Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-19, 02:06 PM  
slockhart

Hardest/best Callanetics

I was just noting on another thread that a few people had said Callanetics helped their legs/butt more than anything, so I'm just curious if I were to buy one, which one should I get. I'm very familiar with Pure Barre, Physique 57, Squeeze, etc.
thanks
Stacey
slockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-19, 02:38 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Well, I've heard the toughest Callanetics is Super Callanetics. But normally it was recommended to have mastered Callanetics 10/10 before moving on to Super Callanetics. I think those original Callanetics is slightly dfferent than other barre (even P57) in that they do more reps of less exercises. But I'm not sure I can recommend those 80's Callanetics workouts because they are a little tweaky. Callanetics Evolution corrects that problem, but it does more exercises less reps. But then it also has standing pretzel which really gets the legs as well as outer thigh. The real issue though is Callanetics Evolution is OOP.

If you really want to target the lower body, consider T-tapp.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-19, 02:58 PM  
alisoncooks

I say, if you can, try them all out on the streaming. I like the newer stuff over the original stuff.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-19, 03:04 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
The real issue though is Callanetics Evolution is OOP.
I don't know if this is the Callanetics Evolution you mean but Mary has 581 copies in stock. https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Cal...ogra-p/693.htm
Old 04-08-19, 05:32 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
I don't know if this is the Callanetics Evolution you mean but Mary has 581 copies in stock. https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Cal...ogra-p/693.htm
That's it.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-19, 05:48 PM  
Lannette

Just popping in to mention that Sandra told me that she no longer recommends the techniques used in Callanetics Evolution. This was quite a while ago. I had done it and mentioned I had trouble switching to the way they were doing things in Evolution, especially the pelvic floor contractions. She was explicit that they were no longer using that form and I assume that’s why this wo was never on the streaming site.

I do recommend the original 10 in 10 as long as you have no major back or joint issues. It gave me great results which seem to persist even when I stop using it.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-19, 05:55 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

That's interesting about the pelvic floor contraction. So are they back to the pelvic curl hanging off the barre for example with pretzel? I think that was one rhing causing neck tension. The leg stretches definitely tweaked my back, but Judy taught the usual lower body stretches you see in other workouts instead. There were a couple other problematic things I don't remember. But yeah I can't deny that I still got great results quickly.

I think Callanetics Evolution is OOP and not streaming because it was developed during a time that the family cannot claim the copyright.
Old 04-08-19, 05:56 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
oh awesome!
Old 04-08-19, 06:16 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
That's interesting about the pelvic floor contraction. So are they back to the pelvic curl hanging off the barre for example with pretzel? I think that was one rhing causing neck tension. The leg stretches definitely tweaked my back, but Judy taught the usual lower body stretches you see in other workouts instead. There were a couple other problematic things I don't remember. But yeah I can't deny that I still got great results quickly.

I think Callanetics Evolution is OOP and not streaming because it was developed during a time that the family cannot claim the copyright.
I’m trying to find exactly what Sandra said but I’m wading through a lot of saved responses to do so. I did find a quote from Brenda, who is a certified Callanetics trainer from California. Have you done Sandra’s streaming wos? That is the most up to date form that I’m aware of. (I was lucky to get downloads while they were available.) I do like the seated pretzel but the barre pretzel work pulls me in faster. It just does and lucky for me it doesn’t bother me.

“Oh…and we don’t teach that pelvic floor contraction anymore, so no worries about it when you do the Evo dvd. It’s more effective what we do now—use the block to engage inner thighs ( and thereby the pelvic floor), and the pelvic floor kneeling stretch we do in many of the sessions.”

I’ll try to find more on this.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 04-08-19, 06:40 PM  
Lannette

Quote from Sandra: The issue regarding engaging the pelvic floor is going to come up more and more. Especially, if you’ve been a Callanetics fan for a few years and familiar with CallaneticsEvolution in which activating pelvic floor was a pretty big focus (if only I could re-edit and add some bleeps . As you know engaging the PF is not something you will hear much of in our videos.

This doesn’t mean to say that we’re not dealing with pelvic floor disorder or against toning the pelvic floor muscles. Our approach is just from another angle. We’ve come to understand that persistent tightening and contracting can do more harm than good, in particular pulling the tailbone closer to pubic bone making it shorter and tighter. As we know, short tight muscles are weak muscles as much as overly lengthened muscles. They become weaker as the amount of blood flow is reduced.

Tags
callanetics, pretzel