Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-17, 07:41 AM  
katalina

Ellie Herman's Pilates Reformer, Second Edition book

I have a question. I love working out on my Pilates Performer I bought at QVC years ago. I have been looking at Ellie Herman's Pilates Reformer book for months. The price is REALLY steep. Those of you that have this book - is it worth the cost? I've tried to find sample pages, etc. and have been unsuccessful. My birthday is coming up and I'm thinking of asking for this. What do you think?

Thanks!
Kathy
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-17, 02:33 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Kathy, I bought this book in February 2007, just before the 2nd edition came out. I don't know if it is very different. The pages that can be previewed on Amazon are identical, I think, to those in my book. The list price for the 1st edition was $69.95 and I paid $59.46 for it on Amazon, new. Here is a page I scanned for you, and which is typical for the information she gives on each exercise. In my edition she rearrranges the 'traditional' order of the exercises and often renames them. Is it worth it? I can't answer that for you. (I've derived what knowledge I have from many different sources.) I will say that she is more explicit about which muscles are being targeted in her manual than others, and I prefer her manual to Stott's Advanced Reformer, Rael's, and June Kahn's. But Pilates manuals are very expensive. There are also many, many free Youtube videos on various exercises performed on the reformer. And KineticFlix may have some reformer dvds you can rent.

-- I'm sorry but VF is not allowing me to upload the picture any larger. Perhaps you can save the image and enlarge it on your computer. P.S. I just pm'd and emailed you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ellie H080.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	4536  
Old 08-07-17, 06:23 AM  
Aunt Famous

I have Rael Isacowitz's Pilates, which I got used for about $10 on Amazon. It has all the exercises for the mat and the apparatuses. It might be a good place to start without all the expense.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-17, 06:46 AM  
katalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Famous View Post
I have Rael Isacowitz's Pilates, which I got used for about $10 on Amazon. It has all the exercises for the mat and the apparatuses. It might be a good place to start without all the expense.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Thanks! I already have that one and it is good! Over the years I have purchased a lot of great Pilates books and dvds. I just keep reading great things about Ellie Herman's book. I think I'm going to hold off for now and keep using what I've been using. Thanks again!
Old 08-07-17, 11:05 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

aloha Kathy - do any of the libraries in your city have it? or maybe even an e-version? that could be one way of checking. i checked our libraries over here, and the only title they have of Ellie's is Pilates for Dummies. i'll try to see if the university has a copy.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-17, 06:51 AM  
katalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
aloha Kathy - do any of the libraries in your city have it? or maybe even an e-version? that could be one way of checking. i checked our libraries over here, and the only title they have of Ellie's is Pilates for Dummies. i'll try to see if the university has a copy.
Great suggestion, Jeannine. I'll have to try that. How are things in paradise?
Old 08-08-17, 10:20 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalina View Post
Great suggestion, Jeannine. I'll have to try that. How are things in paradise?

it's pretty hot over here. my hot flashes have subsided the past year or so, but the external heat is still happening.

awwww. i just checked the university catalog here but the reformer book didn't show up.

your library might have an inter-library loan system. we have one, but if it's out of state, the cost might be more than simply purchasing the book.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ellie herman, pilates, reformer