Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-21, 04:27 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Update: I got an Essentrics DVD set and did a 15-minute psoas/IT band/knees stretch segment today, and it was honestly tougher than I thought, but I could tell it did some good. I'm going to integrate this into my regime on a very regular basis. I think some of the problem is I have not been doing my regular yoga and barre practice since COVID, as I'm afraid to reenter my studio until I get vaccinated, and a lot of non-stretch specific workouts really don't actually stretch you out very well in their purported stretch segment. I forget where I read that you should really hold stretches for at least 20 seconds, and I can't think of any that actually do that. Since I've also been focused on weight loss workouts rather than stretching, yoga, pilates, barre, or fusion, I have really been suffering from the absence of those modalities, which I think were warding off "middle age" hip problems.

Anyway, TL;DR, Essentrics is awesome, and this DVD set has a total of 6 different workouts on it, so I'm going to rotate them in, plus will try some of the other suggestions, too.
Which set did you get?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-21, 07:57 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJo View Post
I use this 10-12 minute hip-opener routine from Rodney Yee a lot. When I recently had two different injuries to the same knee within 2 1/2 months, this was my bedtime yoga every night because I knew it wouldn't bother my knee. It gets my hips, low back, thighs, hamstrings, calves and Achilles tendons. And it's filmed outdoors in Yosemite. This routine is the Garden section of his Yoga for Meditation. It's on a couple of meditation DVDs as well as more than one cover version for the Yoga DVD.

Yoga for Meditation - Garden
Thanks for mentioning this, I have the DVD (re-acquired it after getting rid of it years ago.) This practice looks like exactly what I need now a short routine to use after walking, strength training or whenever I need a stretch. I have been neglecting stretching and feeling it.
Thanks also for the Yoga by Adrienne recommendation.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-21, 10:17 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Which set did you get?
I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/ESSENTRICS-Ul...tag=mozilla-20

It's a little pricey, but it's a 2 DVD set with a total of 6 segments on it, 2 longer 30-minute practices and 4 15-minute ones. I've only done the 15-minute psoas/IT one so far, but a day later I'm actually still feeling some relief from it.
Old 01-28-21, 10:21 AM  
donnamp

I really like Essentrics/CS for psoas, hip flexor, lower back etc.

today I did a Yoga w/ Kassandra Practice on You Tube - it was 30 min Beginner Therapeutic Hip and Lower Back practice - it was a good one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybgqdffxrQE

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-21, 11:15 AM  
boundingaway

I love Essentrics workouts too. These really soothe my body.

But for stretching gains which stay in my body I use the BendableBody method. This is resistance stretching. It's absolutely no fun, but BOY does it work! I do some of this everyday now, I think of it like taking a vitamin or brushing my teeth. My hamstrings are soooooooo much better after a year of regular Bendablebody stretching.

They offer free classes every once in a while on FB and have live streamed classes to which you can subscribe. They also offer a membership site which has a search function where you can look up solutions for troublesome spots.

https://bendablebody.com

hope this helps you as much as it has helped me
Old 01-29-21, 12:28 AM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Thanks for mentioning this, I have the DVD (re-acquired it after getting rid of it years ago.) This practice looks like exactly what I need now a short routine to use after walking, strength training or whenever I need a stretch.
I'm very happy to hear this. Hope it does fill that need for you. I love having workouts that I know will do just what I need right then and that I reach for frequently.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-21, 06:59 PM  
bjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/ESSENTRICS-Ul...tag=mozilla-20

It's a little pricey, but it's a 2 DVD set with a total of 6 segments on it, 2 longer 30-minute practices and 4 15-minute ones. I've only done the 15-minute psoas/IT one so far, but a day later I'm actually still feeling some relief from it.
I love the psoas and hip flexor stretch on this one! For a slightly shorter version her daughter Sahra has a free one on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipci...7TM_-m_KnZwG2Z
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-21, 08:35 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Here's a short (8m) routine I like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da6Z...nnel=DocJenFit

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bobandbrad, hip flexor, hip openers, psoas