Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-12, 09:13 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I have the FT60 and I love it! It's pretty much your personal trainer.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 09:17 AM  
desderata

I've had the F6 for about 4 years and really like it (except for the color, which is the ugliest pink I've ever seen).
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 09:56 AM  
ssgilby

I recently got an FT7, and so far, so good. It's pretty basic, but I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. It times a workout, monitors heart rate, gives calories burns, and assesses the workout time spent in both the "fatburning" and "fitness" zones. Heart rate can be shown as either actual BPMs or as a percentage of max. I am able to scroll through the screens during my workout to see whatever I wish to see - calories burned, elapsed time, etc. It saves, I believe, up to 90 workouts, so I can look back at previous workouts. If I want to upload my workouts to Polar's website, I would need a separate piece of equipment (I think it is called a Flowlink), but I believe that's the case with all Polar HRMs.

The strap and the watch are both comfortable. I find the buttons are responsive and the display is easy to read. It's easy to use. I bought some electrode gel with it, and I use that instead of wetting the sensors with water before I put it on. (I read some reviews that said the gel is better and conducting the signal than water, especially with someone like me who doesn't usually sweat profusely enough to keep the sensors moist.)

Proper maintenance is essential to maintaining the life of the HRM. I wash the strap under running water after each use, and wash it in the washing machine once a week (I put it in a lingerie bag, and I don't use fabric softener). I don't attach the transmitter to the strap until right when I start a workout, and I make sure to unsnap the transmitter from the strap right after I'm done. The less time the transmitter is attached, the less battery power is used.

My previous HRM was a Polar F11, which disappeared about 3 years ago. That one was bit fancier. The feature it had that I really liked was called, I belive, "Own Zone." You could test your resting heart rate so that the HRM had a more personal starting point, and I think it was then able to make more accurate assessments in terms of max HR, calories burned, etc. The FT7 just monitors your heart rate for a few moments at the beginning of a workout and then determines your settings. I notice depending on what I've been doing just prior to a workout affects the baseline it sets for the workout. If I've been up and active for awhile (and have had some caffeine) it seems like it sets my "baseline" higher than when I start a workout immediately after getting out of bed.

I would never say it is 100% accurate, but it serves as way to gauge your workouts. I notice that in order to stay in "fatburning" mode, I have to work out really, really lightly - like doing Leslie "as is" without a much effort. I find that kind of odd, but it doesn't concern me much. I would rather be in "fitness" mode since one burns more calories overall working at a higher intensity, and if in order to just burn fat I have to barely move (but do it for hours in order to get the same number of calories burned), I'd rather just go for the overall calorie burn.

All in all, although it's only been a week or so, I like the FT7 and have not had any problems with it. I used my F11 for several months without any problems. I was bummed when it disappeared!

Probably TMI, but I hope it was helpful!
Old 05-22-12, 12:10 PM  
caligurl

hmmmmm..... looks like for the most part the FT7 isn't very popular although a couple of you do like it...

the FT60 looks good.... i was hoping to buy it at REI using my member 20% off... but if i choose the 60 i'll have to buy it elsewhere as REI doesn't sell it... i don't like the white color of the FT40... they do have the ft80 but only the men's version....

i'm replacing and F11 that i've had for years.... technically there's nothing wrong with the HRM itself... but i do need a new strap... it gives me problems on occasion and i'm not sure if i need new batteries in it or need to soap wash it every single day? i rinse it every day and wash it in a lingerie bag on the weekends (and i know the new polars will be using the same strap)

and of course... part of me is just bored with it (shhhhhhhhhhh don't tell hubby!) and of course, as stated above...the coupon inspired me... i have to spend my coupon on something!!!!!
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 02:11 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

When I first got the FT7 I hated the strap because it felt so tight. I didn't realize it was different from the F6 when I ordered it. But I think the tight strap is the reason why this one never cuts out on me like the others always did when I would go to the floor for push ups or planks. This one gives me no trouble at all.

And, on my birthday, I was pleasantly surprised to see the image of a birthday cake on the watch face. That was different.

Shelley, that was a great explanation about the FT7. So detailed!
Old 05-22-12, 02:19 PM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
When I first got the FT7 I hated the strap because it felt so tight. I didn't realize it was different from the F6 when I ordered it. But I think the tight strap is the reason why this one never cuts out on me like the others always did when I would go to the floor for push ups or planks. This one gives me no trouble at all.

And, on my birthday, I was pleasantly surprised to see the image of a birthday cake on the watch face. That was different.

Shelley, that was a great explanation about the FT7. So detailed!

i used to have that problem with planks/push ups with my old HRM that had the hard strap! sooooo annoying!

shelley did give a great explanation of the ft7!
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
Old 05-22-12, 03:08 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I have the FT40 in green. Have had it for several years. Tried several Polar models before this one (actually have several other models still) but this is my go to version. It does everything I want it to do and is very user friendly.
Old 05-22-12, 03:12 PM  
caligurl

those of you with the ft40/ft60.... do you have that flowlink uploading contraption? or just use it like any other polar HRM without uploading it?

i haven't uploaded my stuff for all the years i've been working out (well... except for bike stuff cuz i like seeing the little map on garmin's site of where' i've ridden! )

is it worth getting the upload thingy or is it more of a gimmick?

editted to add:
OH.... just was looking at the flow thing and it works with the f7, too... so do you's all use it too?
Old 05-22-12, 06:52 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I don't use the flowlink because I can barely use the monitor. I'm not real good with gadgets.
Old 05-22-12, 07:18 PM  
Sharaz

I have the Flowlink and find it very useful. Is not a gimmick. You connect it to your PC, put the watch on the top, then the polar screen opens on the PC. When you open all the data (calories/workout durations/ave HR/max HR is there) I just put the name of the workout eg. Providence. You add all kind of "sports" Cardio/weights/barre/KB/circuit/etc) When I do a rotation I set the program as a sport eg. Insanity. My data shows that I burned double in calories from Insanity than Rushfit.

I don't have time to analyze workout data or rotations to much and this is perfect for me. I go by weekly calories burned. This tool helped me to find my break even point in terms of calories that I need to burn in order to maintain certain weigh, taking in consideration no change on diet. When I want to drop, I workout on a high calorie burn schedule. You can add friends and see their diary (I have my SO and sister and can check what they are doing since we don't train together)

I think is worth it.

Tags
heart rate monitor, heart rate monitors, heartrate monitor, hrm, polar