Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-06-11, 01:24 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I changed my passwords for the store accounts I had. (luckily just two places). I don't do banking or have credit cards from anywhere on that list.

I don't know whether to do anything with Beachbody. I haven't bought anything from them in about five years, and I don't store credit card information there. I never even go to their website anymore. They have my e-mail since I signed up for newsletters. Is it necessary to do anything?

Thanks!
Sherry
I don't think it is necessary to do anything with Beachbody. I suppose the safe thing to do would be to change the password on affected sites where we have done business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
I have a capitol one credit card and haven't heard anything from them...anyone here think I should get a new card?
That's not a bad idea, but at this point, there hasn't been any announcement that the hackers have gotten credit card information. I would assume that the credit card companies would issue new cards if they thought that the hackers had that information, in order to avoid massive credit card fraud.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 02:01 PM  
ardnas

I was startled to receive an email from HSN before this was even on the news the other week, and have since received a handful more from Beachbody and the like.
I'm not worried about it. Epsilon is a company that handles email marketing, nothing more. Credit card info and passwords are stored on secure servers within the individual companies.
Old 04-06-11, 05:52 PM  
mspina

I got about 5 of these announcement emails from ..... everyone I use online. Apparently, the company who was breached has a HUGE market share out there!

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 09:59 AM  
KathAL79

Sadly I just received an email about this from TIAA-Cref, a company which commonly handles retirement benefits for educational and cultural institutions.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 10:21 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post
Sadly I just received an email about this from TIAA-Cref, a company which commonly handles retirement benefits for educational and cultural institutions.
Crap! I didn't get one yet (haven't checked my work email yet today), but I have my retirement benefits in there.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 10:36 AM  
sherry7899

Uh oh..I have a TIAA Cref from an old employer. It's for a 401K. Actually, I never even gave them an e-mail address, so I wonder if I have to worry?

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 04:24 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Today I got a fake e-mail from Paypal. It had my name in it, and a link to take a survey. I spoke to someone at Paypal who confirmed it was fake.

I wonder if this is the result of the Epsilon hacking incident.
Old 04-07-11, 04:47 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Haven't noticed any emails...yet...but I changed one account's password anyway. I've got a TIAA-Cref account, but I don't think they even have my email addy and no password.
Old 04-27-11, 07:31 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

The hacking news just got worse. Apparently Sony's Play Station users' information, including name, addresses, credit card information, e-mail, and passwords, were all stolen last week. I read that it affects over 77 million users worldwide .

One thing all this hacking teaches us is that we need to have unique passwords for important websites like our banks and credit card companies. We should not use the same password at different websites, especially where the website has our credit card or other personal information.

The unique online credit card numbers, offered by companies such as Discover and Bank of America Visa, are the best way to try to avoid unauthorized charges. The BOA Visa allows you to limit the amount and time that a charge can be placed on that particular credit card number, so that one is even more secure than Discover, which allows repeated charges by the same vendor.

There's been a lot of news recently about how Apple and other cell phone companies have been tracking users' whereabouts and storing the information. I turn off location services on my Apple devices unless I need it for an application. Our privacy seems to be eroding quickly.

Tags
beach body, beachbody, spam