Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-15-11, 01:26 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Anyone not like the Reinhardt Kettlebell System?

It's been a while since I've focused on kettlebell workouts. Over a year or two. And, I think I need some new motivation.

My concern is the lack of instruction in these. And, the celebrity factor.

I have plenty of kettlebell dvds, mostly AOS, but also Lauren Brooks, Steven Cotter, Keith Webber, Andrea DuCane, Angie Miller, Amy Bento, Sarah Lurie.

I've tried to read the HUGE Reinhardt thread, but I'd prefer a condensed version, please.

Anyone purchase and not happy with the program, and why?

Thanks in advance!

Pam

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 01:36 PM  
Eibhinn

I haven't bought RKS, but I've been keeping an eye on the discussion here and there, partly to see what negatives come up (I am also concerned about the celebrity workout factor, for one thing). I recently noticed a couple people mentioning injuries related to RKS beyond hands getting ripped up doing snatches. That always gets me listening closely. Hopefully people who actually have the set will comment - and hopefully this doesn't just become another RKS is awesome thread - I hate when disenabling threads get derailed that way.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 01:39 PM  
caligurl

not too many. here's a previous thread on the same subject

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=167696
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 01:41 PM  
pixie9

I would also like to hear if anyone doesn't like it. I ordered it (Amazon), just got it yesterday and am extremely impressed with the packaging, but I'm doing an S90 rotation for a month and won't add this in until then. If I understand correctly, you end up repeating (and repeating and repeating...) the same exercises for 15 minutes? Sounds like it could get really boring. And possibly set you up for some overuse injuries. But mostly that sounds boring to me.

ETA: After reading caligurl's link, it sounds like there may be enough variety to keep me interested! Yay!

Last edited by pixie9; 07-15-11 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Link
pixie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 01:56 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie9 View Post
If I understand correctly, you end up repeating (and repeating and repeating...) the same exercises for 15 minutes? Sounds like it could get really boring. And possibly set you up for some overuse injuries. But mostly that sounds boring to me.
Pixie - the repetition factor is addressed in the other thread that cali linked to. Not all the workouts repeat the same exercises.

Some people like the repetition, because following the DVD helps them to push through, compared with doing swings (or whatever) on their own.
Old 07-15-11, 03:27 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Thank you for the link, Caligurl!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 03:46 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I'm just starting with this system.

The hard book packaging, like Insanity, is really nice. As far as materials go, there isn't any. The very basic rotation was created and posted on Owen's blog transpired because people kept asking how to use these DVDs.

All the workouts are supposed to clock in at around 30 minutes. Workout #1 clocked in at 20 minutes, and workout #2 clocked in a little over 16 minutes.

I repeated both workouts this week and this is how I'm planning on doing all the DVDs. I'm also doing these as my second workout of the day. I really want to get a feel for this set, mainly because there is so much hype over a set that is essentially a very basic set. $140.00 (10% off now) is a lot of money. Is this set worth it? I'm not sure. For me, this set was gifted to me, and like I said, I'm going to give this set a fair shot. This may sound silly, but I really like the instructor's voice.

It's been ages since I've done a kettlebell workout to a DVD. Both workouts were good. The swings workout is supposed to be more challenging than workout #2. Workout #2 is meant to be "just get the blood flowing" type of workout, and that's exactly what it felt like to me.

Next week I'll be doing workouts #3 and #4. I believe these are longer.

As far as instruction goes, the Skogg instructional DVD is by far the better of the two. The Skogg instructional DVD is fantastic.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 04:34 PM  
icebergslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
As far as instruction goes, the Skogg instructional DVD is by far the better of the two. The Skogg instructional DVD is fantastic.
ITA!! I am using RKS as add ons a few times through the week, since I am doing my own 10K swing challenge.
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 05:23 PM  
momofcha

I really don't get the celebrity factor on this? I realize he's an actor, but I've never heard of him before & frankly bought it for the variety. As for injuries - I wouldn't call ripped palms from snatches an injury because of this set.

I won't say anything else since this is supposed to be a dis-abling set.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 05:24 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

I am giving RKS another chance after seeing Rozy's and shammy902/Sue's results . I plan to finish the rotation as designed and see my results after that.
So far, I've done #1-7 and the last one with snatches. There are discs I like more than the others. For example, I was slightly bored with #7 but I did it.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doug reinhardt, kettlebell, reinhardt, reinhardt kb system, rks, skogg system