Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-17, 05:13 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

I did the Dance and Strength workout the other night. The workout alternated from a cardio segment (4-5 minutes?) to a sculpting segment. The cardio segment was the same (4X). It was a "athletic" dancy moves. It kind of felt like dynamic stretching at times to me too. The 4 sculpting segments were different. They were maining compound moves. If you look at the promo page for this dvd, the moves were very similar. It was an enjoyable workout. I'll probably do another this weekend. The other workouts are a strength workout and the cardio workout. There's also a 10 minute abs (which looks solid) and a 10 minute yoga (looks like a nice stretching/yoga) routine.

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-17, 08:14 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

I decided to the Strength/toning workout tonight. She packs a lot in 30 minutes.
She starts with a thorough squat set. Then she moves to lunges (not as long).The
next series of exercises is upper body...more emphasis on shoulders and biceps, but
she hits everything if I remember correctly. A short ab section at the end.

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-17, 08:51 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Julie! It sounds pretty good!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-17, 01:07 AM  
Crescent Moon
VF Supporter

I have only had a chance to preview the main disk with the dance, circuit, and strength workouts. All three of the workouts look good. While the dance workout looks like it would be lots of sweaty fun, I doubt it will get much play by me as I mostly stick to my rower or treadmill for cardio. The strength workouts are what intrigued me, and I am not disappointed on preview. They both look as though they could be pretty challenging. Both cover all muscle groups in 30 minutes. For sure, the pure strength workout will also have a cardio effect on me.

Selena Watkins does a good job as the lead. I really like her as a presenter. She does "whoo" occasionally, and she likes to use the phrase "drop it like it's hot." A couple of times she uses the term "bad ass." None of these things annoy me, but they might be bothersome to others.

The music is pretty good. There is some techno and some Caribbean type music. I'm not very good at describing music, but it had a good beat and went well with the workouts. I wish it were a little louder or there had been a music louder option included. I previewed on a laptop with lousy speakers, so maybe the sound will improve coming through a sound bar.

I will report more when I have done the workouts.
Crescent Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-17, 03:36 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Noel, it is very helpful. I'm so glad to hear the music is good, great! I hope you'll have a blast with the workouts, can't wait to hear your thoughts after you try them as well!!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-17, 06:29 AM  
horsemom2

I use power speakers from long gone PCs on my laptops.

2 different tricks that sometimes work when the voice is too loud or has too much *whooing*.

(1) Turning down the balance of the right speaker
(or may be the left on other setups)

(2) using the speaker enhancement option for voice cancellation

(worse comes to worse, I replace the audio altogether LOL)

right click on the speaker icon lower right corner to go to volume mixer then click on the speaker icon
levels then balance for (1)

enhancements for (2)

ETA: I am still on the fence with these
since I do not do planks or any down-on-the-mat moves

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-17, 01:12 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

From the video clips I've seen, it looks like this workout might be doable for the dance impaired (like me, I can't even wiggle my hips good, do chest pops or anything except maybe a mambo cha cha.) Is that the case?

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-17, 01:35 PM  
Crescent Moon
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
I use power speakers from long gone PCs on my laptops.

2 different tricks that sometimes work when the voice is too loud or has too much *whooing*.

(1) Turning down the balance of the right speaker
(or may be the left on other setups)

(2) using the speaker enhancement option for voice cancellation

(worse comes to worse, I replace the audio altogether LOL)

right click on the speaker icon lower right corner to go to volume mixer then click on the speaker icon
levels then balance for (1)

enhancements for (2)

ETA: I am still on the fence with these
since I do not do planks or any down-on-the-mat moves

Barb S
Barb, thanks for the tips! I did play with the settings and it did seem to help.
Old 02-25-17, 01:49 PM  
Crescent Moon
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer P. View Post
From the video clips I've seen, it looks like this workout might be doable for the dance impaired (like me, I can't even wiggle my hips good, do chest pops or anything except maybe a mambo cha cha.) Is that the case?
I don't recall any complex footwork, but there is quite a bit of hip rotation. She does chest pops too. While I was previewing I never thought to myself, "I could never do that." I'm no dancer and wouldn't want an audience, but I think this would be doable and a lot of fun to learn. Selena and her background girls all put a different spin stylistically on the moves and it looks like they're having a good time.
Old 09-20-17, 03:14 PM  
kettlebell

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this DVD. Is it worth getting?
kettlebell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dance cardio, high intensity, selena watkins, soca dance, women's health