Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-05-21, 05:27 AM  
DCW

I am thinking of scheduling bulk trash pickup every other month. We did move things around and got rid of some stuff.

Now I see more unwanted stuff. On a whim I scheduled a pickup. Now I think this might be the tool to help me declutter.

We have eating the elephant one bite at a time.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 03:51 PM  
Vantreesta

I told hubby I would probably find more than the 5 pairs of shoes ready to donate so I was surprised when he went ahead and took those in today. He probably had one or two thoughts: get these out of here before she changes her mind and I don't believe she'll let go of anymore! I found 2 more pair today.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 04:05 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post

We have eating the elephant one bite at a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
.... He probably had one or two thoughts: get these out of here before she changes her mind and I don't believe she'll let go of anymore! I found 2 more pair today.
+1 and +2

Thanks ladies for the giggles

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-21, 06:09 AM  
DCW

I don't know when I heard that saying,
"Even an elephant can be eaten one bite at a time."

That's how I see my decluttering, it's elephant size! Y'all have encouraged me to take it one bite at a time.

So I have started and made some great moves. Drawers cleaned out and closets done.

Today's goal is get donated items to the donation store and clean out the trunk of my car. I also plan to deliver gifts.
Old 05-08-21, 12:59 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
Looking for a pair of dress shoes, I found a brand new pair that I bought end of 2019 or Jan. 2020. I needed a new pair to leave at work. I found out I can still walk in heels, AMAZING!!!!
it's great to go shopping in your own closet!

my decluttering has also helped "find" things i haven't seen in a while.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-21, 08:01 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

We are hosting a Mother's Day celebration tomorrow, which meant we had to get cleaned up. The family room is finally in decent shape. We bought one of those small mobile carts to put paperwork and other things in that we have, but aren't ready to deal with yet. I'm hoping that it will help keep the furniture in the room decluttered. We'll see.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-21, 09:30 AM  
DCW

Y'all have motivated me to downsize my party high heel shoes. I need one pair no more. May they dance the night away on someone else.
Old 05-10-21, 11:40 AM  
BunnyHop

My revived sewing hobby has helped me turn a bunch of old blue jeans into four patch quilt squares, and that into fabric for an apron. Whee!!

I'd been wanting to stop wearing those old worn out pants, but somehow just having them was reason enough to keep them in rotation. I got the idea to trim the fabric into strips of usable size and make patchwork fabric.

I'm using this pattern for a criss cross double sided apron.

Making the patchwork fabric was fairly simple, I just cut the seams, pockets and waistband off the jeans, then cut the resulting fabric into strips 5 inches wide and whatever lengths I could get. Since I had so many pairs of jeans, I had light, medium and dark colors to work with. I stitched two strips together, ironed the seams open, then trimmed the edges straight, cut those in two, flipped them so the colors contrasted and stitched it back together. I wound up with a bunch of four patch bits of varying sizes, and stitched those together to make the fabric once I'd squared up the corners.

In a visual sense, I used colors that gave good contrast for each set of four patches.

I'm not sure I'd have done this specific project if the denim I had were not so light weight. As it is, it's easy to cut, easy to sew, etc.

They were all those old White Stag denim pants with an elastic waist that cost maybe 8 dollars at Walmart. Makes me feel so frugal. All it's cost is the price of the pattern and the thread from my stash.

Just thought I'd share because I've had so much fun with this project and this group inspired me to get creative. Thanks!
Old 05-10-21, 07:51 PM  
Vantreesta

Anna, what a great idea! I bet it will look so cool when it's finished!

I only found one more pair of shoes to donate, a too-small pair of sandals. I went through my boots but can't part with any.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-21, 08:36 PM  
fanofladyvols

Anna I'd love to see a pic! It sounds beautiful!!
Maybe you could post in your profile?

Vantreesta boots and old Birkenstocks are impossible for me to purge.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career advice, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, sentimental clutter