Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-18, 10:27 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

You have BBOD so I'd strongly consider LIIFT 4 when it releases (October?). I think it's supposed to be very efficient and really geared towards strength. And only 4 workouts a week so should be easier to stick with. Good luck!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 10:36 AM  
mtngoat

I have had the greatest strength gains when I do Cathe's STS. I gain really useful functional strength.

I did not notice much change in my size up or down, but I did not change eating while doing the program. I did notice really great definition in delts, triceps, biceps and obliques (the only ab muscles I ever see, ha ha).

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 10:45 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

being able to lift a lot of weight, within logical reason, has a lot to do with technique.

i don't need to know what you were trying to lift, but case in point, in martial arts, a very small and skinny person can heft another person almost twice their size. nurses and EMTs are trained to lift and move a sick person from their bed or chair. and safe lifting is also important to incorporate.

all that said, muscle takes less room than fat, so the answer is yes, you can increase strength while decreasing size. in every case when i increased weight lifting frequency, i decreased size. many VFers here as well have increased weight lifting while decreasing size AND body weight. i cannot think of an instance where someone increased strength and got bigger - someone correct me on this if necessary. i'm sure people can find links of someone getting "bigger" from weight lifting, but the photos i've seen, people look toned and lean when they've been consistent. the pics you see of men (and some women) with huge bulging muscles are probably due to the use of anabolic steroids.

the programs/DVDs/instructors that people mentioned are all good. it's consistency that will prevail.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 11:47 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I'm going to be perhaps the lone dissenter, but for me as a naturally muscular person STS was not the answer AT ALL. It made me hungry as all get out and larger (dare I say "bulkier.")

If you really do build muscle easily (as I do), I've had more success with Cathe's RWH (I prefer the upper & lower body circuit workouts on this series) and FitSplit push/pull workouts. I also use KCM Split sessions and Muscle Up. and combine the upper and lower body muscle training workouts of Build and Burn (although that's not how she intended them to be used). The difference for me between these and STS is the hunger factor. I'll eat a snack size bag of almonds after these workouts and I'm good to go. I couldn't seem to get enough to eat after STS and gained weight that wasn't muscle. Obviously we are all different, though, so you need to see what might work for you!

I do agree that the D word is at the root of it all. I've found since I have a calmer outlook in life that my stress snacking has decreased and I can focus more on "food as fuel."

Good luck!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 12:53 PM  
Sollamyn

Could you maybe hold off on the strength work while you focus on weight loss? Is there a time element involved--like do you NEED to be really strong very soon for some reason? Or could you ease into it? I ask these questions because you are concerned that weight lifting will make you bigger. So why not focus on getting smaller first, then focus on getting stronger once you've lost some weight? I'm not suggesting giving up strength work entirely, but maybe focus on cardio/strength circuits or body weight exercises, along with cardio, while you are slimming down. These workouts would also help you to prep for the heavier weight lifting during your strength building phase.

Just a suggestion. Good luck!

Donna
Old 09-24-18, 03:28 PM  
fitjen

Thanks for the feedback and information everyone. It gave me several things to think about!
Old 09-25-18, 10:00 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I'm somewhat in the same boat as you ...
There is now some evidence that "heavy lifting", ie. sets of 3-6 reps *does* increase muscle size (hypertrophy), which many of us may consider "bulking". Google Brad Schoenfeld for his latest research. Like you, I'm overweight, so the last thing I want is more size. The same research shows longer rep ranges, even just one set, will increase strength without hypertrophy.
So I'll suggest using workouts with set ranges anywhere between 8-16 reps. Right now, I'm focusing on KCM. Usually her sets are reps of 8 or 10 or 16. She has several rotations listed on her website. I'm very happy with my results so far.
-Anita
Any specific KCM's you are using or specific rotations?
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 11:35 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Sure, it's possible as long as you don't expect amazing transformations in 2 weeks. I lost 30 pounds and several sizes over the course of Strong, the book program, which took about 8 or 9 months. I was also lifting more than I ever have. Right now I'm 20 pounds down since the beginning of the year, doing various gym programs. Of course to get stronger at home, you would need heavy weights.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 01:23 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Sure, it's possible as long as you don't expect amazing transformations in 2 weeks. I lost 30 pounds and several sizes over the course of Strong, the book program, which took about 8 or 9 months. I was also lifting more than I ever have. Right now I'm 20 pounds down since the beginning of the year, doing various gym programs. Of course to get stronger at home, you would need heavy weights.
wtg! awesome!

who was the author - Alwyn Cosgrove?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 02:10 PM  
videofit

Pull up bar is great for stretching your back and it built my upper body strength better than weights alone.

Tags
strength, strength gains, strength training, weight loss