Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-13, 09:15 AM  
isebelleg44

Off-Topic: Who is not on Facebook?

I never could get into the Facebook thing. I created an account a few years back to see pictures that my sister posted of my girls. I eventually just deactivated my account.

I was having a conversation with someone a few weeks back. We were talking about not having a Facebook account and that we we are in the minority. We are the freaks!

So fellow Vfers, who is not on Facebook and why? And if you are, what is the appeal? Thanks!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 09:25 AM  
NotThatGirl

I'm not on Facebook anymore. Thank goodness! I finally caved a few years ago when we moved to keep in touch and before I knew it there were all these people coming out of the woodwork and I found it totally annoying. Last year I stopped. I'm a really private person and only share life events with people I care about and am close with. My circle of friends is small and I like it that way, it's easier for me to be a friends with just a few people rather than a lot of people. I sometimes miss seeing some pictures of my friends personal stuff but not enough to join again. That's what email is for!

I have no problem whatsoever with anyone who is on Facebook, many of my friends use it (I do think I am the only one who isn't) but it's just not for me.

Last edited by NotThatGirl; 01-17-13 at 09:25 AM. Reason: I need to learn to proofread- missing words
NotThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 09:29 AM  
Poodlepants

I joined in 2004 Facebook when it was only for people with .edu domains. I liked it for contacting other students to ask about assignments, meeting up to study, etc. I left it in 2009 and never looked back. It just wasn't for me anymore.
Poodlepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 09:31 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I've never been on it because I'm such a private person but I feel like I'm missing out on a lot. Not keeping up with friends, but with instructors and people in the functional medicine field that I try to follow. They don't answer my emails but send them out to me and are always saying to drop them a line on FB. It makes me wonder if they would acknowledge me there.

I'm having a particularly hard time reaching the people at Metabolic Effect. I like their methods and joined their Lifestylers Club but have never received the log in info I was supposed to get on Jan. 1. In the meantime, they have already charged my credit card but they haven't answered a single email. I don't know if my emails don't get through or if they are actually ignoring me but if they don't respond soon I'll have to get the credit card company involved and I'd rather not go that route. I just wonder if a single comment on FB would get their attention due to comments that people have made here about getting responses from instructors on FB pretty quickly.
Old 01-17-13, 09:35 AM  
Honeydew

Metabolic Effect is on facebook..I can give them a message for you if you want, then we'll see if it gets their attention..or you could just always go ahead and dispute the charges.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 09:36 AM  
MARIKA

I joined a few months back and never use it. I just never got into it. I always thought I'd be the only one left who never joined.
Old 01-17-13, 09:38 AM  
JulieIL

I am on Facebook...kind of. I have an alias similar to my real name that I used to create an account to keep connected the DH's family. The family previously had its own web page that wasn't free, & everyone voted to connect on Facebook because it was free & could include friends, etc. I haven't really considered creating an account with my real name, as the family members that I wanted to stay connected to friended my alias.

I have considered joining with my real name, to reconnect with high school & college friends, but the current privacy/data collection issues creep me out. DH & others in my family also refuse to use Facebook, as they seemed to be wary about the privacy violations from the beginning. DH does have a LinkedIn account.

I have not allowed my 13 & 15 year old sons to join Facebook either (most of their friends have had accounts since they've been in elementary school). Believe me, I got lots of grief from them initially. I saw the benefit of social connections, & my sons thankfully have lots of good friends, but I just saw the potential for "mean girl" behavior with this (though I have sons, I think you all know what I mean by "mean girl" behavior). They are active with school, activities, sports, etc, in real life. Maybe now that they're older, we'll reconsider, but honestly they don't seem that concerned anymore. I have also heard from the other moms that Twitter is considered cooler now, anyway.

Julie
JulieIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 09:38 AM  
PhyllisG

I am not on facebook but have recently considered joining to promote my business.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 09:39 AM  
pricek

I'm not on Facebook either. I guess I'm a freak!
pricek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 09:44 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
I joined years ago. Never check it, never posted anything. I just prefer to directly email or call the people I want to share my life with. It would be nice to keep in touch with people from my past, but I don't want the pressure of finding interesting stuff to post that would be appropriate for everyone.

I have had friends get in trouble for posting things on facebook that others found out about and were hurt by (One friend posted something she was frustrated with her son's teacher about and one of her friends mentioned it to the teacher. It ended up being a big bruhaha and her son was moved to a different class).

My kids are 12 and have no interest in it. I don't think any of their friends use it either.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
facebook, old thread alert