Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-19, 11:45 AM  
Verine
VF Supporter

Barlates Triple Burn series

Has anyone done any of the workouts in the Barlates Triple Burn series? I did the Functional one the other day and didn't care for it. Linda's total body workouts have been a real hit or miss for me, which makes me wonder why I keep purchasing so many of them! I have found that her shorter, targeted series (working one specific body part) are really good, but a lot of her total body workouts have left me feeling like I didn't get a good workout. Any comments about this series?

Christina
Verine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 05:25 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi Christina!

I received the set from Mary’s right before I went on a work trip so I haven’t been able to try them yet. Do you have/like her Precision and Overload training? I like but don’t love Precision but have gotten more use out of Overload. I’m hoping these will be like Overload I’m terms of intensity (or harder). I agree with you though in the sets I mentioned the reps aren’t there like they are on targeted series, but I do really like the total body aspect.

When I start in on the Triple Burn set next week, I’ll share my thoughts with you. She’s working on a Double Burn too but the clips just seem less intense to me.
Old 09-10-19, 06:16 PM  
Dontmindthemess

I impulsively bought these workouts from Mary’s sale but haven’t received them yet. I usually like Linda’s total body workouts but I didn’t even preview these. I do find her body part workouts comprehensive but I usually don’t want to spend 20 minutes or more on one body part. Right now I’m doing a kettlebell Kickboxing rotation but I’ll try one of these on an active rest day.

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 11:46 AM  
Verine
VF Supporter

Thank you for the replies, ebianco and Jane.

I have the Precision series, but have yet to try them. I was waiting to get the Overload and Functional Training series the next time they are on sale, but now I'm not so sure I need them. I agree that some of the targeted series are overkill, esp ones that are longer than 20 minutes and only focus on inner thighs, for example.

I could be completely wrong about this, but I wonder if her workouts are hit or miss due to the fact that she doesn't appear to do her own workouts (does that make sense?). I follow her posts about her daily workouts and she is always doing someone else's workout. As far as I can tell, she doesn't teach group classes or anything, nor has she really developed her own method. Just a thought that maybe her workouts could be better if she actually had a test audience before filming.

Christina
Verine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 12:01 PM  
Donatella
VF Supporter

I think you have a really good point there . . . a test audience would help. I have her Endurance, Energy Flow and Mix and Match DVDs and they are great, plus I like her as an instructor. I watched the You Tube clips for the Double Burn and Triple Burn and didn't think I'd enjoy those. It is sort of hit and miss for me also; the ones I like get tons of use, but I have a few that I never use.
Donatella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-19, 08:48 PM  
Dontmindthemess

I did Triple Burn Sculpt a couple of days ago. It’s not the typical type of Barlates that I usually do but I wanted to try it and it was a good length to do before my yoga class. I kind of felt neutral about it, I’m not crazy over the band work. It moved along pretty quickly for me and I wasn’t watching the clock which was a plus. I found the core work challenging in a good way. The crazy thing is my quads have been really sore for the last two days. I haven’t had DOMs like this for a long time! I’ve been doing a lot of body weight work but I did do a week of kettlebells last week. I guess it was the uneven squats but I was really surprised because they didn’t seem like a big deal while I was doing them. This actually has me more interested in trying more from this series.

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-19, 10:20 PM  
Fitstick

I like Linda’s total body workouts better than her others, probably because they Are not as difficult to get through. I’ve tried a couple from triple burn and liked them, I haven’t tried the functional workout yet. I noticed she has a double burn dvd coming soon and am looking forward to ordering that one as well. If you think about the content and the multiple workouts you can get on one set for $20, it’s a steal.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-19, 05:58 AM  
Sweetsal

Verine makes an excellent point. I feel like Linda just churns out workouts like widgets in a factory without much thought about who will use them and how. I love a lot of her Tonique-style workouts but some I don’t. Often she tries to have themes or gimmicks like “Add It On” and “Break It Down” that interfere with the flow of the workout.
Sweetsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-19, 06:25 AM  
Lannette

Thanks for this thread. Linda is a new instructor to me and so far I’ve only purchased shorter, mostly UB WOs for specific use as add ons. For that they work quite well.

I would never imagined that her total body WOs tend to be easier, but reading your comments it makes sense. Similarly to the way Leah Sarago’s three single area emphasis DVDs are tougher than her Total Body dvd.

Although I believe that Leah Sarago does do her own method as her own WO, I always suspected that her Periodization rotations were simply put together without ever having been done.

Leah’s downloads were and Linda’s downloads are very inexpensive. Not doing any testing or even a ton of rehearsals helps keep them that way.

Do any of you do nothing in addition to Linda’s WOs? I, personally can’t imagine myself using them that way but as I said, I’m totally new to her “method.”

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-19, 03:11 PM  
Shortstuff
VF Supporter

I love Linda's workouts!

I'm actually someone who loves all of Linda's workouts! She's very unique which is perfect for me because I tend to get bored easily. And I disagree, I think Linda really puts a lot of thought into her workouts. Considering I've been exercising for well over 45 years and I think I've tried everything that's come down the pike , she still gives me DOMS and results. Just my opinion! On the other hand, I don't do her exclusively -- probably 3x a week.
Shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barlates, linda wooldridge