Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-12, 01:40 AM  
jacs

Q about drop set method of weight training.

Hi, inspired by viewing the clip for Amy Bento's drop set weights DVD, I've been trying to understand drop sets, but as usual am confused.

Is drop sets something you would do on its own (eg 3 times a week for a while) or something that you would tie in with other types of weight training, and if so, what (eg slow and heavy or moderate weight higher rep etc)?

Has anyone used this method successfully?

I'm currently doing CLX, and while this does not look the same, it does look like an interesting method of training and building strength.

Thanks for your responses.

Jacs
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-12, 03:54 AM  
Sharaz

Drop Set is a bodybuilding weight training technique to shock the muscles and stimulate grow. I'm not sure how Amy incorporated this on her DVD. My impression is that must be a variation of the bodybuilding technique. So, if you are training to build muscle , you can perform a drop sets workout. The frequency will depend on many factors. I have done drop sets, don't remember too much because I had done so many stuff. I think if you want to build muscle is a good technique between so many that bodybuilders use to stimulate grow. Here is an article about drop sets that include a sample routine. Even though you see males any female can apply it. Females are not going to get as bigger as a man.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...-building.html
Old 04-29-12, 09:30 AM  
Aunt Famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Is drop sets something you would do on its own (eg 3 times a week for a while) or something that you would tie in with other types of weight training, and if so, what (eg slow and heavy or moderate weight higher rep etc)?

Has anyone used this method successfully?
Yes, I have used drop sets successfully at the gym to give my muscles that nice, fried feeling. I typically use them as part of a weights workout targeting a particular body part -- I don't just do drop sets -- and often with the smaller muscles (like biceps and shoulders). I find them to be a great way to exhaust whatever reserves I have. For instance, let's say I'm working biceps. I'll do whatever other exercises I have on tap (hammer curls, cable curls, 21s, etc.). My last set of biceps training -- not each biceps exercise, but biceps training -- will be a drop set of curls to failure. In other words, I'll curl 30 lb. dumbbells until I can't do another rep, then drop to 25, then drop to 20, then to 15, then to 12, and then to 10 -- all curling until I can't do another rep. I may be able to eek out only two until failure with each weight, but I'll drop and keep going. If you do it right and genuinely work to failure, it will get you and get you good.

Hope this helps.
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-12, 08:09 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Cathe uses drop sets in Meso 2 of STS as one of the training protocols one week. Also you can do the back side of the pyramids in her Pyramid DVD. Just a different training protocol.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drop sets, strength