Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-17, 07:58 AM  
PhyllisG

Piyo?

Anyone still using Piyo? What are your thoughts? I have seen infomercials for Piyo a couple of times in the last few weeks. I had it, traded it when it first came out. Then I was tempted again last year I think. This is kind of a repeat from the thread I started then. I am much more involved with yoga now and wondered if I would have a different perspective.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 08:09 AM  
furmomof6

Sorry I can't answer but I'm so glad you asked! I've been going back and forth on wanting to try this set for at least a year now, lol. I saw the infomercial last weekend and of course it sparked my interest again. Side note... I thought Chalene looked adorable in the commercial. I loved her hair cut! She always seems so joyful.

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 08:19 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I bought PiYo recently and have done a few workouts.

I think it's primarily bodyweight workouts with some yoga-esque elements and, at least from what i have seen so far, not much that I'd call "pilates".

That said, it's fun. I have enjoyed the workouts I've done. I got the basic package, not the one with the gliders.

If you're looking for a true yoga-based program, Ultimate Yogi or Yoga Warrior 365 are a couple of good ones. However, the practices are a 50-65 minutes. A good thing about PiYo is the shorter workout length.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 08:53 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I picked up Piyo at a used book sale last fall. I like some of the workouts, but as Betsy suggested, it's not really Pilates, and it's not really yoga, either. I would say it's a bit more yoga than Pilates--a few of the workouts have Chalene's version of a sun salutation, and there are a few actual yoga poses, like warrior and down dog--but really, it's more bodyweight toning like Betsy suggested.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 09:55 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post

If you're looking for a true yoga-based program, Ultimate Yogi or Yoga Warrior 365 are a couple of good ones. However, the practices are a 50-65 minutes. A good thing about PiYo is the shorter workout length.
Yoga 30for30 is very much the "30-minute Ultimate Yogi", although it is streaming/download only.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 11:45 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I haven't given the series a decent try, that's for sure, I've only done the Sculpt 30 minute workout (IIRC). I love Chalene in her Turbo Jam/Fire workouts and enjoy her goofiness usually. But I was turned off because she made a comment (I think while pulsing in plie or curtsey lunge) about how "this is more painful than an epidural." (roll eyes smiley) I thought that was an over the top comment for a medium intensity workout-or any workout? Also, I guess from my barre work, her definition of high reps and mine is a little different. It just didn't seem challenging enough. Nor fusiony enough, I was expecting something more like Jillian Michaels' Yoga Inferno, which I've done recently and thought it was a decent challenge. Or even JM's Yoga Meltdown which is a little easier but still thought it captured the essence of yoga+toning more than Piyo. Or better yet, Michelle Dozios' 360 workout or something like Dream Body.

I agree with others that there doesn't seem like much a pilates influence at all, more yoga with bodyweight toning.

However, I haven't tried what are supposed to be some of the harder workouts yet, the gliding and Drench, so I should give those a try and hopefully have a better experience.
Old 02-23-17, 11:46 AM  
sherry7899

I had it and sold it on VF Roost. If you have any kind of shoulder issues, stay away from it.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 12:45 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I had it and sold it on VF Roost. If you have any kind of shoulder issues, stay away from it.

Sherry
Good to know. I watched the infomercial yesterday and was mildly interested. But if it's not really a true yoga/pilates fusion and it's tough on the shoulders I'm out.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 01:07 PM  
PhyllisG

I had it. I tried it. I traded it. Why would I think I would like it a second time around? My first instincts were right. I disliked it for all of the above reasons.Thanks for saving me from thinking anything more about it.
They did make a good informercial.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 01:39 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post

Sherry
Proof that we're all different - I'm working on a shoulder issue caused mostly by poor posture and my shoulders feel better than ever after doing PiYo.

Overall, it's an unusual set. I find it challenging. It's quite repetitious, the music is very bland, and some of the workouts are just odd. But like I said, I like the way it feels on my shoulders and upper back.

Gwynn
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
piyo