Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-14, 11:33 AM  
PrairieGem

Got a smart TV, and now I can stream! Now what?

Ok, VFers, we have entered the 21st century. We have finally upgraded to streaming capabilities in the TV room where I work out (Google TV, which I didn't even know was a thing before yesterday. LOL). Where to start? I know I'm not interested in any sort of paid subscription right now... and there is this famous VF thread on free workout sites, but the recent posts are all things from YouTube, which I'm already familiar with (have Persian Zumba queued up already! ). What else is out there?

Thanks!!
Old 07-28-14, 11:50 AM  
pattyd0319

Many smart TV's also have the ability to stream from Amazon and Netflix. Amazon has some fitness videos.

Also, you may be able to stream videos from networked PCs.
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 07:13 AM  
caitlinpyle

Check out TheGymbox. or FitnessGlo. both are great sites with lots of variety and are $10 or $12 a month, respectively. SBF from Suzanne Bowen gets two thumbs up, too

Barre, Indoor Walking, and Rebounding Lover

Favorites: Suzanne Bowen, Jessica Smith, Ellen Barrett
caitlinpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 08:40 AM  
Vee

If you like yoga, udaya, yogatoday, myyogaonline get my vote. All are around $10 per month.

Cathe has a streaming option that entitles you to access any of her past and all of her future releases.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-14, 11:59 PM  
bjones

I have a Samsung smart TV and it doesn't stream from websites, only from apps. So I have to hook my computer up to the TV most of the time. The You Tube app and in fact all the apps on this TV are quite clunky and worthless and don't work half the time. Even the Amazon app just stops working or the volume cuts out so I gave up on that one and just use my Roku player for Amazon. Just giving people a heads up. I thought I'd also be able to watch network shows but no, it won't play them , I have to play them on the laptop and hook it to the TV's HDMI in port.
Beth
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-14, 11:08 AM  
jenn38

If your a Cathe fan, CatheLive is great. She puts up a new live workout every Thursday and archives it. You can order just CatheLive for I think $10 or CatheLive plus her entire dvd library for $20.

Jessica Smith's YouTube channel is great also.
Old 07-31-14, 11:18 AM  
sunday

Getting hooked up to streaming is like learning there is a parallel universe out there that dvd-using VFers can't comprehend.

Seriously, what is NOT out there? If you want free, just go to YT and start searching!! There is tons of content!

I also signed up, for free, for https://www.booyafitness.com/. Every day of the week they offer a new workout from a boutique-type fitness place, and the type of workouts range from kickboxing and strength to floor and cardio. Seven new workouts are added each month for free, or you can subscribe if you really like their site and access everything at any time.

Have fun!!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-14, 01:01 PM  
PrairieGem

Thanks, everyone! I am totally overwhelmed and confused by the whole thing. I have realized that I am not up for the learning curve right now. LOL When I sit down to watch TV, or show up with my workout clothes on, I need everything to be ready to go. I can't think my way through a maze of menus and technology. I think I will check out some of the content online (where I am a FAR more patient browser) and then dedicate some time to figuring out how this new thing works. I mastered downloading music to my phone so I have a running playlist, though, so I am certain I will figure this out. (I should mention that I just turned 40, but evidently reached a technological standstill about 10 years ago!)

Beth, thanks for the tip about the apps. Isn't that frustrating? We just got a new washing machine, and that silly thing doesn't exactly work like you expect it to, either (and we deliberately went low-tech on that).

Tags
free, jessica smith streaming, samsung, streaming