Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 06-11-11, 04:01 PM  
kalliope999

Can two people share a heart rate monitor?

I've done a search on HRMs, but can't seem to find this issue addressed. My husband and I are interested in getting a heart rate monitor, but then it occurred to me that we may not be able to both use the same one if only one profile (age, weight, gender, etc) can be stored. Does anyone know the answer to this?

I'm assuming it might be nice to each have our own chest strap, but as for the device itself -- can we share it easily?

We're interested in either the Polar FT4 or FT7 at the moment, if it's relevant.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-11, 08:49 PM  
Christine L.
VF Supporter

I don't see why not. I have the Polar FT4 and have let my husband use it on a few occasions. The chest strap is machine washable, so we even share that.
Christine L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-11, 01:41 PM  
edensmom

Mine only allows one profile to be stored.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-11, 04:56 AM  
kalliope999

Hi edensmom - That's what I was afraid of. I guess we'll have to get two!

Christine - I'm guessing that you and your husband share the same profile then. The reason I'm hesitant to do that is because we really want the calories burned estimates, and those depend on your stats to be calculated correctly (gender, age, weight...) If we just wanted the heart rate part, we'd share as you do.

thanks!
Old 09-06-11, 02:32 PM  
Sunshine

Wink

The one I have which cost over $100 has multiple settings, so you could just change the setting each time a different user is using it. Only thing is, you'd just have to know which date and which time is which person... If you always work out in the afternoon, and he works out in the morning, you would know which workouts belong to whom. It would be tougher to figure out cumulative workouts, or if you immediately write down your stats, you can combine them that way. I have a notebook where I always write down my stats for the past 10 years.

Last edited by Sunshine; 09-06-11 at 02:33 PM. Reason: sig is old
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heart rate monitor, heart rate monitors, hrm