17-20, 06:51 PM  
mimikz

Ooo this looks good. Thanks for posting the sample link.

Mimi K
mimikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-20, 06:00 PM  
gigi

I find these workouts sneak up on me. My glues and outer glutes are letting me know they've been worked. I did Legs on Monday, took the planned rest yesterday and tonight I did Endurance and Agility. I like that he uses quite a bit of lateral movements. I also find the trainer and his crew entertaining without getting on my nerves.

I too like the choice between clean or explicit. I kind of giggle when it's bleeped out in the clean version.

Malinda I may start The Work when finished with Prep. I haven't decided yet.

You're welcome Mimi K. Beachbody has been making sample workouts available which pushed me over the edge to get a membership so I could have access to MBF and MBFA which I'm sure at some point I will do again.
Old 11-18-20, 08:38 PM  
mimikz

I did the sample workout today and enjoyed it. I’m making myself sleep on it but I’m in for this. Seems like fun! I didn’t use the playlist, but I’ll get to it. I agree with all your points about the cast of exercisers too.

Eventually I also want to check out the 5k training program and Autumn’s upcoming new one. Winter entertainment to go along with the sweater I’m knitting thanks to another thread here...

Mimi K
mimikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-20, 08:54 AM  
gigi

Endurance & Agility focus on balance, core stabilization, strength, and cardio. I really like how the trainer incorporates lateral movement especially in the agility part.

Pull was fabulous and the modifying moves (using a heavier weight) were great if you do not have a pull up bar (which I do not). The reps are just enough and he even sneaks mobility into the workout. Again, on some of the exercises I needed much heavier weight like the one arm DB swings (like a KB swing). But it's always been challenging for me to do one arm rows from the plank position but I can hang for 10 reps and was able to increase my DB weight for last two sets.

Range & Repair is the golden workout in my opinion. He does not use static stretches and you are constantly moving. Love this one. Today I will do Full Body Tempo.

My favorite cast members are Ruckus and Gage! The cast and Amoila have great chemistry.

Tags
bbod, beachbody, beachbody on demand, the prep, the work