Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-02-14, 04:22 PM  
beospenser

Please tell me about Body Beast!

Looking for something new.....I notice there aren't many threads here on this Beach Body program.

Has anyone tried this program? Please share your thoughts!
beospenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-14, 04:36 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I'm currently doing a rotation of Body Beast and love it! The leg workouts are grueling but worth the effort. Sagi's demeanor may not be for everyone though, lots of 'Beasty' talk, lol but I find it amusing. The first phase workouts are 38 -50 minutes long but the second phase workouts are 30-40 minutes long and easy to add other workouts (abs, cardio, yoga, stretching). The sale price is a steal for this program. Oh, and have the remote near by the first time thru the workouts so you can pause it if you need to because some sets go pretty fast until you know what's coming next. And it's a good idea to go to the Beach Body site and print out the workout sheets to write your weights down.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-14, 05:11 PM  
bzbnmom

I agree with everything Kathy said. I'm starting my final week tomorrow and I'm very happy with the program. Next time I do Body Beast I'll probably add on more for lower body (lower body intensive cardio/intervals/hiit). The second phase is a great place to do this because of the shorter workout times and to add some variety. I wish I had followed the nutritional guide right from the beginning; I've only been doing it for my final 3 weeks of the "cutting" phase and have lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks. I can definitely recommend Body Beast!
bzbnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-14, 05:17 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I really enjoy the Body Beast workouts - need to get back to them. It's straightforward weight training, and Sagi goes at a manageable pace and gives you enough time between sets and between exercises to set up for what's coming. His musclehead persona bothered me a lot more in previews than when I'm doing the actual workouts, and except for some juvenile taunting behavior in one of the first workouts (Build Chest maybe?) I tolerate him just fine.

The workouts only really need dumbbells. A barbell is optional but can be worked around; he uses a weights bench but you can use your step bench, or there's a backgrounder that uses a stability ball or nothing in place of the bench.

The Body Beast warmups and cooldown/stretches are pretty feeble, so you might want to add on favorites from other instructors.

I think many of the Body Beast threads weren't well tagged; try a Google search with "site:videofitness.com" and you might get more hits.
Old 11-02-14, 10:19 PM  
beospenser

I hate to ask this question, but given the programs title of "Beast" and how it's marketed....is this a program that's going to make a woman look huge or can you follow it and just get a nicely lean and defined look?
beospenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-14, 08:47 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

There are two rotations - Huge Beast and Lean Beast. Lean Beast adds in a little cardio and Huge Beast is all weights (I believe, I only do Lean Beast with extra cardio). That being said, alot of women have added in extra cardio to lose body fat. Someone asked Sagi what he recommended to do first Body Beast workouts or cardio. His response was to do the Body Beast workouts first then add cardio if you want as you'll be burning fat and not glycogen because your body only stores about 20 minutes worth of glycogen.

There is a Facebook Body Beast 4 Women page that has some phenomenal success stories of women doing the program. Some of them have even gone on to compete in Figure competitions where they are extra lean and muscular. You have to have a referral now to join so if you're interested, you can use my name when you request to become part of the group (PM me for my last name).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5358...5897616423248/

Kathy
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-14, 11:17 AM  
bzbnmom

beospenser, I did the Huge Beast because I had a leg injury and couldn't do cardio at first (I have added it in now). I did not get huge and don't really think I ever could. I gained some strength and I did lean out in the core a bit because the previous 2 months I didn't workout and got a little bad with the diet. IMO there's not a big difference between the 2 rotations, mainly the one cardio workout a week. Next time I'd do the Lean Beast because I feel I need the cardio, plus I'd add some extra in.
bzbnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-14, 04:42 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beospenser View Post
I hate to ask this question, but given the programs title of "Beast" and how it's marketed....is this a program that's going to make a woman look huge or can you follow it and just get a nicely lean and defined look?
It's marketed as a mass-gaining program but I think you'd have to be a guy and follow a strict eating plan to gain a ton of muscle. No woman's going to do this program for 13 weeks and look like Sagi at the end. The Build workouts are mostly drop sets: usually three sets of an exercise, with decreasing reps and increasing weights (15, 12 and 8 reps is the standard pattern). Bulk mixes it up where you do 'progressive sets' for some exercises (lots of reps in those progressive sets - rep pattern is 15, 12, 8, 8, 12, 15), three sets of either 5 or 10 reps for other exercises, and drop sets for still more exercises. The Tempo workouts follow the 15,12, 8 pattern.

If you're the type to gain muscle easily (lucky you!) you could always cut out some of the progressive sets or lighten up your weights.

Tags
body beast, drop sets