Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-20, 11:56 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
Great advice so far. I would add strength training. Remember the ancient Firm VHS intro with a cross section of a leg IIRC showing fat and muscle. Unused muscle will atrophy. I went to knee-hab PT after a torn meniscus. I saw lots of older women whose thighs were like sticks, trying to learn how to get up off a chair, never mind the floor.
Great point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherDeb View Post
Excellent thread! And much excellent advice.
I would add don’t overthink it. Do something, anything, most days. Develop the movement habit and keep at it. If it means less strenuous workouts at times, so be it. Just do something and keep that habit going.
Don’t neglect your mental health. There are workout activities that help with mental and physical health. Don't neglect those.
ETA: Oops, i just realized I restated what Izzy and Yogapam wrote, but they said it better. ___
YADeb
Some days I don't feel like doing anything. Then, I do a stretch video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherDeb View Post
On a light-hearted note, DO NOT let your your cats think that your getting in the floor is to give them attention. Your exercise attempts will be thwarted every time unless you want to make a “lifting cats” workout.
Floor work with my cats is like a bizarre game of Twister.
_____
YADeb
Speaking of cats, think about how often they stretch during the day. After each and every of the (dozens of) naps they take.

Getting older, it isn't just about getting your daily workout in anymore. It's about doing little balance, posture and stretch moves through the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
I've got three more weeks of being 66. Definitely the getting up and down off the floor thing, absolutely necessary. Balance, being able to walk on uneven surfaces and catch yourself if you lose your balance is essential.
Keep up your strength training and core strength, it doesn't have to be heavy to be effective.
Do something every day. It doesn't have to be full out, but make time to move and move things. Gardening is wonderful.
I worked out at home for 25 years before leaving Hawaii and returning to CA. Since then I was using a community gym for strength but I'm going to have to cough up the dough for now very expensive weights because I'm not going near a gym for the foreseeable future.

Final word of advice: don't get clumsy in the garden and trip over your trellis on the ground like I did. Two months after falling like a sack of potatoes on my left shoulder I'm still working with the injury. Not fun.
Sorry you are injured, Jen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
It's okay to take naps and rest more. I always feel guilty if I'm too tired to get a decent workout or I need a Sunday morning to just sleep in. But I end up having more energy for it, and end up getting in a stronger workout.
I'm probably not the only one who needs a little more downtime at this age. Just make it part of your fitness routine and then get up and enjoy the benefits!
I still do heavy weight workouts, but I definitely need TWO days in between. Sometimes more if I overdid it.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-20, 12:18 PM  
alisoncooks

Golly, I'm totally listening! My late-30s were rough, with a knee injury/surgery and huge weigh gain. I really had my eyes opened to what I want my future to look like, physically. Now in my 40s, I'm hitting all the points mentioned above. A long time cardio avoider, I've been convicted to add walking to my week. I see women, much older than myself, outwalking me at the trail, lol. Life goals!!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-20, 01:11 PM  
Izzy

I agree with the stretching. I confess, I never stretched in my youth. Now I realize what a mistake it was and I stretch daily.

My mantra is to fight aging any and every way I can. I will win this battle.
Old 07-29-20, 04:21 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I'll add: Be careful not to overdo it. Think twice about extreme sports. Just because you "can" do something (like run a marathon; beat CrossFit records, etc.) does not mean you "should" do those types of things. Beating up your body and incurring injuries comes back to haunt you in your later years. You may have "healed" from overuse and other injuries in your younger days, but they can prevent you from fully enjoying movement in your later years.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-20, 07:10 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Thanks for the good wishes, Alta. I know you've worked through your share of pain and injuries!

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-20, 11:42 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

A funny comment -- I was reading this thread and just told my 54-year-old husband (yesterday was his birthday!) to start squatting on the toilet (bowl) again. He was doing it at the office until he was kicked out of the office in mid-March (yes, it was a shock to his colleagues who tried to jigger the restroom stall's door open... "no feet = no one's in there = why is it locked?!") Ideally, he won't cause the toilet bowls at home to collapse but it's important he keeps his joints limber
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-20, 07:26 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I'll add: Be careful not to overdo it. Think twice about extreme sports. Just because you "can" do something (like run a marathon; beat CrossFit records, etc.) does not mean you "should" do those types of things. Beating up your body and incurring injuries comes back to haunt you in your later years. You may have "healed" from overuse and other injuries in your younger days, but they can prevent you from fully enjoying movement in your later years.
I totally agree with this!!

I am late to this thread, and haven't read it all, but from what I have skimmed great advice. Particularly about being able to get up - either off the floor or out of a chair.

Which brings me to a workout link - I did the longer version of this workout on Jessica Valent's Unlimited membership site and wow, I have DOMS in my hamstrings and glutes.

Here's a short version - it starts with squats using a chair, a very functional move as so many elderly people can't get out of chairs without help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeEUSW0tXks&t=17s

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-20, 12:27 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Which brings me to a workout link - I did the longer version of this workout on Jessica Valent's Unlimited membership site and wow, I have DOMS in my hamstrings and glutes.

Here's a short version - it starts with squats using a chair, a very functional move as so many elderly people can't get out of chairs without help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeEUSW0tXks&t=17s

Donna
You had me until I saw the word "Pilates."

Pilates is a fantastic system. Yet, I consider it the exercise equivalent to watching paint dry.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-20, 12:31 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
You had me until I saw the word "Pilates."

Pilates is a fantastic system. Yet, I consider it the exercise equivalent to watching paint dry.
ITA. To each his/her own but I've never been able to get into it.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-20, 12:31 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanywu View Post
A funny comment -- I was reading this thread and just told my 54-year-old husband (yesterday was his birthday!) to start squatting on the toilet (bowl) again. He was doing it at the office until he was kicked out of the office in mid-March (yes, it was a shock to his colleagues who tried to jigger the restroom stall's door open... "no feet = no one's in there = why is it locked?!") Ideally, he won't cause the toilet bowls at home to collapse but it's important he keeps his joints limber
LOL thanks for sharing this! Funny!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, balance, get up off floor, over 50, posture, sit stand test, vintage vfers