Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-01-14, 12:36 AM  
RubyBlue

Hi and thanks- very helpful. I do a lot of these already but some new ideas there, thanks. I'll add these in. I have a P57 squishy ball, I guess that will do?

Thanks a million! Glad you found what works for you.
RubyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-14, 12:36 PM  
videofit

Floor work is pretty much all I do for my bottom thanks to Margaret Richard. (see my signature line)
Old 11-02-14, 01:00 PM  
yahoo205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
I can't do them either. Here's what works for me.

1. Leg Lifts w/ ankle weight belts. Start w/ 2 lb, progress to 3 lb. Start w/ 20 reps, progress to 36 or 40. This is lifts for outer thigh, then inner thigh, on all 4s knee to chest then straighten leg out; on all 4s one leg straight out behind you and lift and lower; on all 4s lift one leg w/ bent knee. Repeat other side.

I recommend you do the all 4s work on the bed with pillows under your knees.

2. Leg Extensions. Sit on the side of the bed, put a 3 lb weighted ball under your knee to support it. Have the 2 lb ankle weights on. SLOWLY lift and lower your leg. Start w/ 2 sets of 10. Progress to 3 sets of 10. Finally you will be able to knock off 30 at a whack. Then you move up to 3 lb ankle weights.

If you do not have the 3 lb weighted ball under your knee for support, it will pull too much on your knee and you will rapidly be in pain. The weighted ball is essential. I learned this one from a Karen Voight video.

3. Leg Crossovers. Sit on the bed (not the edge) with your legs stretched right out in front of you. Keeping legs straight, roll partially over on your L hip while crossing your R leg over the L. Repeat w/ the L leg. Do this a total of 12 times per side. This helps stretch the piriformis and IT band and is a very modified version of more difficult stretches.

4. Bridges w/ feet on a squishy ball. Still on the bed, lie on your back. Knees bent, put feet up on a squishy ball. SLOWLY lift and lower your bum. Can also do one-legged lifts w/ one ft on the ball and the other leg stretched out straight on the bed.

5. Clamshells while lying on side on bed, holding 5 lb dumbbell on the thigh of the working leg.

Hope this helps.
How many repetitions, sets do you do (particularly of the bridges and clamshells)? Do you do any extra reps or sets in general? I haven't done floor work in a while and miss it. Also, how often do you do it? Do you ever increase amount of weight?

I got great results from doing a lot of floor work (multiple sets and reps of cardio barre floor work) but it just started taking forever.

I presume you do it on the bed because it is gentler on the knees. Have you had any form issues doing that?

Videofit, which Margaret Richards do you do?
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-14, 11:40 AM  
Scorpio6

Sets, reps, weight on floorwork

Leg Lifts & Clams:
Weight: start w/ 2 lb ankle weight belts, then 3 lb, then 4 lb, then 5 lb but
no higher
Clams: start w/ 3 lb dumbbell on thigh, then 5 lb, 7 lb, 10 lb but no
higher
Reps: 2 sets of 10, 3 sets of 10, 2 sets of 12, 2 sets of 15, 1 set of 30
Then you are ready to move up to the next weight
Pacing: You can do going up quickly, 1,2, then slower coming down, 3, 4,
5, 6

Quad Lifts sitting on edge of bed, using 3 lb weighted ball under knee + ankle weight:
Weight: same weight as above for leg lifts, but no higher than 4 lb
Reps: same as above for leg lifts – be sure to do these SLOWLY – leg lifts
& Clams can be done much more quickly

Bridges w/ feet on the squishy ball:
Reps: same as for leg lifts, but do these SLOWLY
Weight: after 30 straight through is too easy, put the ankle weight belts
across your lower abdomen – if you are using The Cuff brand, since
they have long straps, you could even strap them around your lower
abdomen and seat bcse a weight plate or dumbbell is not going to
stay in place.

Form:
I don’t have any form difficulties doing these on the bed, but we have a firm bed. Also our couch is basically an upscale leather futon and it is firm. So I can listen to music in the bedroom or watch TV in the living room while doing these exercises. However, I would mention that if you have a good mat with a bit of cushioning to it, such as the mats that Bar Method sells through their online store, Bridges on the mat on the floor are a bit easier.

Stretches:
Don’t forget to stretch each body part thoroughly after doing these!!!! Use a yoga strap if you have to, but STRETCH!! I can supply stretches if you want those, but I am assuming you all probably have your favorites already that you do.

Frequency:
I get these done a minimum of 2X/wk, 3X if it’s a good week – you know what I mean.
Glad to be of help, would love to hear how you all are doing with these.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-14, 12:33 PM  
RubyBlue

I've been doing these since you posted them but with slightly heavier ankle weights, and I feel no pain at all and I really enjoy them. So thanks again! Still keeping the heavy hip thrusts too.
RubyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bands lower body, glutes, lower body, lunge-free, squat-free, strong curves