Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-14, 02:23 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

OT - Scam reminder/warning

I just got a call from my son -- it seems that someone called my elderly father-in-law pretending to be my son, asking for $2000 immediately in the aftermath of a car accident with a diplomat . . . sadly, my FIL, who is normally quite sharp but who is sick right now with pneumonia, fell for it and the money is gone. The thief told him that he didn't have cell phone reception, so he couldn't call to check on him, etc., etc.

This is an old scam, of course. It also happens with great regularity in faith communities. Someone gets a hold of a church directory and calls a number of people claiming to be so-and-so, stuck in Berlin, or some such nonsense. It's always an elaborate story, with 15 reasons why you don't have time to check on what's happening. They prey on the fact that most people are caring and loving and want to do the right thing.

I'm so upset - I'm sure my FIL is just sick at heart right now. And I worry about my other relatives and how we can avoid this happening ever again (or having it happen in my faith community). I figured a reminder would be good for all of us. I'll bring it up in church on Sunday, too.

Gwynn
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
junk mail, scam alert, scams, spam, telemarketers