Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-14-12, 07:42 PM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

My problem with success stories....

I rarely see one written about a woman going through the change of life. Most stories are from women between the ages of 25-40 who had children and couldn't lose the baby weight. It's rare to see a story about a woman, age 45-55, who struggled through menopause and got fantastic results doing a specific program.

I'm more aware of it now because I'm 49 and just found out at my physical yesterday that I gained 12 pounds in 1 year! I don't weigh myself and never had a weight problem, so that was a total shocker. My doc said it's to be expected because I'm approaching menopause. Now I'm looking for a diet and exercise program to help me lose the weight, but the success stories are no help. I did purchase Jillian's Body Revolution due to the positive reviews on VF. Though, I hope I made the right decision cuz she can get on my nerves! lol!
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-12, 07:48 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie w View Post
I rarely see one written about a woman going through the change of life. Most stories are from women between the ages of 25-40 who had children and couldn't lose the baby weight. It's rare to see a story about a woman, age 45-55, who struggled through menopause and got fantastic results doing a specific program.

I'm more aware of it now because I'm 49 and just found out at my physical yesterday that I gained 12 pounds in 1 year! I don't weigh myself and never had a weight problem, so that was a total shocker. My doc said it's to be expected because I'm approaching menopause. Now I'm looking for a diet and exercise program to help me lose the weight, but the success stories are no help. I did purchase Jillian's Body Revolution due to the positive reviews on VF. Though I hope I made the right decision cuz she gets on my nerves! lol!
I would, too! I'm also 49 and perimenopausal, with hormone imbalance and now thyroid issues. I would be helpful to see accounts from middle-agers like us.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-12, 09:32 PM  
DebnPhx
VF Supporter

It gets worse. I'm 53 and think I'm now actually in menopause. Suddenly I'm gaining a pound or more a week and haven't changed my diet or exercise patterns or anything else that would account for it. I do little cardio except walking but religiously do Pilates or weights almost every day (bad knee problems...)

Plus now I have a menopot I never had before. At least, I think that's what it is.

I'm trying to shake things up by doing Kundalini Yoga to work on my thyroid and also really really watching sugar. I'm suspecting that's going right to my waistline. I've been feeling bad with no energy at all, so that's another reason I'm focusing on my thyroid. I must admit, after three days of doing this, I do feel better.

Not sure if this approach will help with the weight gain or menopot yet.
DebnPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-12, 09:52 PM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

I'm in the same place. I am so discouraged.
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-12, 10:07 PM  
momof10

It is very discouraging going through menopause, especially the menopot. I can say that I was able to watch my food intake and exercise without feeling deprived, to lose my weight after each of my babies. Even the 3 babies that were born in my 40s. That being said, once I hit 50 and my monthlies stopped, things changed.

I got the dreaded belly fat, arm fat and all out cellulite just about everywhere, but my face. One day, I looked in the mirror after my shower and was shocked to see that I looked like I just had a baby. My bust even got much, much bigger. That was when I had to rethink my way of eating. I cut out all sugar and did my workouts as usual. I was able to lose 20 pounds in about 3 months. I have been sugar free for just over 22 months now and the weight hasn't come back. I actually even have a 4 pack/ 6 pack Ab now.

Menopause wrecks havoc on our hormones and the weight I gained was nothing like I had to deal with before. I could exercise for 3 hours a day and I still gained weight. I now realize that these women I remember complaining about weight gain during menopause years ago, had it right. It is a struggle.

I do have a few friends who have had the opposite happen. They lost lots of weight and got really thin without any change in their diet or even exercising. It's just strange how our bodies can be so different during this time of our life.

Cheryl
Old 11-14-12, 11:23 PM  
Diavolobella
VF Supporter

Running

I've been going through this, but I was still able to lose weight and maintain the weight loss after I took up running. I run 3 miles on a treadmill three times a week and watch my calorie intake and that's worked for me, despite menopause. Not only has it been effective for that purpose, but it's increased my energy levels, makes me feel good and my legs look amazing. My arms look pretty great too. It's also a quick, efficient workout. 30 minutes and I'm done. I use the Virtual Active DVDs and they make it go by really quickly and keep me entertained. Running has made all the difference for me.

"We all want the looooove...without the handles!" Tracy Effinger

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Diavolobella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-12, 11:40 PM  
princess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie w View Post

I'm more aware of it now because I'm 49 and just found out at my physical yesterday that I gained 12 pounds in 1 year! I don't weigh myself and never had a weight problem, so that was a total shocker. My doc said it's to be expected because I'm approaching menopause. Now I'm looking for a diet and exercise program to help me lose the weight, but the success stories are no help. I did purchase Jillian's Body Revolution due to the positive reviews on VF. Though, I hope I made the right decision cuz she can get on my nerves! lol!
I'm 35. I lost a clothing size doing JMBR for 60 days. It's a great system!
princess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 06:41 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Hope you find success with JMBR! I am waiting for this system to go on sale.

I am also 49 and have been in menopause for 3+ years.
During my last doctor's visit, my waistline was measured. It was a shocker!
So I am also on a quest to shrink my waistline and take off a few pounds.
I am up a few pounds but my shape is so different now. Shape shifted. But I'll do something about it.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 07:03 AM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

After menopause, things just become that much harder. I believe that if one does not change the diet, with less meat and less treats, and more fruits and vegetables, she will add pounds. The main change I have noticed is that it is harder to lose weight now. I keep the old addage in mind: the body is 90% what you take in and 10% exercise.

That said, I love JMBR. Excellent workouts!
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 07:17 AM  
Jeanne Marie

I just turned 56 and here's my experience.

I have worked out and run 3 miles a day for years. I mean literally years.... probably at least 25 years consistently. I do all kinds of workouts, nothing specific. I mix it up with many different instructors and types of work outs. I've never done a "system" or a "rotation". I just make sure I alternate so I'm not working the same body parts two days in a row, but other than that, I just do something. My work outs are pretty intense, but I don't do an intense one every single day.

All that said, I think how much you eat is key. I'm not talking about a diet, or eliminating this or that, or anything special.... just watch your portions. Leave food on your plate. Eat small amounts.

I am completely through menopause and haven't gained a pound. When I was 29 years old and got pregnant with my son I weighed 110 lbs. I gained 16 pounds with him and he was 9 lbs at birth. Right now, 25 years after having him, and having gone through menopause, I weigh 115 lbs. (I attribute the extra 5 lbs to lifting weights because I am the same size.) I don't have the extra pudge around my waist. (yet anyway!)

So, my best guess at what has been successful for me is watching how much I eat and doing work outs consistently, as well as running 3 miles every day. I will say that I've seen changes in the texture and elasticity of my skin. That comes with age and is pretty much unavoidable. All things considered though, I'm pretty happy with my 56 year old body!

Tags
menopause, menopot, over 50, shapewear, spanx, weight loss