Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-19, 05:22 PM  
daisyduke

What have your results been when you lesson intensity? T

Two rounds of p90x has sucked the life out of me. I got a little slimmer but I will always been short and stocky. I’ll never got long, tall lean muscles. At this point I’d like to just do some workouts to maintain general fitness.

I have done yoga for the past few days and notice I have more energy to do things around the house and just move around a bit more because I’m not so drained from my workout. I also notice I’m not as hungry.

Has anyone dialed back the intensity and been happy with their results? Thank you!
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-19, 06:19 PM  
dmlarue1

Smile

Yes. I was doing hamelin 1 hour workouts daily...and his workouts always made me sore because he has a gazillion reps.

I started doing the balanced life pilates 30 minutes or less a day, plus because I wasnt so tired and achey I was eating less. I started eating more of the recipes on the balance life which are no gluten, no white sugar. I lost 37 pounds that had not budged when I was doing hamelins workouts. Plus my body feels less beat up
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-19, 06:38 PM  
bjones

Well I feel so much better doing lighter workouts and am less hungry. That said, I've gained weight and look very "soft" as opposed to "toned." I'm 62 so I'm willing to take the trade-off. I got tired of feeling beat up every day with DOMS constantly.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-19, 07:53 PM  
daisyduke

Thank you for the replies - sorry about the misspelling in the title - it should be lessen and also no T!!!
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-19, 09:55 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Ra-roh! I just started a P90X rotation this week. I never did it back in the day and I really enjoyed it this week, but I can see how it might lead to a bit of "too much" for me, too. I wonder if taking a couple of days in between the weeks to just walk or whatever might help -- any thoughts daisyduke?
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-19, 06:24 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlarue1 View Post
Yes. I was doing hamelin 1 hour workouts daily...and his workouts always made me sore because he has a gazillion reps.

I started doing the balanced life pilates 30 minutes or less a day, plus because I wasnt so tired and achey I was eating less. I started eating more of the recipes on the balance life which are no gluten, no white sugar. I lost 37 pounds that had not budged when I was doing hamelins workouts. Plus my body feels less beat up
Congrats on finding the right answer. I wish I know what mine is...😏
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-19, 07:17 AM  
Tugger31

For anyone it depends on what you mean by "results" and what your goals are. What I currently find important is staying "fit" as I age while maintaining/even gaining strength and improving flexibility. For me doing, less intense workouts can achieve this. "Less intense" for me meant incorporating more Jessica Smith and yoga and doing less Cathe RWH. However, my strength has been declining, my muscles haven't felt as firm. I am now incorporating more Cathe strength as I feel I can go a bit heavier and I am seeing "results" with that. It's all about having goals and tweaking as you go along. Rewind 10 years and my goal was to run a 5K faster so the workouts I am doing now would not having given me "results".
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-19, 12:53 PM  
Julia

For me I would say it depends on the style of working out. There is hardcore Pilates, athletic yoga practices, heavy weight, hiit, killer barre, and more and then there are lighter forms of working out that don’t get results, lighter forms of working out that have gotten better results for me and heavier workouts that are counterproductive. The best results aesthetically for me has been working with the Pilates reformer..traditional exercises, not a lot of effort but the payoff was extraordinary, next would be Callanetics also kundalini yoga and Essentrics added into whatever strength program I’m working with, strength is always better for me with bands at less effort than weights. TA has gotten me equal results to the best above but the exertion is not worth the effort as many of her exercises are done on hands and knees. It’s all about experimenting to find what’s right for you.
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-19, 01:37 PM  
BunnyHop

I have had some success recently after years of struggling to figure out what to do.

At the moment, walking on a treadmill for about 30 minutes a day (with a rest day about once a week) and gentle yoga fairly often (not every day) seems to be just what I need.

I'd been having trouble figuring out what on earth to do because I kept winding up with minor problems that could have turned more serious if I'd kept trying to push through the discomfort.
For example, my shoulders were bothering me, so I remembered that in the CS pain relief workouts, they remind you to work within the limits of whatever you can do that does not hurt. Movement is the key, not necessarily intensity.

After some time getting exercise in ways that don't hurt at all, I've built up some strength and have increased the intensity and gradually increased my range of motion in the movements.

So much better!
Old 07-27-19, 03:12 PM  
prettyinpink

Depends on individual factors like age, body type, lifestyle (how much movement and what kinds of movement do you get outside of “workouts”), and goals.

If the goal is to be stronger, or even to maintain strength over a certain age, moving to only walking and no weight workouts is probably not going to be successful.

If the goal is mainly to lose weight, various things could work if the food is right.

If the goal is long lean muscles, well, maybe look at redefining the goal. I can’t believe in this day and age that fitness methods still get away with promising silly things like that.

My focus in my forties is about 30-40/60-70 aesthetics vs healthy aging, meaning maintaining strength, maintaining or growing bone, doing good things for my heart and vessels, keeping balance and staying functional. When I back off on intense workouts for more than a couple of weeks, my cardio capacity and strength decrease somewhat. Though what is intense for me wouldn’t be for a twenty year old male, lol, so it’s relative. And intense doesn’t mean pushing well past my limit or regularly injuring myself. I have done intense rotations where I take more rest or light days than the schedule calls for.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lower intensity workouts, yoga only