Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-19, 08:33 PM  
bubbles76

Normally I don't like this kind of training. I would rather do 3 sets of 1 exercise and then move on to the next thing rather than do 1 set of 7 exercises and repeat that 3 times. For some reason it didn't bother me here.

But since someone mentioned the Pyramids, what I did NOT like was how it seemed we worked the front of the legs to death before finally moving to the back. Those deadlifts actually felt sooooo good after so many lunges and squats.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 07:55 AM  
Cher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
I've been using the LITE workout 'Strong Body Stacked Sets - Upper'. She does, for example, 7 different exercises for back and biceps, then repeats the whole sequence. It's like the 'Take it from the Top' used in so many cardio workouts, which I've always hated. When I get to the end of a sequence I just don't feel like starting it over.

Today I just repeated each exercise by skipping back before going on to the next exercise. That way I did each set twice and was done. I liked this much better. I usually have to pause after a set anyway to change weights etc.

I do like the way this workout easily divides into splits - there are premixes for that.

I suppose I am messing up whatever advantage the 'stacked' approach is supposed to have, but I feel I'm getting a good workout. You can do the split premixes in about 20 minutes each, including warm up and stretch.

Yes! This is me too! I did do Stacked Upper as is but totally dreaded all the second sets. When I did Stacked Lower, I stopped after the first set of second exercises. (So did 3 rounds total). Just could not face a second set of that 2nd round. Yesterday I did Pyramid Lower Body (Up Premix) and did not mind repeating each exercise three times. I don't know why one exercise at a time doesn't bother me but a whole set repeated does.

I'm glad you mentioned about repeating each exercise right after finishing the one before moving onto the next exercise. I had been thinking of trying that next time despite it defeating the purpose of the workout. I figure better doing it that way than only doing each exercise only once which is what will happen next time because I just dread the big repeat. I wish she had a premix for this way.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 07:56 AM  
Demeris

Sara1000 raised a question, sort of, to which I'd love an answer.

What is the benefit of 'stacked' workouts?
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 08:15 AM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Sara1000 raised a question, sort of, to which I'd love an answer.

What is the benefit of 'stacked' workouts?
From Cathe's description: "This all upper body weight routine will utilize giant sets to incorporate a whole lot of work into a short amount of time! Layer on exercises, reps, and sets to elevate your metabolic rate and totally fatigue your muscle!"

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 08:44 AM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
From Cathe's description: "This all upper body weight routine will utilize giant sets to incorporate a whole lot of work into a short amount of time! Layer on exercises, reps, and sets to elevate your metabolic rate and totally fatigue your muscle!"
What does that even mean? Can't you do the same thing by doing two sets of each exercise in succession?
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 10:03 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
What does that even mean? Can't you do the same thing by doing two sets of each exercise in succession?
Yes, this is my question, too.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 11:03 AM  
Tugger31

I just did Stacked Upper Body and loved it!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 11:51 AM  
Messe

Quote:
I'm not crazy about doing straight sets, so a few things make stacking or cycling through a series of exercises work better for me. I find that can ultimately lift heavier when I don't do straight sets. Moving from exercise to exercise in an upper-body workout also has more of a metabolic effect. And the most important thing for me is that it's not boring, so I know I'll use the two stacking workouts over and over. But we're all different, so if you don't like the DVD as is, find a way to make it work for you.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 12:06 PM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
I'm not crazy about doing straight sets, so a few things make stacking or cycling through a series of exercises work better for me. I find that can ultimately lift heavier when I don't do straight sets. Moving from exercise to exercise in an upper-body workout also has more of a metabolic effect. And the most important thing for me is that it's not boring, so I know I'll use the two stacking workouts over and over. But we're all different, so if you don't like the DVD as is, find a way to make it work for you.
Sounds like we are the opposite
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 01:48 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

It depends where I am. At the gym, stacking or supersets are inconvenient if I have to go back and forth from one spot to another. But on DVDs, I prefer stacking or rounds because I can do just one or two if short on time. I like that about Cathe's PHA, but I got rid of most of her other strength DVDs because I don't care for working one muscle to numbness before moving on.

I haven't seen any difference in "results", I think it's mainly about what's most convenient and what you prefer.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe lite, cathe lite reviews