Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-13, 01:24 PM  
Stephanie_B

UY came out in December 2011 and drops were in June 2012 with 25% off via their website and then the big drops to $70 July 2013, so that didn't bug me because I got it when I wanted it and use them a lot.

I remember buying APY60 at full price and less than a month later the Groupon dealio came out, but again I didn't care as I got it when I wanted it and worth it.

But I remember Firm Tri Trainers. Firstly, they were advertised never to be in stores...and they were within 90 days. Second my tapes came smashed, I had to pay return shipping AND I HAD TO PAY S&H for them to ship replacements. I essentially paid for shipping THREE TIMES and by the time I had working sets WALMART HAD THEM. It did leave a sour taste in my mouth....usually I'm more "meh I got them sooner" but the cost of shipping I could have gotten three sets at Walmart.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-13, 01:49 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

one thought occurred to me regarding the Met-Rx set: bootleggers wouldn't dare bootleg that set.

and maybe the same can be said for all other sets whose prices rapidly dropped.

also, these "less established workout set creators" (i.e., non-Beachbody) are realizing that it takes a lot of marketing & maintenance to be able to offer and sustain these workout sets. you can't offer a huge set and be able to attract repeat customers unless you keep cranking out new sets.

rodale or Gaiam could compete with Beachbody, but they choose not to expend the effort.

the cautionary tale for Beachbody, on the other hand, would be: if other people can offer such drastically cheaper sets*, will Beachbody continue to do what they do and still profit by that same model?

i think these companies have to further see what will attract customers - we're seeing more streaming products. i think people are saturated with gadgets - i think that model is dying quicky.

*S90 comes to mind - it was $20 right out of the gate.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-13, 03:53 PM  
debbied
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Oh, speaking of UR, I remember finding them in Kohl's for $24, then a week or so later, they cut them even further to $12, with some people getting them free after coupons! That was a fun thread. People were driving miles through blizzards, sneaking into stock rooms looking for them, and other adventures.
Count me in on that one. I gave it as a gift to my advisors who work with autistic children. They had been through two or three inexpensive rebounders while I was there (about a year). Driving 30 miles to buy two for them did my heart good. And with the Kohl's coupons, it was quite the deal.

Constantly in a state of gratitude.

Dream big because the only thing that can hold you back is a life without dreams. Sean O'Malley

If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. Jean Kerr
debbied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-13, 04:37 PM  
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

the cautionary tale for Beachbody, on the other hand, would be: if other people can offer such drastically cheaper sets*, will Beachbody continue to do what they do and still profit by that same model?
BB uses a drastically different business model than other fitness video producers in that the videos are merely a hook to introduce customers to their vast array of dietary supplements. It's very easy to spend 10X more for supplements than on the videos and exercise equipment.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-13, 06:52 PM  
horusosiris

I have found that if you wait long enough most workouts go on sale.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-13, 07:02 PM  
Lizzo
VF Supporter

Probably not as drastic as some of the others mentioned here, but I originally purchased Eoin Finn's Blissology a few years back for the full price, $60, but wasn't too fond of it and traded it away. I reacquired it at an Athleta store awhile back, on clearance, for $15. I like it much more this time around, but wish I had waited.

http://musingsofafitnessjunkie.blogspot.com
Lizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-13, 07:58 PM  
slysam

I usually don't pre-order and wait until there are reviews so far I have seen price drops as "lucky finds". I am sure my exception might be the Firm Zip since I preordered it. But usually if I join the bandwagon it is after a price drop.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-13, 08:51 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Oh, speaking of UR, I remember finding them in Kohl's for $24, then a week or so later, they cut them even further to $12, with some people getting them free after coupons! That was a fun thread. People were driving miles through blizzards, sneaking into stock rooms looking for them, and other adventures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbied View Post
Count me in on that one. I gave it as a gift to my advisors who work with autistic children. They had been through two or three inexpensive rebounders while I was there (about a year). Driving 30 miles to buy two for them did my heart good. And with the Kohl's coupons, it was quite the deal.
I actually bought 3 of these at $12 each, one at the Kohl's near me and 2 others some distance from my house. One was for a VF friend who lives near where I work as the Kohl's near her didn't have any. I still have one unopened in my garage. Originally I wanted it as a spare but I hardly use the one I have set up in my workout area. I offered the spare one to another VF person but we have not been able to coordinate meeting. Given how infrequently I use it I am so glad I spent a fraction of the original price.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-13, 11:05 PM  
hypnomoon

Where can I get the D2D dvds at the reduced price?
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-13, 05:04 AM  
chrisqan

off topic- but is ultimate yogi still $70 now? i'm thinking of purchasing this set, does any one know where i could find the best price? tia!
chrisqan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d2s, met-rx 180, ultimate yogi