Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-10-21, 11:44 PM  
bex

Last night I started easing myself back Caroline with her Kickass Kettlebells Day 2 - Complexes.

It took me a while to get into it, because it's not structured like most of the KB flows that I usually enjoy. But I enjoyed some of her twists on the moves, like staggered swings. Challenging! I'll try it again when I'm in a better mood.

Afterwards I tried Lauren Eckstrom's 20 Min Slow Flow, which definitely wasn't one I'll do again. It wasn't slow, I actually found she moved quite quickly between poses. It just wasn't power yoga.

I think it would be good for people who like 'dancy' workouts. Which is totally not me. It might be the first time I've just Joni-O'd a yoga practice after 12 mins, and just finished with my own freestyle floor stretches.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-21, 08:03 AM  
buffmama

EPIC II Day 29 Upper Body Complexes. I used 15-8lbs, mostly 10s. I almost face planted towards the end where she put the Renegade rows. I skipped a few bicep curls in favor of rows - especially important I thought given the lighter weight. Followed with upper body yin yoga - sphynx pose was torture!

bex - I have definitely Joni-O'd yoga practices. Most of the time I just 'veer off the tracks' but sometimes even that doesn't fix the problem.
Old 05-11-21, 12:02 PM  
IceQueen07

Yesterday and today were HR's May rotation. Today was lower body and I added in Caroline's lower body from the beginner EPIC. I missed Caroline's workouts, there is just something about them. This one was only bodyweight. I may try and incorporate both for a bit and see how it goes. I think I will start Epic II soon as my body seems to respond better to the weight training with heavier weights.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-21, 07:22 AM  
buffmama

EPIC II Day 26 Cardio HIIT with DB. Warmed up with Jenny Ford's Hawaii Step on youtube 9 min and skipped the cool down. The step workout is pieced together from a longer workout.
Old 05-12-21, 10:52 PM  
bex

Yesterday I tried Tonique 2.2, which I think she calls Cardio Sculpt. It's well-named, as I found it really intense cardio with lots of jumping and lots of lunges. I took a short sweat/water pause between each section, and went at my own pace, but found it very do-able. The sculpt part is ultra high-rep arm moves, which burned even using 1 lb weights.

It wasn't as immediately fun as Tonique 2.1, but I'll definitely do it again.

Although a lot of moves use the core, I felt like trying an add-on so I went with Adam Ford's Swiss Ball Abs & Core Workout Phase 1 (also available on YT). I've had the this for ages, and finally just felt like trying it out.

Phase 1 was definitely beginner as far as demands on the core, although it does take a special focus to maintain balance on some of the of the moves.

I'm not sure it's worth learning that when there are so many other Bosu exercises that target the core the same way but don't carry the risk of falling over into an undignified heap. We'll see.

buffmama - I've Joni-O'ed yoga practices within the first 3 minutes because it just didn't match what I wanted.
But usually once I've started, I'll finish. I think the ability to say, nope, not for me, is actually a sign of my growth.
Old 05-13-21, 04:36 AM  
IceQueen07

This morning I just didn't want to do HR Tabata workout which was on schedule so I did CG's Day 2 beginner EPIC - Upper Body Bodyweight. I forgot how much that fried my arms without any weights. I have decided to start EPIC II starting Monday. I think I am just burned out on Heather and I really want to go back to using weights and Heather just doesn't have enough in May's calendar. But, who knows come Monday, may change my mind again. LOL

**Candice**
Old 05-13-21, 07:44 AM  
buffmama

EPIC II Day 27 Front Delts and Abs. I don't like the isolated work on muscles that are either small or usually overworked ie. bi, tri, quads but I do like it on back and glutes/hamstrings. It seems like EPIC II has more of this (I could be wrong.) I do like the complexes used more in EPIC II but don't like the increased use of one pair of DBs - sometimes nothing gets hit at the right weight. (Although I use different weights.) Today I missed form pointers and started kneeling for some of the shoulder work. So going forward I combine I and II or sub for the individual workouts I'd rather not do. As always not sure what I would do the second time round. I will be doing HEAT next. Maybe I'll start by writing out the rotations and seeing how they correlate on paper.
Old 05-14-21, 07:26 AM  
buffmama

EPIC II Day 28 Squats for the Glutes (and hip thrusts). I used 30-40lbs. Definitely a burner. I did bridges instead of hip thrusts as they bother my back. I also used a band. Amazingly my back was still OK at the end so I must have been doing something correctly.
Old 05-14-21, 09:34 AM  
IceQueen07

This morning I did a new Heather one, Back and Triceps - not a bad workout, short (30ish minutes). Next time will have to go up in weight.

My plan is to still start EPIC II on Monday, so will have to see how I do with that.

**Candice**
Old 05-14-21, 11:09 PM  
bex

On Thursday I was tired but just wanted to do something, so I tried a short Fightmaster yoga practice, Fun-loving Full Body Yoga Stretch. I just discovered her channel and I read on VF that some people don't click with her vocal style. I like it, I find her soothing and encouraging. I think this practice would be more useful as an add-on when my muscles are warm than as a stand-alone.

This weekend I'm away from home - first time in over a year staying in a hotel! The gym is pretty basic, but thanks to IceQueen, I thought of doing Caroline's Beginner EPIC Day 2, which doesn't use any weights and will ease me back into doing her upper body work. Then I followed it with Caroline's 20 Min Solid Arms and Shoulder Workout. Because I had already done the Beginner EPIC, I was happy enough to use 2.5 kg dumbbells for all the arm sets, and 5kg for the back.

Tags
calisthenics, caroline girvan, epic, growingannanas, heather robertson, mrandmrsmuscle