Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-15, 05:35 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
It would probably be a good idea for everyone to clear their mailboxes especially if your address is temporarily in a PM regarding a pending trade - just thinking.
Not a bad idea.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-15, 10:23 AM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

I have been in touch with my host about this, but there hasn't been any unusual activity.

Automated Bots like this may periodically try to create spam accounts or to log into existing accounts--that is normal, unfortunately--but unless the passwords are very easily guessed (like the classic "12345678" or "password") they get locked out after 3 attempts. The usual reason to try to gain access to an existing forum account, especially by bots, would be to post spam, since there is nothing of real value in forum profiles. Like Lisa said, it is possible they think there are credit card numbers and such on this site - I get emails all the time asking how to order videos.

I second the recommendation to make sure you use a password here (and on other forum sites) that is different from anything you use on a site where you make purchases or financial transactions. I have a strategy similar to what Lisa describes - a single, hard to guess password with unique characters inside it based on the domain name of each site.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 01:28 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

I just got this email myself, telling me they failed to log in at least five times with my user name. Grrrrrr. That's irritating! I have a decent, unique password for this site. Anything else I need to do?
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 09:07 PM  
Betty Boop

Aha! I kept trying to figure out how this intruder was able to send emails.

So, I randomly clicked on VF member names in various threads and noticed that some members are allowing people to send them emails, and some do not.

I suspect that anyone who has received one of these emails has checked the box in My VF that allows others to send them emails. My suggestion is to uncheck the box.

I'm no IT expert, but I doubt that the intruder knows any of the email addresses or passwords. All he/she has done is click on people's names in their posts and selected the option to send them an email.

The problem is if a VF person hits reply. Then the email address becomes visible to the intruder.

You have to be logged in to send the email, so this person may have gained access to someone's VF login info who did not make Wendy aware of the situation.
Old 02-09-15, 09:23 PM  
slinks

Carol, it's not the intruder sending the e-mails, it's VF automactically telling us that you or someone is trying to log onto your account using the wrong password 5 times, if this happens your retry is put on hold for 15 mins .. l frequently forget this site's password because l do not visit often and have requested a new password the last time it happened l wrote it down ...

Dear slinks,
Someone has tried to log into your account on Video Fitness Forum with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address:*202.171.253.84

All the best,Video Fitness Forum
slinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 09:30 PM  
slinks

But you are right, l clicked on my own send slinks an e-mail and sent myself a hi l got it .. but l can't see my e-mail address publically

l unticked, the only tick l have is that the admin can e-mail me .. which is what the above e-mail is
slinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 09:30 PM  
Betty Boop

Slinks - Thanks!
Old 02-09-15, 09:54 PM  
Betty Boop

Based upon all of this, I just changed my password.
Old 02-13-15, 01:08 PM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
I just got this email myself, telling me they failed to log in at least five times with my user name. Grrrrrr. That's irritating! I have a decent, unique password for this site. Anything else I need to do?
Nope, that should be fine.

However, anyone who has gotten one of those auto-generated emails CAN post the IP address that was listed in the email you got in this thread (they seem to be from China) and I will ban those IP addresses, which prevents those IPs from accessing the forum at all. If you have already sent one to me by pm or email, I have already banned the IP's involved. Unfortunately they use a lot of different IPs.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 01:20 PM  
shoegoddess

I didn't receive the email but changed my password just in case

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spam, spam pm