Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-12, 07:31 AM  
Sharaz

Thumbs up Amy Bento Drop Sets Strength

I rave about this workout at my check-in and want to share my feedback

Amy's Drop Sets Strength I did the workout entirely w/o core including a nice stretch on the ball. Amy's shows a variation of drop sets "predetermined descending weight rep ranges" no reaching total failure (3 sets per exercise) which is ok to built strength, but I did it the real drop set muscle building technique "continuing an exercises with a lower weight once muscle failure has been achieved at a higher weight" My HR was on the sky by the 1st split squat exercise, but dropped later on while working the small muscles. I like that it was not a "cardio effect". I was focused on lifting.

During the additional leg exercises she add some combo moves including upper body, but I kept with lower body only because I wanted to lift as much weight as possible with my legs until failure. During upper body she added different twists on each set. I was not on sync with her all the time, because by her her 1st drop I always pretty much was still using my heavy weight. Once I reach failure, I just catch whatever new variation she added to the exercise.

I was sore all over once I finished the workout. Today, I have some DOMS so I worked the muscles right. Is intense doing total body to failure. Is not the same as working one or two body parts to failure. By the final small muscle groups chapters, I was using much lighter weights because I couldn't lift to much on arms after chest/back/shoulders massacre lol I will do a total body workout like this weekly( failure) because muscles need proper recovery to obtain gains. Also, I'm not one that will use this technique often or as a regular weight training year around because the purpose is to shock the muscles. Maybe a monthly rotation will be right for me. I like to switch my workouts variables often.

The workout has 3 premixes. There are many options, including doing one body part per day split and adding HIIT cardio afterwards. That's one combo that came to my mind for a future body part split. Two of the pre-mixes can be done 2 times a week working leg twice. A nice split for me that love to work legs.

I think that either if you follow Amy's or take no rest continuing to failure this workouts is a gem. I know Amy from her kickbox and hi/low workouts, but really loved her strength work. Amy do not shows a hyper behavior in this workouts. She is calm and giving low key encouragements. Drops sets shows straight to the point weight lifting exercises with great form and pace
Old 07-29-12, 08:15 AM  
isebelleg44

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am on the look out for more total body strength workouts, but I never clicked with Amy's past strength offerings. I do like the looks of this one.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 08:19 AM  
Calistro

Hi Sharaz,

thanks for the review.

I have been thinking about this workout for some time. Do you think there is enough variety for me to buy this?

I had Amys slow mo workout a long time ago, and I am sure she did 3 sets of say 12 reps of everything. I cannot remember for sure as I only did it once, but I got bored from all the sets with the same exercises.

What I would like to know is how many sets for each body part and does she do the same exercises in all the sets?

Hope I make sense
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 08:45 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Drop Set Strength 90 min.
8 reps, 10 reps, 12 reps, heavy to light
Step with three risers

Warm up 5:30

Legs 19:40
Sumo squat (2 sets)
Bulgarian lunge (1 set per side)
Close stance squats
Single leg deadlift (1 set per side)

Chest 9:32
Seesaw press
Extended push up
Flyes

Back 8:10
Rows
Deadlift
Lat contraction

Shoulders 9:11
Arnold press
Double V
Eagles

Biceps 10:13
Bent over concentration curl
Hammer curl
Seated curl

Triceps 7:51
Wide kickback
Overhead press
Tricep push up

Abs 9:04
Halo (4 sets)
Tuck levitation (4 sets)
Full body extended crunch (2 sets)
Forearm plank/diagonal hop in (2 sets)

Stretch 11:20 (uses stability ball)
Old 07-29-12, 09:03 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

I just got this one too and did it the other day. REALLY liked it. The only complaint is that the back of the box said the workout was 60 minutes but its really 90. Ok by me, just have to make sure I allow more time.

I loved all the unique moves. I followed Amy's weights for the most part and went a little heavier on some. Sometimes using 5 lb weights just isn't enough even with the higher reps.

Sharaz did a great job highlighting everything. Amy cues well, tells you what weights she is using and offers encouragement. I will be doing this one again soon.

Lots of good premixes too.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 11:41 AM  
Calistro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
Drop Set Strength 90 min.
8 reps, 10 reps, 12 reps, heavy to light
Step with three risers

Warm up 5:30

Legs 19:40
Sumo squat (2 sets)
Bulgarian lunge (1 set per side)
Close stance squats
Single leg deadlift (1 set per side)

Chest 9:32
Seesaw press
Extended push up
Flyes

Back 8:10
Rows
Deadlift
Lat contraction

Shoulders 9:11
Arnold press
Double V
Eagles

Biceps 10:13
Bent over concentration curl
Hammer curl
Seated curl

Triceps 7:51
Wide kickback
Overhead press
Tricep push up

Abs 9:04
Halo (4 sets)
Tuck levitation (4 sets)
Full body extended crunch (2 sets)
Forearm plank/diagonal hop in (2 sets)

Stretch 11:20 (uses stability ball)

Thanks for the breakdown. It appears quite varied afterall.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 12:20 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

How long are the premixes in this workout?

thanks!

Pam

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 12:41 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am on the look out for more total body strength workouts, but I never clicked with Amy's past strength offerings. I do like the looks of this one.
I'm not loving this enough to pull it out so you are welcome to borrow mine if you send a SASE. It's just easier for me to have an addressed envelope I can pop in the mail without worry about getting to the P.O. P.M. me and I'll give you my addy if you want to try before you buy!
Old 07-29-12, 01:48 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

I really love this one too! I stay as heavy as possible until I have to drop to a lower weight.

I also remember modifying a few exercises to suit my taste. I love Amy!
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 01:57 PM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

I noticed on collage it is broken into certain segments, can you do a 20 minute segment here and there as an add-on? Does that seem easy to do - or do you really need to do the full 90 minutes to get a workout?

Tags
amy bento, amy bento ross, drop set strength, drop sets