Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-30-20, 04:31 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I haven't read all the previous replies, but exercise did wonders to raise my HDL. It did not lower my LDL, but the increased HDL made my ratio much better and my doc was satisfied. There is also a drug called Cholestyramine (may not have spelled it right) that lowers cholesterol, but is not a statin. It is a powder that you mix with water. Members of my family have had success with it.

At any rate exercise does help overall.
Old 10-30-20, 04:48 PM  
pharma_gal

Thank you for the replies. Some good points to work at.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-20, 11:32 AM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

Diana -

Thanks so much for this information! Also, the other poster who mentioned chia seeds.

Lori
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-21, 04:02 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

OLD THREAD ALERT!!!

I mentioned a few months ago that I've had high LDL in the past. I finally had had my cholesterol rechecked last week after a little over year. I've been taking "Cholest-Off" supplement that is made up of plant sterols and stanols, and a psyllium fiber supplement for about the past 4 months leading up to the test. I've been taking 3 pills a day of each (the directions say to go up to 6 pills a day) and I haven't made any real changes to my diet. If anything, my diet has worsened with the pandemic. And my LDL dropped 80 points! My HDL only dropped 4 points, and I attribute that to upping my exercise since I have more time over the pandemic. It's hard to maintain your HDL levels when your LDL drops significantly. Even my triglycerides dropped by 27 points. My LDL and overall cholesterol are at their lowest ever by about 20 points since 2015 which is the first data set I have to compare to.

I'm still slightly over optimal levels of LDL but I hope with a continued regimen of the Cholest-Off and phsyllium supplement, that my levels may even continue to improve. I don't know which one of the supplements is the most effective, or the combo is what works, but the results are so good I plan to continue with both. I wanted to share my success story

HDL from 60 to 56
LDL from 183 to 103
Triglycerides from 84 to 57
Old 02-18-21, 11:26 AM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebianco View Post
OLD THREAD ALERT!!!

I mentioned a few months ago that I've had high LDL in the past. I finally had had my cholesterol rechecked last week after a little over year. I've been taking "Cholest-Off" supplement that is made up of plant sterols and stanols, and a psyllium fiber supplement for about the past 4 months leading up to the test. I've been taking 3 pills a day of each (the directions say to go up to 6 pills a day) and I haven't made any real changes to my diet. If anything, my diet has worsened with the pandemic. And my LDL dropped 80 points! My HDL only dropped 4 points, and I attribute that to upping my exercise since I have more time over the pandemic. It's hard to maintain your HDL levels when your LDL drops significantly. Even my triglycerides dropped by 27 points. My LDL and overall cholesterol are at their lowest ever by about 20 points since 2015 which is the first data set I have to compare to.

I'm still slightly over optimal levels of LDL but I hope with a continued regimen of the Cholest-Off and phsyllium supplement, that my levels may even continue to improve. I don't know which one of the supplements is the most effective, or the combo is what works, but the results are so good I plan to continue with both. I wanted to share my success story

HDL from 60 to 56
LDL from 183 to 103
Triglycerides from 84 to 57
Woo hoo! That is fantastic!
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-21, 03:07 PM  
Ann1964

Diana could you Pm me too?
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-21, 09:47 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1964 View Post
Diana could you Pm me too?

I am quoting myself since I said it upthread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
Since this has already been said I will comment publicly.

This is what I have said to everyone:

I have always had elevated bad/total cholesterol. The Dr was never too concerned because my good cholesterol has always been very high. But in the last couple of years they would bring up the concern with the bad/total, I guess because I am getting older. I have always refused the cholesterol meds. Anyways, due to another issue I started using a fiber supplement. The next lab results showed total cholesterol in a normal range. I have never had that. It has always been elevated. I asked the Dr. about the fiber supplement and she confirmed that the fiber is probably what brought it down.

I use Citrucel fiber supplement because it does not ferment and cause gas. There are other types of fiber available.

No other changes, total cholesterol dropped approx 60 pts, I don't recall total cholesterol ever being in a normal range.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-22, 01:28 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Old threat alert:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
My recent blood test shows elevated LDL and total cholesterol. The doctor knows I workout and eat right so she wants to start me on medicine right away. I really don’t want to get started on a statin. I’m wondering what else I could do in order to get the numbers down. Does cardio work better than weight training? Anyone have any advice? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
Not with exercise, but I was able to get it down to a normal range without medication. I can share in a PM.
Exercise helps in my case to keep it low.

i go to my PCP every 6 months to check my cholesterol. it runs in my family. i am taking the lowest statin and i don't want to increase the dosage, so i do all that i can to keep it that way.

my results since the last time:
total: was 211, now 180

biggest decrease was LDL. i'll update the breakdown after he sends me the written labs because the info he gave me during our virtual meeting doesn't add up.

about me: i walk 10,000 steps a day and it helps keep the cholesterol down.

takeaway: LDL decreased due to increasing fiber intake and decreasing sugary foods. PM me if you have any questions.

so in answer to Pharma, the OP, in my case meds are needed due to heredity, yet i strive to keep it under 200. if i didn't take the statin, it would be a minimum of 250 and up.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-22, 01:47 PM  
bubbles76

I will take bloodwork this weekend. I'm hopeful. I take fiber supplement, fish oil, and work out. We'll see.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-22, 02:39 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

good luck Bubbles - crossing my fingers for you and will walk an extra lap for good measure.

another thing i did: i was due for a blood donation, so i timed it to be 2 days before my cholesterol test. but i promise, i was amping up the fiber and continue to do so! i'm hoping to drop some pounds, so the fiber will help. PM me for details.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cholesterol, eating, exercise to heal, fiber, health, medical tests, nutrition, results