Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-17, 02:49 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Talking "New to me" instructor discovery!

I ordered Kristen Dowell's Dressed Up Drills and Cardio Hi/Lo Recharge after I saw a recommendation here last week.

I did the Hi/Lo Recharge DVD yesterday and LOVED it!! Kristen has an easy going, natural type personality that comes across in the workout (at least IMHO) and the workout can be modified up or down depending on the impact. I thought her cuing was stellar. I didn't intend to do the entire workout due to time constraints, but the time flew by and I was at the end almost before I knew it! I couldn't believe I missed this when it came out, and was surprised (but then not surprised) that is was from 2012. That year was full of personal challenges for me with the loss of my mother and sister and the whole year was pretty much a blur. If there was much talk about these at the time of release, I missed it and didn't see a whole lot mentioned when I did a search yesterday.

So, five years later, I have discovered Kristen and really look forward to doing Dressed Up Drills later today.

What hidden gems have you discovered months or years later?

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-17, 02:54 PM  
muggle

I've always been so enamored with Cathe that it took me a while to discover "others". Paul Katami, Toby Massenburg, Mindy Mylrea, Mike Donavanic, of course Patrick Goudeau, Michelle Dozois and YES Kristen Dowell, Dana Peiper. Some instructors only put out very few workouts but they're Awesome! I love it when that happens!!
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-17, 03:27 PM  
dianestjohn

I see this was released in 2014. Ahhhhh the good old days of 2014 when I would pick and choose what dvds to buy, rather than my current situation of just wanting to buy ANY WORKOUT DVD PLEASE SOMEONE MAKE ONE!!! LOL. Anyhow, I had passed it over when it came out, who knows why, but now I think it looks fun so it is now on my Kineticflix queue. Thanks for sharing :-)
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-17, 08:18 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I ordered Kristen Dowell's Dressed Up Drills and Cardio Hi/Lo Recharge after I saw a recommendation here last week.

I did the Hi/Lo Recharge DVD yesterday and LOVED it!! Kristen has an easy going, natural type personality that comes across in the workout (at least IMHO) and the workout can be modified up or down depending on the impact. I thought her cuing was stellar. I didn't intend to do the entire workout due to time constraints, but the time flew by and I was at the end almost before I knew it! I couldn't believe I missed this when it came out, and was surprised (but then not surprised) that is was from 2012. That year was full of personal challenges for me with the loss of my mother and sister and the whole year was pretty much a blur. If there was much talk about these at the time of release, I missed it and didn't see a whole lot mentioned when I did a search yesterday.

So, five years later, I have discovered Kristen and really look forward to doing Dressed Up Drills later today.

What hidden gems have you discovered months or years later?
I saw the same thread and had never heard of Kristen Dowell before. I looked up some clips of her workouts and think they look really good! I haven't ordered anything from her yet, but she is on my wish list! I'm happy to hear you are loving her workouts!
Old 08-15-17, 08:34 AM  
muggle

I forgot to mention Jeanette Jenkins and my beloved Kickboxing instructor Susan Chung!
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-17, 08:46 AM  
owltx

I Kristen Dowell's Dressed Up Drills and Hi-Lo Recharge. I agree she is a great instructor, excellent at cuing w/a fun and encouraging personality. I really hope she puts out more workouts - I would love to see a Drills II.
Old 08-15-17, 09:17 AM  
AnMrsDe

I found Kristen Dowell last year and totally agree, her Dressed Up Drills is so fun! I still haven't bit on her Hi/Lo Recharge simply b/c it looks too choreographed for this two left footed girl! Love her personality and also want to give a definite shout-out to the modifier who does such a great job in DUD. She actually gives modifiers a good name....keeping it low impact but works it and works it hard!

New to me this year was Sagi Kalev in Body Beast. Never, ever thought I could stomach a muscle-clad "huge" guy during a weight workout with sweaty, testosterone-oozing backgrounders (ya, one in particular makes me want to hurl!), but Sagi really motivates me to pick up those heavys! I think it is just what my body needed to slim down during this menopausal phase. Who knew?

Also, a mention for Vytas Baskauskas from yoga fame. Didn't think anyone could top Travis but he is right up there and with his very meticulous cueing, I find him so informative for alignment that I really scoped out his classes. A first for me, as I didn't really do very many of his classes when I was subscribed to Udaya a few years ago but am finding out he is fabulous and has pretty many classes on MyYogaWorks which are labeled as Level 2 or 3 mostly. I love to be challenged in my practice!

Thanks for the thread! I need to pull out Kristin's workout again...it's been too long!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-17, 03:38 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Another good instructor especially for fun hi/lo is Katina Hunter. She has Interval Party 1 & 2. She also has some good step & strength workout dvd's. I think they're all great workouts. She was supposed to make a Kick Party workout, but she never did.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-17, 11:14 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer P. View Post
Another good instructor especially for fun hi/lo is Katina Hunter. She has Interval Party 1 & 2. She also has some good step & strength workout dvd's. I think they're all great workouts. She was supposed to make a Kick Party workout, but she never did.
So, thanks to you I have ordered Interval party 2 and it's on its way to me. There were a couple of Katina's workouts available at collage (Mary doesn't have any). I'm going to give this one a try and if I like her I'll try the step. Thanks!

P.S. Dressed up Drills is FUN and tough!
PPS AnMrsDe, I didn't really find Kristin's choreography to be extremely complex, doable for me anyway so you might like it.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-17, 12:26 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
So, thanks to you I have ordered Interval party 2 and it's on its way to me. There were a couple of Katina's workouts available at collage (Mary doesn't have any). I'm going to give this one a try and if I like her I'll try the step. Thanks!

P.S. Dressed up Drills is FUN and tough!
PPS AnMrsDe, I didn't really find Kristin's choreography to be extremely complex, doable for me anyway so you might like it.
I really hope you like Interval Party 2. My favorite step eorkouts from Katina are Step Party 1, 2 & Vertical Party 1. They aren't intense like Cathe's step, but I get a good workout (on 8" step.)

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kristen dowell