Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-14, 12:44 PM  
Sissy B

I can't remember if you use kettlebells or not. If so, can you do kettlebell swings? I find they do miraculous things for my butt and I don't have to use a very heavy kettlebell to get almost immediate results - I alternate between 13 and 18# most of the time.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-14, 12:50 PM  
RubyBlue

Hi Sissy! No, no kettlebells for me although I love them and have loads; the swing keels my back (probably a form issue but it just aggravates me.) Good suggestion though, I love them!

'Ballet Beautiful' I am seriously considering; I have access to some of the streaming segments and I like them lots. I was very interested in the comments about them on another rehab thread, thanks.
RubyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-14, 02:09 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

So you swim? I get a great workout in the pool swimming lengths. I do some with swim fins and that really works my butt.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-14, 02:23 PM  
bettyboopboop

I'm so sorry you're going through this, Rubyblue. I have been dealing with a knee injury that turned into more chronic knee issues/pain for the last almost 2 years. When I finally got health insurance this year, I started physical therapy as soon as I could. While my knees are not 100% better, I got tons of feedback/education on my form and how to modify/work up to full squats. I can do them way better/easier now.

I used to avoid squats/lunges due to knee pain. In fact, my first post here 10 years ago was about lower body workouts without squats/lunges due to knee pain. My physical therapist and I believe that back then I had patellar tracking issues and patellar tendonitis back then, which I still have but to a worse extent. While resting/avoiding aggravating exercises are key points of treatment, seeing if there's a "root of the problem" might make you feel better in the long run. Hope this doesn't sound preachy! You know what is best for you. I've just had my life changed so much by knee injury (gained 100 pounds) that my heart aches for anyone with similar issues. I hope you find what's right for you!
Old 10-30-14, 05:35 PM  
dmlarue1

I also try to avoid squats and lunges. I do Margaret Richards as she doesn't have many squats/lunges, also so floorwork and pilates side series.
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-14, 12:11 AM  
RubyBlue

Thanks again everyone; all good suggestions. I do have Margaret's DVDs so that would be an option; unfortunately swimming is out due to time constraints. But yes, it would have been a great option.

Beth- so sorry you've been through this. I am so worried about my knee getting worse- it isn't getting wore, and there is no structural damage (PT thinks it is partly due to a tight IT band and weak glutes, so I have to do a lot of glute work, especially clams for the medial glute). But everything kinda hurts- not agony, but enough to know it's not a good sign.

Thanks so much for your encouragment- much appreciated. I know how frustrating it is when you're fit yet have to work within limitations, like so many of us do. I'm glad you've seen progress though- it gives me hope!
Old 10-31-14, 04:30 AM  
yahoo205

Definitely Barre. I haven't done barre in a while so I can't remember which ones are best for the butt.

Callanetics, Super Callanetics, Quick Callanetics Butt.

I used to do the Original Cardio Barre and when it got easy I did multiple sets of the butt exercises (standing and floor) and it was great. Maybe I should try it again. Same thing for other Barre or Callanetics. Sometimes you need to do some more reps (or add weight) to get the burn.

Do you think lunges would sliders would be ok for your knee?
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-14, 05:00 AM  
RubyBlue

Thanks- yes, I find I have to do multiple sets of barre glute work to feel it, although Callanetics is a killer (but doesn't suit my back, sadly).

Funnily enough I did some slider legs this morning without weight and my left knee really did feel it. Side slider lunges also hurt.
Old 10-31-14, 09:19 PM  
Scorpio6

Solution to LB Strength w/out Squats & Lunges

I can't do them either. Here's what works for me.

1. Leg Lifts w/ ankle weight belts. Start w/ 2 lb, progress to 3 lb. Start w/ 20 reps, progress to 36 or 40. This is lifts for outer thigh, then inner thigh, on all 4s knee to chest then straighten leg out; on all 4s one leg straight out behind you and lift and lower; on all 4s lift one leg w/ bent knee. Repeat other side.

I recommend you do the all 4s work on the bed with pillows under your knees.

2. Leg Extensions. Sit on the side of the bed, put a 3 lb weighted ball under your knee to support it. Have the 2 lb ankle weights on. SLOWLY lift and lower your leg. Start w/ 2 sets of 10. Progress to 3 sets of 10. Finally you will be able to knock off 30 at a whack. Then you move up to 3 lb ankle weights.

If you do not have the 3 lb weighted ball under your knee for support, it will pull too much on your knee and you will rapidly be in pain. The weighted ball is essential. I learned this one from a Karen Voight video.

3. Leg Crossovers. Sit on the bed (not the edge) with your legs stretched right out in front of you. Keeping legs straight, roll partially over on your L hip while crossing your R leg over the L. Repeat w/ the L leg. Do this a total of 12 times per side. This helps stretch the piriformis and IT band and is a very modified version of more difficult stretches.

4. Bridges w/ feet on a squishy ball. Still on the bed, lie on your back. Knees bent, put feet up on a squishy ball. SLOWLY lift and lower your bum. Can also do one-legged lifts w/ one ft on the ball and the other leg stretched out straight on the bed.

5. Clamshells while lying on side on bed, holding 5 lb dumbbell on the thigh of the working leg.

Hope this helps.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-14, 10:34 PM  
Scorpio6

Squishy Ball Recommend

Hi there. Just wanted to add a note.

The absolute best squishy ball I have found is the one that Barre3 sells, you can get it online from their store. Love it.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bands lower body, glutes, lower body, lunge-free, squat-free, strong curves