Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-18, 05:50 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
...Which is why I have decided to listen to as many as I can.
I've discovered that I can get a lot done if I combine housework and decluttering with an audiobook. Focusing on the story enough that I can follow it distracts me from thinking of reasons to stop doing the work.
Old 01-04-18, 07:34 AM  
donnamp

Leslie - I prefer reading to audio books, but I have succumbed and will listen to books on my commute now. I enjoy it and it makes the time go faster and I don't mind being stuck in traffic as much. I do have "tiers" for books in my mind -first tier books must be read; second tier books may be listened to (second tier in my mind are more 'fluffy" books that I want to read but are not very deep in terms of language or theme - or are books that I have read already and want to read again). I listened to To Kill A Mockingbird recently b/c my DD was reading it for school. I had read it twice before. I need to pick up some more audio books or download some from Hoopla.

I have been in the mood to try something different so I picked up Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, and, so far so good.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 10:05 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Donna, interesting how you have transitioned to audio books--I have not been able to do that myself yet! I also love traditional reading, and the few times I've tried to listen to stories on audio, I've found that my mind wanders. Maybe I should give it another try since I have a 45 minute commute to work (each way).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 10:09 AM  
donnamp

Beth - I try to listen to books that are easier to follow - while still driving - so something that is akin to a LifeTime TV movie in book form or something I read before.. It does help w/ the commuting!!

I listened to Blake Crouch's Dark Matter while driving and that worked out - the language was simple enough to follow and it was entertaining.

Donna
Old 01-04-18, 11:53 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
I'm reading Killman Creek right now. It's a page turner and just what I need after reading ultra-boring documents all day.
I finished Stillhouse Lake earlier this week and read Killman Creek over one (very long) sitting yesterday. It was unputdownable!! I hope the author continues to write this style of book! It looks like she's written about 50 books mostly in other genres.

I switched gears and have started Hunger, an autobiography of Roxanne Gay. I can tell this will be a powerful book.
Old 01-04-18, 12:10 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I cannot imagine listening to books in the car. (This is an opinion about me and me only - not other people.) I tried listening in the car one time years ago. I found that I listen to books the way I read them - I picture everything about what is going on, the people, the setting, etc. I am in the book, not where I am. When I almost plowed into the back of a car in front of me, I decided that I'd better forgo listening to books in the car...

I've been reading on my Kindle recently while we have moved. Books worth noting include:

Stillhouse Lake by Rachel Caine - Usually, I don't like psychological thrillers, but I've stuck with this one. I've enjoyed it so far and I'm over halfway through it.

Love the House You Are In by Paige Rien - It's written for the house people are already in, but I'm reading it as a way of sparking ideas of what to do with the house we are in the process of moving into. It's a good book that goes through the stereotypical design descriptions and decisions prevalent these days.

No Sweat by Michelle Segar - I'm rereading this book to try to jumpstart my fitness efforts. It's more about the science of motivation than about a specific fitness routine.

Meet Me At Beachcomber Bay by Jill Mansell - I really enjoyed this newest book by this author. It wasn't anything new, but I really liked the characters and it flowed.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 01:54 PM  
JezthePuff2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I cannot imagine listening to books in the car. (This is an opinion about me and me only - not other people.) I tried listening in the car one time years ago. I found that I listen to books the way I read them - I picture everything about what is going on, the people, the setting, etc. I am in the book, not where I am. When I almost plowed into the back of a car in front of me, I decided that I'd better forgo listening to books in the car...

I've been reading on my Kindle recently while we have moved. Books worth noting include:

Stillhouse Lake by Rachel Caine - Usually, I don't like psychological thrillers, but I've stuck with this one. I've enjoyed it so far and I'm over halfway through it.

Love the House You Are In by Paige Rien - It's written for the house people are already in, but I'm reading it as a way of sparking ideas of what to do with the house we are in the process of moving into. It's a good book that goes through the stereotypical design descriptions and decisions prevalent these days.

No Sweat by Michelle Segar - I'm rereading this book to try to jumpstart my fitness efforts. It's more about the science of motivation than about a specific fitness routine.

Meet Me At Beachcomber Bay by Jill Mansell - I really enjoyed this newest book by this author. It wasn't anything new, but I really liked the characters and it flowed.
I'm like you, Laura. I absolutely love audiobooks and probably use them for 75% of my "reading," but I cannot drive and listen to a book. I need to pay attention to the road, and if I'm listening to a book, that isn't going to happen. However, I do a lot of housework (washing dishes, doing laundry, dusting, etc.) and walk while listening to audiobooks.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 03:37 PM  
BunnyHop

I recently got the first Harry Potter on cd, (read by Stephen Fry) and find that I can listen to that while I drive. The familiarity of it is a help.

I've never had much success with other audio books, though, as others have said, it can be a dangerous distraction.

Still trudging through The Curse of Chalion when I have some down time. It's mostly staying in my purse so I can have something to read when sitting/waiting elsewhere.
Old 01-04-18, 04:19 PM  
donnamp

I used to not be able to listen to books and drive either but I started getting easier to read/listen to books (nothing complex in language or plot) and/or listening to books I have read already and that helps!

Donna
Old 01-04-18, 05:51 PM  
Judy W.

There were a couple of good books I read over the holidays --

Before the Rain Falls by Camille Di Maio -- sounds like a real dark story about a woman convicted of murdering her sister in 1942; paroled in the "present" at age 90; set in a drought-stricken Texas town (this may have sounded good due to the arctic plunge we are experiencing); present day characters include a jaded reporter from the big city following up on the story of the murderess and a woman reluctantly returning to said town to help her grandmother and sister. This turned out to be a real feel good story with a good plot twist!

Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson -- a reprint of an older book about a spinster lady who writes (under an assumed name) a novel based on her English home town sometime around the 1930s; her neighbors recognize themselves all too well and are thrown into an uproar. This is the first in a series, and I shall have to get the subsequent books as well!

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, winter reading