Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-09-17, 04:51 PM  
Blackadar

Coming Back to Life

Howdy fellow VFers. It's been a while. A long while.

To make what could be a very long (and a bit depressing) post quite short, I'm coming back to working out after a very long and somewhat involuntary hiatus of 4 or 5 years. Unfortunately, in that time I have gained all my weight back - I'm quite large - and thus the areas that could cope with stress (back, knees, shins) are not able to deal with much pounding.

Running is out. I can't do it anymore and may never be able to run again. Anything high impact is out (goodbye Plyo). Anything quite stressful is out (so no T 25 or Tabata). The absolute most I can do are some of the old Les Mills Combat instructor classes (I would KILL for some more of those even though I'm having to modify the heck out of them - I hate what Beachbody did to that series).

So what's somewhat new for a guy who has no dance coordination whatsoever (and hates any remotely dancey videos) and is just crawling out of a hole where I can actually do a fitness program again? Is there anything particularly good that's come out in the last 4 years?

I have the old stuff like Chalene Extreme, P90X (not right now) and some older KCM ones (I think the most modern one I have is her boxing one) but I don't really want to go back to my old ones. I used to blow through those pretty well and it'd be a HUGE demotivator to have to struggle through those now. It'd bring back how little I can to today versus what I used to do. I figure if I can get a few new videos or programs and start to ramp up then I'll feel better about tackling the old ones.

PS - I'm also exceptionally not flexible so forget Yoga as well. I couldn't do the first move and thus any Yoga disk I purchased would quickly find a life as a Frisbee or a coaster. Don't even bother with those suggestions.
Old 03-09-17, 04:55 PM  
Jags

I really enjoyed Beachbody's new Core de Force. I think it would fit your requirements perfectly.

Dealing with setbacks AND an aging body is a challenge, I sympathize completely.
Jags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 05:08 PM  
noodles

Welcome back Blackadar. I remember reading your posts in the past and recall how humorous they always were. Are you a Cathe fan? She has an intermediate series "ICE" that came out last year that's alot of fun, shows modifications. Her new Strong and Sweaty series is advanced but possibly doable using lighter weights. PHA and Giant Sets are total body with great premixes and the method of the workout results in a cardio effect even though they are weight workouts. If you have a spinning bike this set also has an optional Cycle Sweat which is her best spinning DVD IMO so far and low impact for you. Sorry you've had a challenging few years but we're here to cheer you on in your return to the fitness world
Jamie
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 05:13 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

A few years ago Tony Horton did a reboot of his original Power 90 program--it's called P90. It's better than the original for sure and is aimed at the many zillions of people for whom P90X is a no-go. Maybe you could think about using it as a gateway back to the more strenuous workouts you already have.

I'm really sorry about your setbacks, and it is very good to see you back here. Your posts were wonderful (I seem to recall some hilarious posts about Chalean Extreme and/or P90X) and you really added to the vibe here.

Welcome back! I wish you all the best in regaining your fitness mojo.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 05:27 PM  
sherry7899

Welcome back! I am sorry you have been through a rough time. If I think of any ideas I will post. I loved reading your reviews and posts.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 05:38 PM  
laurajhawk

Hey, welcome back!
P90 is a good suggestion.
Jessica Smith is also great - you could start with youtube videos (she has MANY), see if you like her, maybe progress to one of her "systems". Yes there are dancy ones, but most are not.
And even though you said "don't", I'll suggest DDP Yoga, because I think it's actually made for folks just like you.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 06:21 PM  
dnna

my son is 35!!!(when! how!) and is living up here while he finishes his degree -it is an hour to a gym, so he started using dvd's. He loves Beachboy Pump and Combat, also Beachboy 21 day fix and 21 day fix extreme.
but mostly he loves Gilad and the guys -aka glad interval training and Commander Tom (I will find the title) . He is doing great. He isn't flexible either but started doing a 10 minute stretch daily ( tamilee ) and every little bit helps with stretching.
I found a bunch of Gilad bodies in motion in the garage (!!!) and he is blasting through those and it is fun-don't forget the fun factor. and don't beat yourself up. it happens. good luck!
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 06:25 PM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

I would second Cathe's ICE, also the Low Impact Series. I have been enjoying Cathe Live. Those are more intermediate and the people in the class look like actual humans rather than superfit fitness models.

Welcome back!!
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 06:46 PM  
cyana

Welcome back - I missed your great signature line.

How do you feel about You Tube work-outs? Millionaire Hoy has plenty of fans here and he's done some Basic and Beginner HIIT work-outs as well as some Low Impact work-outs in addition to higher intensity programs. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC2...IdItfm5t2zpspg

Best of luck - I've had a number of "my life isn't my own" periods for some time and getting back into your formerly comfortable fitness routine can be quite a challenge.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 07:21 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

If you want more LesMills Combat, you can check out Les Mills On Demand. It is only $13 a month. There are 11 Combat workouts on there, plus most of their other series. (However, warning, some of the workouts are shortened. They only have 5 full length, but they add new workouts every week.)

For strength there is BodyPump, CXWorx (which is focused on the core) and Grit.

I think their best and most effective workout series is Grit, which is very tough and athletic. Don't be put off by the "tough" because they show modifications for every single move and it is very much a go at your own pace type workout.

Tags
blackadar is back!, new p90, reviews