Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-11-21, 08:43 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pat, glad your covid test went smoothly. I only have had to have one test, part of pool testing when I was working in-office last fall. That was a salvia test (cheek), so definitely not as bad as the giant Q-tip thing!

Sandra, great deal on the boots! You'll have to let us know how you like them.

Pam, sounds like a nice active rest day for you.

Paine, LOL that I made you get that DVD & I no longer have it! I'm finding that I like the yin offerings on YouTube better than the DVDs I tried, probably due to the variety.

Okay, friends, I have a problem - dead butt syndrome!!!
Seriously, I have noticed that after sitting all day for work the right side of my butt (lower edge of the pelvis on the back right side) feels sore and uncomfortable. This article describes it pretty well:
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/n...butt-syndrome/

I don't think it is sciatica because it doesn't go down my leg. I know the best thing to do is to sit less, and I can try to move more, but I have to sit for therapy, so I don't have a choice for much of my day. I have tried to shift how I am sitting, although that hasn't seemed to help much. Right now I am sitting on my Firm balance disk, which is better for my butt but is making my lower back ache!

I'm going to try to incorporate more side-lying hip/glute exercises. Any other suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else?

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-21, 10:02 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Unplugged #1923
Bendy Body (Stretching the Legs and Hips practice)

The Bendy Body practice I did today gives the best hamstring, adductor and hip stretch.

Sandra, those are nice hiking boots. You got a bargain on them!
I didn't even know about Amazon Warehouse. I will have to check it out.
My phone counts steps for me so that's what I've been using when I'm curious about my step counts.

Pat, enjoy your visit with your niece!
I'm glad your covid test wasn't too uncomfortable.

Beth, I'm really glad I have the Donna Helm-Yost DVD because I like it a lot! I also have been enjoying some of the Yin Yoga practices on YouTube.
Egads, you don't want permanent butt pain, trust me. I highly recommend you buy a good seat cushion with a coccyx cut-out and use it at work and when you drive, in fact just use it all the time until your pain resolves. There are many types, this one is a good example:
https://relaxtheback.com/products/co...it-car-cushion
Try several seat cushions out to find the one that is most comfortable to you.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-21, 10:11 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, thanks for the feedback. I actually have a seat cushion very similar to the one you posted. I sometimes use it, but it tends to feel weird to me. I don't know if I need the "hole" for my tailbone since I don't have any pain in that area. The discomfort is really on one side only, seemingly from having to much pressure on that side - I feel like I need a one-sided cushion!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 05-11-21, 11:43 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beth, the best seat cushion for you is the one that feels most comfortable. I know a few people that love gel seat cushions but they were never comfortable to me so let comfort be your guide.
Old 05-11-21, 05:28 PM  
cyana

Monday:
100 stability ball crunches (two 50 rep sets at different times)
Live Lee Holden qi gong streaming class

Today:
20 minutes of meditation first thing (working on my positive affirmations)
mindfulness training at work
Physical Activity - TBD (just logged off the work computer)

Sandra - I like your boots. I have some that are a similar style. Songs In the Key of Life - that's another true classic! I don't know if you've watched any of the Kennedy Center Honors programs (I find them on YT) - the artists did songs from that album when they honored Steve Wonder. Lady Gaga did a really good job with I Wish (is there anything she can't sing???).

Beth - I often wonder whether my long hours at the desk have contributed to my hip pain. I'm also 100% certain that I put more weight on my right side while sitting. I'm always cobbling together various combos of pads, blankets, etc., to try to change the pressure points. I'm finding the hand massager and percussion tool to be helpful with temporarily reducing discomfort. I can't get the height right to use a stability ball as a chair with my current desk, but definitely need to try to stand more often. Remind us when it's closer to your yin class and I'll see if I can participate this time around.

Pat - I'm glad you didn't end up with a brain biopsy! Is Cloak and Wand anything like this: https://www.enchantedofsalem.com ?

Pam - I haven't worn Reeboks in years, but they used to fit my feet well. It seems they're heavily into the CrossFit type shoes these days. I've more recently worn Asics and currently have a pair of Asics and Brooks.

Garrie - GHAS and Gilad's Men's Arms of Steel are two of my favorite classic upper body work-outs.

Paine - I'm still searching for that holy grail of the seat cushions, myself, despite having made a major investment into my desk chair. I need to go ahead and retire so I don't have to spend the day at a desk.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-21, 06:19 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

cyana, funny you mention about the more weight on the one side. As I was driving to yoga tonight (driving doesn't bother me like sitting in chair), I was thinking that since I am right handed and use the mouse on the right, I probably lean more to that side! I think "pressure points" is the exact way to describe it. Like you, I have tried a combo of padding but can't get it quite right. When I tried a stability ball at work several years back, I got the same back pain that I felt on the Firm balance disk today, so I don't think that's quite right for me. On the other hand, the roundness of the balance disk was fairly comfortable, so maybe I need a round cushion?

I did try to stand more when I could or even kneel/lunge - if I am not seeing clients, I can exactly use the keyboard that way, so at least it serves as break. I spent some time standing on the balance disk, too!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 05-12-21, 07:50 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning all! Yesterday featured:

~ Office movement challenge - squats and triceps
~ Yoga Booty Ballet Light & Easy
~ Bridges, clamshells and leg lifts with hip circle bands
~ 7,000 steps.

I needed cardio but didn't want to put on sneakers and YBB called out to me. I haven't done a YBB in so long. It was so much fun.

Disappointed the osprey cam is still offline though - those kids are going to be in college soon!

Beth, I feel your pain with the dead butt syndrome. Mine has gone dormant from the desk job, too. Most of my PT is geared toward strengthening it up. I use this Mark Bell Sling Shot hip circle and I'm supposed to be doing step-ups every day. I haven't tried Caroline Jordan but have been hearing some positive things about her workouts - here are some loop circle and glute activation workouts:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...rdan+loop+band

Cyana, how was your live class with Lee? Brain biopsy, LOL! The Cloak & Wand was a disappointment, it was mostly Harry Potter themed. There was a new age store we loved, though - crystals, tarot cards, wonderful smells.

Paine - good job getting your strength workout accomplished.

Good morning to Pam, Sandra, and anyone who visits today.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-21, 07:58 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pat, thanks for the links! I actually have a thick band like that; I need to use it more!

Just checked the osprey cam again; it still does not seem to be working.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 05-12-21, 09:17 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Unplugged #1924

Cyana, do you have an adjustable standing desk? My daughter has an adjustable standing desk for her job.

Pat, I don't know if this is possible but I'm wondering if all the traffic at the Osprey cam has caused it to crash.
Old 05-12-21, 10:57 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Yesterday.....
~Taught Essentrics on zoom
~Neighborhood walk

Pat - YBB are such feel good workouts! I’m glad your COVID test wasn’t too bad. It is too bad about the osprey cam! I hope they get it going again.

Beth - Oh “dead butt syndrome” sounds quite unpleasant! I can see how sitting is the culprit. I don’t do well sitting for long periods & I’m like a creaky old lady when I get out of the car after a long drive. If you’re looking for more side lying leg & glute work I immediately think of Essentrics floor work. I have a similar band to what Pat posted & I've used it with some of the Barre3 glute work. The other thing that I find works the glutes well are gliding discs. I’ve also used them with B3.

Cyana - I have a narrow heel & I find the Reeboks I’m wearing right now fit my heel quite nicely. DS1 got DH & I a very nice discount through his CrossFit instructor. DH chose cross trainers & DS has fancy ones, lol. I’m not a fan, I find them too flat & prefer the lightness of a runner.

Back later to post my workouts....

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote