Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-12, 03:00 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bot View Post
I noticed on collage it is broken into certain segments, can you do a 20 minute segment here and there as an add-on? Does that seem easy to do - or do you really need to do the full 90 minutes to get a workout?
You can break it into upper/lower/core segments easily.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 03:11 PM  
Sharaz

I got this from Mary's

Total Running Time:* 90 Minutes
Warm-up: 5.5 minutes (cardio & stretch)
Workout: 75 minutes (toning)
Legs: 20 minutes
Chest: 10 minutes
Back: 8 minutes
Shoulders: 9 minutes
Biceps: 10 minutes
Triceps: 8 minutes
Core: 9 minutes
Cool-down: 11 minutes (stretch)
Total Workout Time: 91.5 minutes

Premixes
Split One Mix (63:22)
Warm-Up, Legs, Chest, Back, Core & Stretch
Split Two Mix (53:32)
Warm-Up, Chest, Biceps, Triceps, Core & Stretch
Split Three Mix (72:54)
Warm-Up, Legs, Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps, Core & Stretch

I think this DVD is very versatile and for $20 bucks you can have a weekly rotation adding cardio to your schedule.

A good weekly combo (2 times a week) is premix #1 and premix #3 if you want to hit legs more. If your arms needs more attention, then premix #2 and premix #3 sounds good.

Or 3 day split working upper with antagonistic muscle groups Legs, Shoulders/Biceps/Triceps and Chest & Back. Leaving one day in the middle of the week for upper small muscle groups and one for upper big muscle groups.

Or 3 day split working upper big and small muscle groups together. Legs, Chest/Bicep, back/tricep/Shoulders.

Or 4 day split, Legs, Chest, Back, tricep/Biceps/Shoulders

Or 4 days split working muscle groups twice a week as upper/lower

Day 1 Legs/Core
Day 2 chest/back/shoulders/triceps/biceps

repeat

Or 5 day split, Legs, Chest, Back, tricep/biceps and Shoulders

Or doing the workout entirely as a full body workouts. If you leave core and stretch it ends in 70 mins. I personally if I do full body as failure as I did it will be once a week.

frustyjan - seems that you and I are using Drop Sets in the same way I really waited until I reached failure and choose a very heavy weight to start each round. Everything was shaking when I finished this workout
Old 07-29-12, 03:14 PM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

Thanks so much Sharaz and cataddict - I think this is going on my wish list. I like that it doesn't use too much equipment - it seems her other strength workouts are so equipment heavy - and I like my toys, but just not too many in one workout
Old 07-29-12, 04:40 PM  
IrishOT

This does sound good. I never ordered because I never clicked with anything of Amy's in the past and everything I have had of hers I have SASEd or Traded. I don't think I will buy unless it goes on sale, but I will put it on my wish list
IrishOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 07:59 PM  
dls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharaz View Post
I rave about this workout at my check-in and want to share my feedback

Amy's Drop Sets Strength I did the workout entirely w/o core including a nice stretch on the ball. Amy's shows a variation of drop sets "predetermined descending weight rep ranges" no reaching total failure (3 sets per exercise) which is ok to built strength, but I did it the real drop set muscle building technique "continuing an exercises with a lower weight once muscle failure has been achieved at a higher weight" My HR was on the sky by the 1st split squat exercise, but dropped later on while working the small muscles. I like that it was not a "cardio effect". I was focused on lifting.

During the additional leg exercises she add some combo moves including upper body, but I kept with lower body only because I wanted to lift as much weight as possible with my legs until failure. During upper body she added different twists on each set. I was not on sync with her all the time, because by her her 1st drop I always pretty much was still using my heavy weight. Once I reach failure, I just catch whatever new variation she added to the exercise.

I was sore all over once I finished the workout. Today, I have some DOMS so I worked the muscles right. Is intense doing total body to failure. Is not the same as working one or two body parts to failure. By the final small muscle groups chapters, I was using much lighter weights because I couldn't lift to much on arms after chest/back/shoulders massacre lol I will do a total body workout like this weekly( failure) because muscles need proper recovery to obtain gains. Also, I'm not one that will use this technique often or as a regular weight training year around because the purpose is to shock the muscles. Maybe a monthly rotation will be right for me. I like to switch my workouts variables often.

The workout has 3 premixes. There are many options, including doing one body part per day split and adding HIIT cardio afterwards. That's one combo that came to my mind for a future body part split. Two of the pre-mixes can be done 2 times a week working leg twice. A nice split for me that love to work legs.

I think that either if you follow Amy's or take no rest continuing to failure this workouts is a gem. I know Amy from her kickbox and hi/low workouts, but really loved her strength work. Amy do not shows a hyper behavior in this workouts. She is calm and giving low key encouragements. Drops sets shows straight to the point weight lifting exercises with great form and pace

Sharaz,

I drop sets too

Deb
dls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 09:32 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

The minimal equipment is another plus as opposed to Slo Mo--the frequent equipment changes in that one was a bit much IMHO.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 05:34 PM  
isebelleg44

Bumping Thread

Bumping thread to share in the love fest. I ordered this on Saturday from Mary and got it today. Can I mention again how awesome Mary is!

Anyway today was a strength day and I ended up doing the entire 90 minute workout. The workout went by fast, which surprises as I usually workout an hour a day. I can't believe I wasn't watching the clock. I matched Amy's weights, but realized I could heavier on a lot of moves and will do so next time. I always loved Amy's personality, but the only workout I ever really clicked with is Kickbox Surge and now I have another one. Good workout and awesome stretch at the end!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 06:33 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Is there any way you turn the music off and just get her voice?
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 10:02 PM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
Is there any way you turn the music off and just get her voice?
I didn't see a music off option, unless I missed it.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 10:26 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
I didn't see a music off option, unless I missed it.
Thanks, isebelleg44.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amy bento, amy bento ross, drop set strength, drop sets