Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-18, 04:59 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I think those are wonderful achievements, especially since you weren't eating so great. Well done!!

ETA - How heavy were the weights you used if you don't mind my asking?
I started with 3, 5, 7 and 10's Towards the end, my lightest weights were the 7's. My highest weight was 25 lb kettle bell. He does the moves a lot slower ( but not slow) than what I am used to and wants you to concentrate on your form. I was really bad about not tucking my elbows in against my body when curling and just making that correction makes the weights seem heavier. Also when doing skull crushers, in the past my arms would not always be over my shoulder and making the correction of keeping the elbows in makes a big difference on what you can lift. In the earlier routines you are doing chest and tris or back and bi's and your smaller muscles get used in doing some of the bigger muscle exercises like presses and pulls, so when you get to the smaller muscles, they are a little more fatigued. I am so excited that I got my Power blocks today as I really wanted some more options with what I was lifting. I think with the power blocks the poundage goes up by 3 lbs. Much easier than a 5lb jump in weight. Good luck to you all starting in October. With getting BOD, it's a great deal. I heard that on October 1st Joel was going to have a big facebook group for people starting the program. The last one was only open to coaches, but this should be for everyone who is doing the program
Old 09-06-18, 05:09 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Liift 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
Congrats! Those are amazing results. Just curious, what do you do on the off days since LIIFT is only 4 days a week? Are those rest days?
In the earlier part of the program, I would do Leslie, or Jessica walking, outside walking if it was nice . Some Yoga or stretching. Once or twice I would add in an extra leg day as you are only doing legs once per week, but I stopped that as some of his HIIT days included a lot of leg work. In the last 2 weeks of the program he mixes up the workouts a bit. Instead of chest/tris, back/bi's, shoulder and circuit hit, and legs and HIIT, he does back and chest, legs and HITT, arms circuit and then a full body HIIT.

I really liked that he added Abs for every workout, they are the last thing that you do before you stretch.

Towards the end, I would only add gentle walking or yoga as I feel this 57 year old body needed the rest. But you can do what you want. Joel just suggests that you do not do any extra HITT or weights. When I added lower body day in the beginning , I would only do bodyweight or floor leg work.
Old 09-06-18, 06:59 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
Just curious, what do you do on the off days since LIIFT is only 4 days a week? Are those rest days?
I took some of them as rest days, and others would add in a dancy cardio or a Leslie routine. Like Chaplyn, this 57 year old body needed the rest!

As I said upthread, Joel's form pointers are really good. I feel like my understanding of form, particularly around my shoulders, has really improved. I didn't increase my weights that much, but as the OP said, once I really focused on form, I found the lifting to still be really challenging.

Gwynn
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-18, 06:06 AM  
CHAPLYN61

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfreund View Post
I took some of them as rest days, and others would add in a dancy cardio or a Leslie routine. Like Chaplyn, this 57 year old body needed the rest!

As I said upthread, Joel's form pointers are really good. I feel like my understanding of form, particularly around my shoulders, has really improved. I didn't increase my weights that much, but as the OP said, once I really focused on form, I found the lifting to still be really challenging.

Gwynn
I used to hate to work shoulders as I have had some issues in the past. I was able to go heavier safely with all moves except the overhead press. I stayed lighter with this and did them with dumbbells facing in as this puts less pressure on the shoulders. My upright row I ended up at 15-20 pounds!
Old 09-07-18, 08:14 AM  
lizh

Congrats! Those are great results! The program looks good! I'm tempted.
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 09:40 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Congrats! You did awesome and had some great results!

Enjoy your Powerblocks, I have a couple of pair and use the smaller set for 18 lb. or 21 lb. increments during LIIFT4.

Are you going to do another round?
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 11:22 AM  
wendug

Congrats on completing your rotation and seeing results! I like that you mentioned that he moves slower than you are used to and concentrates on form. I'm leaning more towards workouts like this as I can lift heavier than in workouts where the weight work is at lightning speed! Your post has me tempted...might have to ask for a subscription as a present!

Tags
liift4