Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-12, 11:26 AM  
pharma_gal

What is the difference between Drop sets and reverse pyramid?

I thought for drop sets the idea is to do a certain # of reps, then drop the weight and do the same # of reps...and so on. But in Amy's drop sets, as she drops the weight she increases the reps. This is the same as you would do a pyramid down workout like in Cathe's pyramid. What's the difference??

R.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 11:31 AM  
fit44

Sagi in The Beast workout has you do
15 reps, increase weight, short rest,
then 12 reps, increase weight,short rest,
then 8 reps, quickly drop weight with no rest, then 8 reps.
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 11:35 AM  
sciencelady

I think of drop sets as being one looong set where you start at a particular weight, drop down once you hit failure, but get no rest, drop down again with failure, but no rest, etc. Reverse pyramid you drop in weight but there's rest between the drops - that way you can get a given set of reps in with each drop down. With drop sets, the switch in weight comes with failure so harder to plan on hitting a specified rep count.

I'm not sure how its handled in those particular dvds, but sometimes terminology used isn't 100% accurate or consistent.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 01:14 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencelady View Post
I think of drop sets as being one looong set where you start at a particular weight, drop down once you hit failure, but get no rest, drop down again with failure, but no rest, etc. Reverse pyramid you drop in weight but there's rest between the drops - that way you can get a given set of reps in with each drop down. With drop sets, the switch in weight comes with failure so harder to plan on hitting a specified rep count.

I'm not sure how its handled in those particular dvds, but sometimes terminology used isn't 100% accurate or consistent.
What sciencelady said. That's the way a real drop sets is described on bodybuilding. I have Amy Drops sets. I will doing it that way once I got into it next month. You have to reach failure, don't stop and grab the lower weigh quickly. It will be good to start with very heavy weights. Amy's Drop Sets will be my weekly total body weight routine. Body beast sound more of pyramids, but everybody call their workouts as they want.
Old 06-26-12, 01:17 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
I thought for drop sets the idea is to do a certain # of reps, then drop the weight and do the same # of reps...and so on. But in Amy's drop sets, as she drops the weight she increases the reps. This is the same as you would do a pyramid down workout like in Cathe's pyramid. What's the difference??

R.
Don't know about Cathe's. I haven't previewed drop sets yet, but when you drop the weights it is expected that you be able to complete more repetitions.
Old 06-26-12, 01:26 PM  
fit44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharaz View Post
What sciencelady said. That's the way a real drop sets is described on bodybuilding. I have Amy Drops sets. I will doing it that way once I got into it next month. You have to reach failure, don't stop and grab the lower weigh quickly. It will be good to start with very heavy weights. Amy's Drop Sets will be my weekly total body weight routine. Body beast sound more of pyramids, but everybody call their workouts as they want.
Yes, this is true. The beast drops sets are really partial pyramids. I was looking at the Beast guidebook and Sagi calls full pyramids (reps 15- 12- 8- 8- 12 -15) "progressive sets". Never heard this term before. I love Sagi though!
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drop sets, pyramid, reverse pyramid